How to write a review on PropertyChat

Discussion in 'Property Experts' started by Simon Hampel, 8th Apr, 2024.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Executive summary:
    • reviews (both positive and negative) from members who have joined specifically to post them, are not permitted and will be removed
    • we will generally accept reviews or comments on service providers from established members who have a history of contribution to the site, provided such posts don't otherwise break the rules
    • any post which we consider may be defamatory, is against the rules and will be removed
    • we encourage all members - including newly registered users - to post detailed descriptions of their personal experiences, focusing on what they themselves did, what the outcomes were, and what they personally learned.
      • If the focus is on being educational, it adds value
      • If the focus is on causing harm to a service provider, it does not add value and will likely be removed

Introduction and background

With the rapid growth in businesses offering "buyers agent" services, including "property advisory" and other advice based services - we have seen a marked increase in the number of people seeking feedback and posting reviews of such services.

The problems I face as a website operator dealing with such requests and reviews are numerous - but the number one issue I have to deal with on an almost weekly basis, are threats from lawyers representing service providers who feel they have been defamed by comments made on PropertyChat.

I've been dealing with these threats for well over 20 years now, since I took over administration of Somersoft back in 2002. In my experience, the vast majority of the compaints are largely baseless - just because you don't like what someone has to say about you, doesn't necessarily make it defamatory.

However, I cannot ever definitively state that a post is not defamatory - that is up to a court of law to decide, and I have zero interest in defending myself (as the publisher of the site) against claims that I have allowed defamatory comments to be posted by an anonymous third party, regardless of the veracity (or lack therein) of the claim.

If I agree that a post clearly crosses the line and the moderation team haven't already identified the post as problematic, I'll delete the post - it is against my rules for the site to post defamatory material. However, if I decide that the post is a genuine review of someone's experience and likely doesn't stray into the area of defamation, I'll push back and challenge the lawyers to identify exactly what parts of the post are defamatory - which they almost never do because it likely won't hold up in a court of law.

Just as an aside, I have actually been taken to court twice over posts made on PropertyChat - so I'm quite aware of the process and how it works. I also have a relationship with a well regarded defamation lawyer who has helped me deal with extremely aggressive lawyers in the past where their bullying was relentless.

But this is where my next challenge arises - identifying which posters are genuine. The internet is full of review sites containing reviews (both positive and negative) which are made either by people paid to post them - or by people incentivised to post (which includes threats!). Offering someone a discount or some other form of compensation - whether monetary or otherwise - brings the authenticity of the review into question. How can we differentiate between someone who is posting fake reviews for their own profit versus someone who is profiting from posting a genuine review? Is the latter really better than the former if we can't tell the difference between them?

Astroturfing is a massive problem online - this is the practice of masking the sponsors of a message or organisation to make it appear as though it originates from and is supported by "grassroots" participants. Astroturf is a brand of fake grass, hence the term astroturfing to refer to fake reviews. This works both ways - both praising a business to raise their profile, or (typically by a competitor or someone pushing an agenda) criticising a business to cause them harm.

I have no interest in trying to validate someone's authenticity by checking that they are a genuine customer or reviewing invoices and such. I don't want to get involved in any disputes, nor do I have the ability to check that the invoices themselves are even legitimate - it's pretty trivial to mock up a fake invoice. There is no incentive for the service provider to validate things from their end - indeed, privacy laws would generally prevent this in any case, so it's practically impossible for me to conclusively determine whether someone is genuine or not, even if I could be bothered. It also doesn't help identify cases of astroturfing where a business is actively involved in posting or commissioning fake reviews.

I'm not really interested in having people sign up to the site for the sole purpose of posting a negative review of a service provider - even if they are genuine. That's not what this site is for, the user isn't interested in contributing to the community - they just have an axe to grind and are trying to cause harm to a business because they believe that they have been wronged or are trying to force them to provide a refund.

Even if the user is completely genuine - there are always two sides to these stories, and if the service provider is not already engaged on the site or is not interested in replying to random complaints made on forums - then we don't get to hear the other side to provide balance to the argument. That doesn't invalidate the experiences of the user - but it does make it more difficult to justify allowing an anonymous and unverified user to post damaging comments on the site.

I've had a moderation policy on PropertyChat for quite a few years now, banning reviews from new members without any significant post history. This covers both negative and positive reviews. In just the past 48 hours, I've had to explain to four separate users why their posts were removed - they joined solely to post a negative review of a service provider. I don't really suspect that any of these users are less than genuine - but in every case, the posts were clearly intended to cause harm, and could quite possibly have been found defamatory based on the language used, which makes them problematic for me to allow on the site.

How to write a review

At the risk of creating more work for myself, I figured it was possibly worth explaining the circumstances under which I would potentially allow a post to remain - and indeed, how to craft a post that will be taken as a genuine review.

