How to sell a home while it is being rented.

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Xenia, 17th Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Jennifer Duke likes this.
  2. Mick Butterfield

Mick Butterfield Well-Known Member

I always find it easier to sell a house with a good tenant compared to an empty property. Good article.

Xenia and Perthguy like this.
  3. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Me too
    Except when they are very messy.

4. JDM

JDM Well-Known Member

Selling a house with a good tenant is fine...it's the not so good tenants that are the issue. I remember I once had an inspection and had given the appropriate notice, the tenant decided it didn't mater and that I wasn't allowed in. The next inspection at the same property they set an alarm they had no permission to install and hadn't provided us with the security code. Safe to say that was not an easy sale. Another time I had a tenant's son smoking pot downstairs and dog crap in the house. Oh how I don't miss that side of sales.

Xenia likes this.
  5. GoOnAndTell

GoOnAndTell Well-Known Member

We have been on this a few different ways
    * sold a place that was more about land value + permit for one on the back, we offered a weeks rent off memory and it all went well.
    * sold a place that was tenanted, they were rubbish tenants, **** furniture and had never cleaned it, we scrubbed the crap out of it, patched the garden, repainted 2 rooms, and then got furniture in. We where aiming for more of a first home buyer/ppor people.
    * lived in a place that got sold, it wasn't the nicest place but we made sure we were up, beds made, lawns done, curtains open, etc... we got a weeks rent.
    * inspected a million places with angry tenants, tenants asleep, bongs on coffee tables, etc... generally presenting a place as poorly as possible.
    * purchased my mums place as it took us 2 opens to get in as the tenant kept not letting the opens go through, the sale campaign was ****, the tenant was a pain in the arse, but the place was actually nice. By the time auction rolled around we were one of the few who had seen it, had a chance to do a decent inspection, received a contact of sale early enough, the only serious bidders on the day.

6. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

My tenants are being nightmares. Blocking any attempt to have anyone through it at all. I've cut rent, they are still being obstructive.