NSW How to stop higher floor neighbours throwing rubbish into my ground floor courtyard?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Astraclassic, 3rd Jun, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Astraclassic

Astraclassic Member

I have a ground floor unit in a 30+ storey high-rise apartment in Sydney CBD. My unit has a courtyard which is accessed via my living area.

For the past 3 years, I have been facing the constant problem of people littering onto my courtyard. Residents of higher apartments throw waste (cans, takeaway boxes, bottles, bag of poo, cigarettes butts) out of their windows and end up in my outdoor area.

I raised it with the strata manager and the camera has been installed pointing up. But it’s been very difficult to identify which floor as it usually happens at night. The strata also tried sending letters to the apartments directly above mine. They also tried posting notice in the foyer. The frequency of issues has been unchanged.

Two months ago someone committed suicide and jumped from 32nd floor and landed in my neighbor's courtyard which is right next to mine. My poor neighbor had to move out as the police seized her apartment as the crime scene

I think the best way is to have some sort of safety net and awning installed above our courtyard. I have raised this request at the strata meeting but it’s been denied (probably due to the cost).

What else can I do to force the strata/ bodycorp to take action to stop the dumping?

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Not much unfortunately.... AFAIK it's a "feature" of courtyard apartments.... glass is the obviously the most dangerous, and these can be genuinely accidental.

With the awning, did you propose to pay for it?

The Y-man

3. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

It’s probably a sign to leave once it escalates to human bodies landing in your courtyard.

freyja, Scott No Mates and MTR like this.
  4. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Maybe that fella who fell was picked off by a sniper just as he was going to throw a bubble gum wrapper.

JacM and Phoenix Pete like this.
  5. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I guess that happens on the ground floor of a 30+ storey CBD building. I had a ground floor courtyard of a suburban block with 8 levels above me and I’d often get laundry, cigarette butts and other rubbish falling in.
    The idea of a person falling and dying into your courtyard is pretty horrid though….

6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Time to sell up

bunkai and balwoges like this.
  7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Or get a unit on the 30th floor with a courtyard.

8. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I think that person was probably pushed by someone who has a courtyard and is sick of the mess !

9. Renfield

Renfield New Member

Maybe try to negotiate regular cleaning of the area with the body corporate? At least then you won’t have to worry about the mess. For large apartment blocks there should already be contracted cleaners for common areas. It’s probably not a huge stretch for the body corporate to extend that to a courtyard. Only downside I can see is allowing them access.

Mel Morgan likes this.
  10. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Just saw this. So classy. Screenshot_20220621-152321_Facebook.jpg

Tom Rivera likes this.