The concept is quite simple: don't make it about them; make it about you.

There is significant benefit to our community to hear people's stories - to hear about their experience, their mistakes, their successes, what worked and what they might do differently next time.

So, don't write a review about a service provider - tell us about what you did, about what happened to you, what mistakes you made, how you managed the issues and what the outcome for you was. Focus on educating people about your experience and your mistakes - not about attacking the service provider. You can't be accused of defamation when writing about yourself.

You can write factual information about what the service provider did or said, and how that affected you and what the outcomes for you were. However, as soon as you start using emotional or aggressive language to describe the events or the provider, as soon as you start calling them names or accusing them of illegal or unethical activity - it becomes very problematic, regardless of how much you've written about yourself. If the entire tone of the post is to try to stop other people from engaging with the service provider, then you're taking the wrong approach. The focus should be on education, not on revenge.

What not to do

Here are some examples of problematic text from posts that have been deleted from PropertyChat in the recent past:
    • avoid at all costs
    • steer clear
    • stay far away
    • I personally wouldn't go near them
    • dont go there, they are terrible
    • do not work with this predatory organisation
    • don't buy through them; they're a scam
    • dodgy
    • we signed up with these muppets, they were terrible
    • rude, condescending, arrogant
    • I don't think a shower can wash off the filth from this slimy used car salesman
    • I have been unsuccessful in getting a refund after calling out their lies
    • they also post fake 5 Star Google reviews on their website from fake accounts, inflating and fabricating their profile
    • nothing but misleading and deceitful, typical spruiker
    • they have no morals or dignity, greedy scammers
    • continually is rude, disrespectful and vague
    • they sent us forged documents
    • our life savings is being held ransom by his lifestyle and shady dealings
    • they are a bunch of con men
    • they are incompetent and unprofessional
    • I would rather lie in a bath of fire ants than deal with them ever again
    • it's clear the founder has a serious case of Messiah complex and will do anything to continue the illusion that they have the secret weapon to successful investing
    • a very long list of victims he has swindled millions from across Australia and overseas
    • one of the most dangerous white collar criminals in this country
    • nothing but disgusting fraud or criminal
    • their dirty tricks
    • do not be the next victim of this ****ing fraud
    • couldn't agree more to the incompetence of this person
    In a few of these cases, they had largely written well about their experiences and how it affected them - but then ruined it by including the type of language listed above which changed the entire tone of the post from something educational to something clearly intended to attack and likely defamatory.

So while I encourage people to post about their experiences - any use of this type of emotive or aggressive language, or any accusation of illegal or unethical behaviour, will cause posts to be deleted.

To be clear - you cannot accuse anyone of:
    • lying
    • fraud
    • being a scammer
    • being dodgy
    • being a spruiker
    • being a con man or con artist
    • being incompetent
    • being unprofessional
    • being a criminal
    • having no morals
    • unethical behaviour
    • any kind of illegal activity
    This is not a complete list - just some examples of what will automatically cause your post to be removed by the moderators.

It doesn't matter if you have evidence of wrongdoing - this is not a court of law and we are not in a position to weigh your evidence or cross examine the parties involved in your dispute. You're not looking for justice - you're looking for revenge, and that is not what this site is here for. You should be looking to educate more than anything else - that's the type of content I want posted on PropertyChat. If nobody can learn anything from your post (other than "don't use this provider" :rolleyes: ), then it's probably taking the wrong approach.

I should also point out that posting links to defamatory material on other sites is grounds enough for someone to bring a claim of defamation against the poster and this site (there is legal precendence here!), so such activity will also see your posts deleted.

Regardless of my suggestions above - posts will still be removed if we feel they are problematic in any way, so please be mindful about how you post. I understand the emotive nature of the issues people face - but posting while angry is rarely likely to end well. We do want to know about your experiences - but we want to know what you've learned from the experience, not just who you felt did the wrong thing.

Conclusion

If it's educational and it adds value to the site and our community, I'm going to want it posted here.

Last edited: 9th Apr, 2024
    Justin_Z, Redom, Ash11 and 10 others like this.
  2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Did you see the media about Grubisa & family over the weekend ? ;) From the perspective of the ACCC and the courts

Grubisa doubles down (again) after ACCC hearing

Its a great example of reporting fact not opinion. They didnt say anyone lied. They explained that the comments made were like the ACCC suggested - Misleading and not truthful.

Terry would have liked the comment she made in a video to her worshipers that explains her solid legal credentials that explain what she does v everyone else ....
    “a whole lot of bookish stuff in [her] head. Statute law. Case law”.
    The vibe of the laws too.

Last edited: 8th Apr, 2024
    See Change likes this.
  3. Burramys

Burramys Well-Known Member

Simon, wow, I had no idea it was that bad. Product review ProductReview.com.au has a policy of verified posts, where someone has an invoice, email exchange or the like to prove that it's a genuine positive post by a customer and not a company person, or a genuine negative post by a customer and not someone from the opposition or with a grievance.

