how will i go? early retirement or dreaming?

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by Mr Properties, 23rd Feb, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Now Now, @kierank is a 1%er. The majority of us aren't in his stratosphere. The mortals will have to make do with a merely comfortable lifestyle, while bat **** is the sticky stuff that wrecks the paintwork on a car and is incredibly difficult to cleanff the driveway. Please don't scare off the newbies!

Last edited by a moderator: 27th Feb, 2020
    KateSydney likes this.
  2. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

You know you can freeze the excess for later.

3. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I understand this is only a problem for people who live on the north side of the Brisbane River. That is why I live on the southside :p.
    You know I am NOT a scary person :D.

Last edited by a moderator: 24th Feb, 2020
  4. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

@Mr Properties you haven't advised the value of your properties. What net yield % are you getting from your property portfolio? And how important is CG prospects?

Since you will own most of the portfolio outright, you will not have the leverage and tax advantages that makes property so special. It sounds like you are chasing yield, and even if capital growth is important, property does not necessarily outperform other asset classes in this regard without leverage. I also see that your unit and townhouse have some serious overheads (strata, council rates, etc) that are eating in to your net income.

Have you considered selling one or two properties and reinvesting in equities to get better return on your capital? 4+% dividend yield is easily possible in the market (plus capital growth) and it comes without the headaches of unforeseen maintenance & repairs, etc plus it comes with franking credits and easier access to liquidity. Of course there are risks of market downturns, but while you are young with the ability to earn income on the side if required, the impacts of temporary paper losses and dividend reductions in the event of an economic downturn is less acute. Compared to your average retiree. Worth a thought.

ellejay and Angel like this.
  5. Darwin55

Darwin55 Well-Known Member

Sounds good to me. I could easily entertain myself between fishing, golf, crabbing.... good luck

Angel likes this.
  6. shelleykins

shelleykins Well-Known Member

I know this was an old post and interest rates might be throwing a spanner in the works, but go for it, if you can....

The Story of the Mexican Fisherman - Be More with Less

craigc, Properwin, TAJ and 1 other person like this.