How Tough is it as a mortgage broker today?

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by MTR, 2nd Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

True.

I might have to try that out.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

It probably wouldn't drive much engagement/followers on the platform itself, but if most clicks to their tweet content was coming via the PC sidebar, then the same post every 4 hours might make a lot of sense ;)

3. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

Its tougher sure, mainly in terms of time to get loan approvals through (compliance and additional work involved). Those that are established probably have it a bit easier in terms of actual income.

Also, i think in the medium term, as of right now, broking is still really good. Its not as good as it was, but its not particularly tough.

It'll get a lot worse in coming months and years IMO. Go 5-10 year + horizons, i doubt the market will exist anywhere near the size that it is today and there'll be a major contraction in numbers. So it'll be a lot tougher IMO. Wait for the fall out of the royal commission and some of this may be expedited far quicker than those horizons.

Perhaps i'm way of the mark & I prefer to train my mind to think like this. The fear of being non-existant is a driver of change & relative attempts at innovation in our business.

Re marketing automation, its quite easy to implement and relatively effective traffic flow through @Terry_w. IMO getting attention is not a sign of someone struggling, its the opposite.

@MTR - probably a good idea to source alternative income sources. We haven't gone down this route right now, but i certainly recognise that some of the property skills obtained via broking does bode well for success in other property sector professions (planners, BA's, developers, etc).

MTR and Terry_w like this.
  4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

If things are getting tougher for MB in current environment, then wont it be the same for BA if focussing on one State??

5. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Don't forget that both MBs and BAs only source a part of their business from investor clients - in my experience the bread and butter business is from the owner occupiers upgrading (and expats etc).