All my posts on Product review are verified, and most are positive. Where matters have come unstuck, instead of writing that XYZ are a ***** of ##### (select from your list) I state the facts. This is done calmly in polite language, the sort of words Mum, the young children or the Vicar would accept, if perhaps not understand the technical aspects.

I have a moderately high bar for bad conduct and a lower one for good conduct. Angry words make the person writing look a bit foolish.

Maybe you could send an email to regular users of this website - perhaps 500 posts over two years or more - advising of this thread and asking us to alert mods if a post looks bad.

See Change likes this.
  4. Paul@PAS

Productreview.com.au asks for a receipt. It isnt needed however if subscribed. All it needs is a temporary email. Some places only republish posts by known product purchasers too which limits the product allowed to review. Many booking sites are same. People post comments like - Your restaurant was disgusting...and the place doesnt have a restaurant. People post negative posts when influencers get told to take a hike. Or they post with a specific aim to harm the busienss when they may just be a little ****** off. Google reviews have had some prominent cases where the courts have ordered identity disclosure and this has led to defamation claims.

Forums are a minefield. It starts with one post asking - would you buy through XYZ Properties ? A few says - Yeah OK. One says aweful things perhaps true, perhaps embellished and perhaps a competitor etc.

See Change likes this.
  5. Burramys

Burramys Well-Known Member

This is too true. People say things online that they would not say to a person standing in front of them. Facts and logic are sometimes missing. The TV series Dragnet had a catchphrase, "Just the facts, ma'am." Adopting this while expressing an opinion is useful, in the form, "This happened so I believe ..."

See Change likes this.
  6. Simon Hampel

I've had a few people make reference to ProductReview policies in response to having their posts deleted on PropertyChat. The main difference I see if that ProductReview typically deals with consumer retail products or services worth no more than a few hundreds or perhaps a couple of thousand dollars. Most retailers are high volume low(ish) value and there is generally no implied promise of future performance beyond that which is described in the product marketing. You don't expect that your $2,000 phone will be worth more than it was when you bought it or that you will make a certain amount of income from buying some retail product.

Property investors and property investment advice companies and service providers are dealing with potentially tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars - and typically the implied promise of future growth or income in return for their money. The amount of money at stake and the potential for people to lose everything makes this a very different game - there is so much more at risk, including people's reputation and livlihood.

I have no interest in protecting the bad operators out there - indeed, I wish we could protect people from themselves more readily - but the truth is that not every bad deal was bad or went bad because the operator was themselves bad. Nobody can guarantee what the market will do. Nobody can guarantee that government regulation won't change. And **** happens. It is equally common that a mismatch of expectations leads to someone being dissatisfied with the process or the outcome, regardless of the best efforts and intentions of the service provider. This is why hearing both sides of the story is critical to understanding what actually went on - and even then, it's not always a case that one party is solely to blame.

It's very different expecting that your $1,000 device should do something it won't, or that your dining experience is something that it wasn't - compared to expecting that someone will be able to make you wealthy with little or no risk. But that's exactly what a lot of people do expect - and that's not the reality of how investment works. In some cases, that's the fault of the service provider and their marketing promising things they shouldn't or can't. In other cases, it's simply that the investor doesn't understand the nature of what they're doing or the service they are purchasing, or thinks that paying someone $15,000 absolves them of any responsibility for when they lose that money or more.

When I respond to posts on PropertyChat asking if someone has experience dealing with company XYZ - I typically start by asking them questions. Why are they considering this company? What is it you think they offer that attracts you to them? What do you think you're going to get out of the relationship? Who else have you considered? What is your end goal? etc - there's a million questions that could be asked to try and help the poster think through the issue and understand whether they are even asking the right questions.

At the end of the day, if my $3,000 television stops working and the warranty has expired and it's going to cost too much to repair, I'm going to be annoyed. But if my $500,000 investment purchased for me by my $15K property investment adviser, becomes worth less than I owe and I'm not getting the expected rent to cover my repayments and I'm facing bankruptcy - then this is a potentially life changing event that will take many years to recover from. Having a TV stop working rarely destroys relationships. Having an investment go bad absolutely could.

And then there's the service providers employing multiple staff with all of the overheads that includes, who do their very best for their clients but still have to face bad reviews from unrealistic expectations, maliciously stingy investors who want discounts or freebies for everything, or even just bad luck. Not every service provider is bad and sometimes bad stuff just happens. The risks to service providers from malicious reviews are real and the amount of money involved makes it sometimes necessary (and worthwhile!) to pursue legal avenues to deal with them.

The economics of dealing with low volume high value transactions such as those in real estate makes the consequences of individuals' actions significant, compared to those high volue low value transactions typically found in the retail consumer space.

