How to structure my Estate.

Discussion in 'Wills & Estate Planning' started by onemediumcrabbisk, 25th May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. onemediumcrabbisk

onemediumcrabbisk Member

Good Evening,

Little Back Story.

We have a PPOR and 3 investment properties, all CF+ .
    My family consists of myself and 3 sons. the two eldest (32/33),whom have wonderful spouses, are very astute and fiscally responsible. The youngest(30) and his spouse, are not so fiscally responsible.

Despite our best efforts to help them understand fiscally responsibility, they continue to live week to week. Everyone in the family is worried that their Sibling (my youngest) may be taken advantage of, by his new spouse, because of their lifestyle.

We have spoken to a few lawyers in regards to this. Because I am truly concerned.

Options offered were; Bloodline trust or testamentary trust for future children when they turn a certain age or so assets stay within the family. Or multiple trusts for different children, but similarly Bloodline trusts.

I have thought of also considering making two eldest executors, with provisions that they provide some financial assistance to their youngest(when/if) they learn to be more responsible. I do not want to disadvantage the youngest, i just think this maybe something he learns a bit later than the others.

I know some people never learn, but my goal is for everyone to amicable and together.

Are there any other suggestions for possible ways to do this?

Best Regards

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Not much else you can do.

Either
    a) direct gift, or
    b) gift to trustee to drip feed them.

You could appoint an independant trustee which could be a professional company or an uncle etc who is not a beneficiary.

The trusts can be set up in many ways to prevent them from accessing capital and blowing it too quickly
    i) restrict access until a certain age
    ii) restrict access to capital altogether but allow them the income. This is a life interet
    iii) by pass the kids and leave to the grandkids

Keep in mind that they can challenge the will under Family Provision legislation, even if you do leave it to a trust of which they are the main beneficiaries.

Don't forget to consider your super and life insurances too.

Ross Forrester likes this.
  3. Ross Forrester

Ross Forrester Well-Known Member

What terry said - and you could be sneaky and make a contribution to the youngest child's super fund.

Locks it away until they are old.

Still - matrimonial law can access and they can invest poorly - but it is a possibility.

Think about a family charter as well. The process of drafting these can bring people into the family.

Getting your youngest son on charge of a private ancillary fund is also a good way to educate kids financially who refuse to become engaged.

4. Bonz

Bonz Well-Known Member

If at 30 your son is happy leading the life he is, why would you worry about his perceived lack of fiscal responsibility? Sounds like your pending benevolence is predicated on him leading the life you want him to lead.

thesuperman and Ben_j like this.
  5. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

The option one is not easy ...hard to decide who gets what
    Even split based on market value or on income or ???

6. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Not distributing an estate to children equally will lead to bitterness and resentment from the one who has not been treated equally and the breakup of the relationships with his siblings which will bring sorrow to the family for many years. Do you really want to leave such a legacy?

Marg4000 likes this.
  7. Terry_w

8. Ross Forrester

Ross Forrester Well-Known Member

There are many reasons to differentiate between children. If you do, you needto have a difficult and open discussion among the family.

That could include a facilitator who understands family.

For example:

If one son works on the farm all his life for zero pay and the other becomes a doctor and earns a fortune - is it fair for the parents to split the estate equally on death?

What if one child has had significant support all their life and the other has not - is it fair to split the estate equally.

Some religions mandate that the estate is divided differently according to sex of the child (not my religion but you have to respect another family has different beliefs).

Sometimes the allocation is unequal to achieve a better financial outcome after considering all government imposts.

Every family system is different and complex. You cannot apply a one size fits all.

We have helped five generation businesses and this is the most complex area we advise on.

9. Terry_w

I like that TV ad for the shapes snacks. The son is holding 2 boxes and askes his dad if he has a favourite. The dad is not looking and is distracted and says "yes your sister"

Ben_j likes this.
  10. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Totally agree.

We know of several families where the siblings no longer speak to each other due to unequal treatment under a parent's will. I am sure the person had their reasons, but the fallout has been very sad.
    Marg

Last edited: 26th May, 2017
  11. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Will could have a testamentary provision for youngest and trustees are the elder two kids but that doesnt always work. While it may safeguard asset waste it may be seen by the younger as a way to control him after death. ie two elder siblings get estate 1/3rd each estate and other 1/3 on testamentary trust for sibling.

However in the period between now and then I can almost expect to see Murphys law of estate planning operate. It says that one or both of the other siblings will divorce after the inheritance of course and the younger wont. Your planning can be for nothing.

12. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

No matter all the planning my parents did, it all turned to custard. Our sibling was trouble all his life, so there was no loss of any relationship. We lost a lot of money to him rather than lose it to lawyers by fighting his disgusting demands (not to mention the damage to our health and well being by dragging it on). He is a complete empty vessel, a complete nothing, and money won't help him be more than a nothing. I prefer not to even think about him or what we handed him. I've moved on. I prefer to think of the upside which is that rather than us ensure he is clothed and housed, and deal with his incessant demands, we get to never see him again. Win/win.

However, my thought turns though to what happens if you pass away before your husband and he decides to marry someone with children or an eye for a sugar daddy?

Scott No Mates, Foxdan and Perthguy like this.
  13. Terry_w

The new spouse will take assets at the expense of your children.

14. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

How does one structure things to ensure your own children don't miss out if the surviving spouse re-partners?

15. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

I think Terry has a Tip in this regard, not 100% sure though.

16. Terry_w

Testamentary trust for the children. Can exclude the new spouse from being a trustee or beneficiary. Maybe even exclude you spouse.

Or leave to your kids directly.

If own property as join tenants consider severing to tenants in common now

Piston_Broke likes this.
  17. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

A deed of mutual wills could prevent that

18. Terry_w

A mutual will is a contract not to change a will. But what happens if properties are acquired and/or sold, new marriages entered into - a marriage generally voids an existing will and family provision.

Paul@PAS likes this.
  19. thesuperman

thesuperman Well-Known Member

To avoid bitterness leave all the kids nothing so they get "distributed" equally and have no bitterness/resentment to each other and leave all the money to your favourite charity. All the kid stay in a happy relationship to each other that way :D

20. Bonz

Bonz Well-Known Member

I do not understand why kids get bitter between each other if their folks leave them different amounts in the wills. It's not an issue between siblings, it's an issue a sibling has with a deceased parent.