How to value a house?????

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by HomeMinister, 18th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. HomeMinister

HomeMinister Well-Known Member

hi all

would like to get some of you thoughts on how i go about valuing a property.

my approach has been simple and old school. i just get the recent land sales

and relate the cost with -10% due to demolition cost involved if at all i dream of

knockdown strategy. for the house i value current build cost and depreciate 3% for

every year it pumped blood out. for instance if recent land sales were 400K i go for

land at 360 to 380k depending on other goodies like corner block and landscaped backyard.

for house if current cost id 200k and it is 10 yrs old i go with 140k to 160k for house

depending on goodies like luxury inclusions.

what do you recommend? any complex equations are welcome with comments to make it

easy to understand.

thanks in advance

Last edited: 18th Apr, 2016
  2. Johann_

Johann_ Well-Known Member

Hi, The best way to value a home these days is to simply look at realestae.com. There is so much data out there to help out :).

But always keep in mind what a house is worth and what some one will pay for it are two different things.

MTR likes this.
  3. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

I don't think that formula works for the areas I follow

What do you do for a 100 year old house on a inner city block with no land?

4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Exactly, the market will dictate the value.

Some people may over capitalise for an area, does not mean someone will pay for this.

So many variables - land size, development potential could increase the land/zoning

Can also compare recent sales this is what a valuer will do (3 months previous sales).

When establishing value of a property I always look at recent sales for similar product, location, size of land, development potential, condition of the property.

Last edited: 18th Apr, 2016
  5. 158

158 Well-Known Member

A no reserve auction is the only true indicator of a value at any one point in time.

Second best option is a valuer with extensive market comparables and external influential indicators.

A real estate agent valuation is a DISTANT 3rd.

pinkboy

6. HomeMinister

HomeMinister Well-Known Member

Totally agree the age point :30 yrs or so value of house is probably negligible compared to

the land or is been renovated to take into count.

Auctions are probably good indicators but so is rental yield. however auctions are not all over

and some just wait for the right buyer to show up. i guess there is no perfect way to pin but yes

there is plenty online these days.

7. MarkB

MarkB Well-Known Member

There's been a couple reported in the AU press recently.

Chelmer house set to go to auction without reserve

Brisbane Vendor to Auction Brand New Apartment With No Reserve

And it seems they can work.

But that is of little consolation to this owner.
    (though that example seems to speak more about the benefits of a good REA who can get people to turn up with their chequebooks, than it does about NR auctions).

But if NR auctions were reasonably common, then they'd be less successful imo.

8. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Almost always via comparable sales of similar properties in the area within the last 3-6 months. Then you make allowances for the subject property being superior of inferior to those comps.

Your complex formula is more like the summation method which gets used rarely if no comps can be found, but generally no use in working out what a property will sell for.

MTR likes this.
  9. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

What the second highest bidder was prepared to pay for it, not the highest bid. ;)

Bran likes this.
  10. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

A valuer will only use settled sales so it will be more 3+ months.

MTR likes this.
  11. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

You can't possibly make money in those areas ;)

Bran likes this.
  12. Johann_

Johann_ Well-Known Member

A friend of mine bought a home on a large parcel of land three years ago... market would of suggested he paid to much... now his laughing lol

MTR likes this.
  13. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

I have rarely heard a developer say of another developer they got that at a good deal always saying they overpaid for it but lo and behold PEET, Stockland, Villawood, Saterly etc are still around must be doing something right.

14. Simon Moore

Simon Moore Residential & Commercial Mortgage Broker Business Member

Level 2 287 Collins St Melbourne VIC 3000
    If you want to get some easy comparable sales you can always get your broker to get you a desktop valuation (assuming your property qualifies). Only takes us 30 seconds to get one done and email it to you.

15. Michael_X

Michael_X Mortgage Broker Business Member

Try the sold section on realestate.com.au. Look for properties that are similar, and compare the prices. The more similar you can get it aka land size, build, condition etc the more accurate your estimate.

Cheers,
    Michael