See Change and Burramys like this.
  7. strannik

strannik Well-Known Member

happens more often than you think. when there's no TV the partners might have to start talking to each other and discover that they are living with someone who is not who they thought they are :p

on a serious note though, i see that a lot of review on ProductReview seem to use the kind of wording you mention. I wonder how they get around the liability for hosting those kind of reviews? or is it simply a matter of them having money for their own legal staff to keep the other lawyers away?

8. Simon Hampel

Under Australian law, a company cannot sue for defamation (see note about exceptions below) and most of the reviews on ProductReview will be complaining about a larger company or their products/services rather than an individual, hence there's rarely anything that a company can legally do about such reviews. There is scope for "injurious falsehood" claims - but they are much more difficult to prove given you have to actually prove the comments were malicious and that they caused actual damage.

There are exceptions: not-for-profits and companies which employ fewer than 10 people - particularly if the nature of the comments can be construed as being directed against an individual. This will especially be the case for your typical small businesses that are dealt with in the property investment space - for example, a buyers agent. Even if the individual is not named, these business are generally small enough that comments made about the business are readily construed as comments made about the principal (or principals), such as the directors and thus could be taken as defamatory.

Paul@PAS and strannik like this.
  9. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

Defamation Law - Arts Law Centre of Australia

Defences include:
    1. Honest opinion (also known as defence of fair comment)
    2. Justification/Truth
    3. Qualified privilege
    4. Innocent dissemination
    5. Public Interest
    6. Triviality
    the defence of contextual truth

Where's "insanity" or "It was my chatbot"?....

And interesting case was the "cyberbully" that watched too many american tube vids
    John Barilaro awarded $715,000 defamation payout as Google, Friendlyjordies referred for contempt

And I'm pretty sure I've recently seen bots talk to each other on a couple threads.

...In other news the latest few reincarnations of xrumer use chatgpt

10. Simon Hampel

The trick with defenses to defamation accusations, is that you have to actually defend yourself, which can be a very very expensive exercise.

11. Pheebz

Pheebz Active Member

This is terrible. Bad reviews are a part of business.

Though if this is members complaining about posts against them, I think it’s important to consider that the whole “business member” label makes users trust them. I reckon if members complain about a “business member” it should be investigated (I’m not talking about a huge investment of time here but if members are trusting this label then being burned it’s hardly advantageous to the forum).

Last edited: 8th Apr, 2024
  12. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

A forum is for discussion not consumer complaints or ratings.
    And it's not the role of forum mods to take the place of Fair Trading or ACC and start "investigating" complaints or accusations.
    I would'n blindly trust someone just because they're a business member, although I'm generation caveat emptor.
    Would you?

Simon Hampel likes this.
  13. Simon Hampel

If an established member were to post a reasonable negative review about any service provider, I would generally allow it to remain posted, regardless of whether they are a business member or not. By reasonable I mean where the poster has gone to the trouble of posting sufficient detail about the issues, without resorting to language that could be defamatory.

Being a business member doesn't provide any automatic protection from negative reviews - but my rules still stand. A member joining specifically to post a negative review about a business member (or any other service provider) would be deleted, and any review which crosses the line and could be seen as defamatory is also going to be removed - regardless of who the subject is.

Pheebz likes this.
  14. Paul@PAS

Yeah ghost members appear with few posts and they often have a single topic after they do get posting permissions...They either slag someone else or pump up something the isnt governed by forum rules eg Self promotion of a business without being a business member or opportunity etc

That said there are also members with knowledge of such events who may add some unbiased information and knowledge. Information in the public domain may be factual yet either completely or partly correct. Defamation concerns itself with act that are intended to cause reputaational harm to some one with good charecter and repute. Starting with alleged bad charecter and repute doesnt usually afford any legal protection from defamation. Its why a guy like Roger Rogerson didnt sue media. In the end he re-confirmed his charecter all on his own.

There is a good thread here on this. Its about a grubby promotor of education and schemes peddled to property buyers who has become focus of legal and ACCC regulators. Led by a female face of a family who are all common links to some entities involved. One of the schemes concerns a magical trust (hence it very costly) that is promoted as a magical unicorn asset protection strategy. Legal practitioners mock it as a work of fiction. Why is it exclusive ? Beacause its fairy tales. The courts and regulators arent sold of the alleged claims etc Posts on this have come from legal practitioners and others and while they appear to look like reputational damage the persons involved seem to have that track record on their own.
    Legal Tip 319: What is a ‘Vestey’ Trust?
    and even recently in related but unrealted actions
    Grubisa doubles down (again) after ACCC hearing

The other one in media at present is that of Higgins and Lehrmann and CBS-TEN. The "defamation" elements which were meant to have been ruled on this week are progressing into the sewer for one of the parties involved.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia