How will our current designs/trend/styles age in 30 years?

Discussion in 'Styling & Decorating' started by TMNT, 30th Mar, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

So ive just been looking at a few pics of designs from the 60s-70s, and theyre god ugly,
    what were people thinking...
    did the people at the time design like this and stand back and say "wow that looks great!!, money well spent"

to be honest, I like modern designs, and I feel even though they will age, they will always be pleasant,

Will people look back at us in 30 years and say "god, what were they thinking?"

here are some examples of what I am talking about
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I will never get tired of this kind of design
    [​IMG]

That being said back in the 90s , there was the fad of architect designed, colourful, out of the box design, like this, which have aged poorly, and now simply look tacky

[​IMG]

Truly Exotic likes this.
  2. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Having lived through the 60s and 70s, I have to say that, even then, those photos would have been considered over-the-top and should not be thought of as the norm.
    Marg

Truly Exotic, TMNT and wylie like this.
  3. peastman

peastman Well-Known Member

It seems that anything designed between 10 and 30 years earlier will look bad. Then around 40 years it seems to start looking better again. I remember in the 70's looking at some 1940's buildings with the same thought "What were they thinking". Now they are classic with timeless beauty. Some 1960's places are now getting that "classic" feeling, while some 1990's places just look off. Although, bad design is just bad design and it does not matter if it is old or new.

Truly Exotic, vbplease and TMNT like this.
  4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Everything will date. And I like that besser block place with the raked roof.

Joynz likes this.
  5. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

My place as it is currently. It's a wee ripper, an all time classic from around 1900. Screenshot_2016-02-29-08-44-44.png

However... this is the front of my place from around 1967 to 1982.... yep... the owners got rid of the original verandah and turned that space into 2 bedrooms. A "gorgeous" and hugely value adding reno by today's tastes and standards....:eek:
    2018-03-30 21.07.40.jpg

I think back in history there were quite a few more sandstone homes in the suburb, but they all had been knocked down. All I can think of is that they weren't appreciated by house buyers. These days, (as far as I know), I think there's only 2 sandstone homes in the suburb remaining.

Btw... sandstone is great to live in... stays naturally cool for days in hot weather. Just like today.

Last edited: 30th Mar, 2018
    gman65 likes this.
  6. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

I agree.. and good design can maintain its modern status over the long term. Can you believe the Barcelona Pavillon was originally built in the 1920’s? It bred the mid-century modern design, and still a replica built today would still be considered modern.

There’s a few trends used today which I think are a bit overdone (use of grey, and the hamptons style). I think over time people will just get more bored of this rather than say ‘oh god what we’re they thinking’.

TMNT likes this.
  7. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

That block house looks like something from a recent Grand Designs.

On another note, what about those dark brown stone vertical strips people have in their bathrooms these days. Aren't they due to go out of style any moment?

8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I think they are already out of style. It is hard to make any bathroom or kitchen future proof in the style department.

I guess white wall tiles, neutral(ish) floor tiles, white fittings and add interest with lights (easily changed) and artwork and towels etc is the safest way to go for bathrooms. It means no memorable "WOW" factor though.

Angel likes this.
  9. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I know we're going to look back at the vast tracts of "same old same old" cheap spec house being built over and over again - massive garage at the front, small porch, bedroom at the front - and think ugh.

Actually. I think that now.

Brendon and Joynz like this.
  10. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

I find the current interior design trend of dark floor and stark white everything else utterly depressing and anemic, devoid of any personality. Its like they design it to look the same as on trend houses on pinterest and not because its actually nice

11. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

i personally dont really like the new standalone bath tubs that look like a soap dish,
    they are good that it opens up the bathroom,
    my initial impressions was of tackiness and fadness,
    now I think you look like pot roast, ready to be cooked

Last edited: 7th Apr, 2018
    Truly Exotic and PJG like this.
  12. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I like it... but to be honest... I use my bath as a bath maybe twice a year.

Truly Exotic likes this.
  13. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

I’m liking plywood for ceiling and wall lining at the moment.. especially with shadow lines and black accents (lights/fans etc).
    although not everyone’s tast, I think I’d still like it in 30years time because of the warmth/character it has..

F7041E15-79FB-4228-B967-9E21B8A49B30.jpeg ACDBAE07-065F-4228-8515-73C18EC77AD3.jpeg

wylie likes this.