How to overcome Fear

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by MTR, 16th Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Keep them coming, I love it.

This thread has gone from serious to very funny, love it

Xenia likes this.
  2. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

This is the best one so far.
    That's it, competition on, bring it on... LOL

3. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Back to the original acronym of FEAR
    [​IMG]

EN710 and MTR like this.
  4. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

Eat garlic

MTR likes this.
  5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

That very scary stuff:)

6. Kate Moloney

Kate Moloney Well-Known Member

fear to the human body can equal death because back in the caveman days, fear would tell you if an animal was going to eat you etc.

The best way to over come fear is to sit with the sensation for 30-60seconds. Its uncomfortable, but feeling is healing.

orangestreet, Xenia and BigKahuna like this.
  7. Charlotte30

Charlotte30 Well-Known Member

Dealing with fear - two experiences
    For me the usual way to deal with fear is to face it head on with a plan and a purpose. If I have a plan I can work my through it to the end. This is usually a mental game with myself.

Very recently I had another experience with fear when I had an overflowing gutter on a rental that needed clearing on the 3rd level of the building. I was up a ladder two stories and had to climb on a roof up another storey to the next level. I have done this before. All of a sudden I thought, I can't do this, I am scared and I am here on my own, I don't need to do this. So when I got down I called the builder, problem sorted. Big difference between physical fear and mental fear.
    Cheers
    Charlotte30

Hanison, inertia, BigKahuna and 3 others like this.
  8. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

I wouldn't even have got that far. Very brave :)

Kate Moloney and BigKahuna like this.
  9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

10. Jkat

Jkat Well-Known Member

On the serious note: brain development has a lot to do with how you perceive and experience fear. If there has been trauma in your life (particularly in the early development years) your brain will develop differently and you will be hyper-aroused/sensitive to your environment. Essentially, this is to help protect you from other dangers but can prove problematic if the dangerous/traumatic event passes (i.e. a child exposed to domestic violence will have this hyperaroused brain development, then the child is in a safe environment without domestic violence - brain is still hyperaroused).

This means there is difficulty with logical/rational thought because you are always in the fight/flight survival reflex.

On the light side, I am loving all these memes and cartoons!!

BigKahuna likes this.
  11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I am currently fearing the mountain of paper work I have from my US accountant that I need to sift through and sign off

This is how I dealt with it, left it in a corner, I know its there and it wont go away, and pretend I am going to sort it out tomorrow, mention it everyday because it makes me feel better knowing I have not forgotten but the fear does not go away, that was 2 weeks ago.... Why did I not just deal with it on DAY 1 and then fear would no longer exist....:eek:

Finally today was the day I sorted it out

freyja, Kate Moloney and BigKahuna like this.
  12. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Maybe people worry too much these days,but all you have to do is understand what fear is,a truck going sideways with the smoking brakes on just about to rear end you at a stop sign may bring it on,or don't take a back seat to anyone in life..

MTR likes this.
  13. BigKahuna

BigKahuna Well-Known Member

Jkat, you are spot on. Depending on how your brain is wired--either through nature or nurture--will determine how much fear you feel. I agree with Kate that it's good to sit with an emotion in meditation. However if the emotion is overwhelming, best to divert your attention. Intense fear that freezes you is freakin terrible.

Beanie Girl, MTR, Xenia and 1 other person like this.
  14. Kate Moloney

If you ignore what triggers you then you are not breaking through it. There is evolution (and a bloody nice life) on the other side of an over whelming fear.

FEAR = face everything and rise

Gockie, MTR and Xenia like this.
  15. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

I love this Kate

Kate Moloney and MTR like this.
  16. BigKahuna

Or end up in a psych ward. They are full of people who have had too much thrown at them by life. Fear is what ptsd and c-ptsd is about. It's what disassociative disorders are about--the experience is too much to bear and people split off. It's not so simple as 'breaking through' for people who have been assaulted, raped and whose very existence has been threatened. Breaking through ' is great for tackling the mountain of paperwork though.

Xenia, freyja, MTR and 1 other person like this.
  17. Kate Moloney

I disagree with that, you can get over "stuff". Its a matter of choice and getting empowered and responsible for yourself and your life. Every experience no matter what always serves you. Nothing has meaning except the meaning you give it.

John Demartini does some great work with people who have been assaulted, raped, lost a loved one etc. There are also many other great empowering teachers out there helping people to get over their "stuff". I don't believe that we have to stay wounded forever from life experiences ...

The reason people split off is because they see only one side (i.e. negatives, pain and suffering) ... and are not looking for the benefits and positives. Societies ideas for getting over pain are generally disempowering. I know a lot of people who are on anti depressants, pills to sleep at night etc.... no judgement to them (their life, their choice), although I do question why we are seeking an external solution for an internal problem (mindset). We will never resolve our problems by covering them up and running away from them.

When I dove deep into this work, I came to realise that every single action on this planet is an act of love. Everything has a hidden order to it and when you step back and see the bigger picture you see how everything "good" or "bad" serves the world.

Its a big statement to make, but its true. I was in a very dark place over our losses. What got me through was a daily practice of self enquiry, self discovery and self healing. Now... I am grateful that I got handed that **** sandwich, because if I didn't eat it, I would have been the most cocky, arrogant SOB, only caring about money ... far away from my true self ...unfulfilled and unhappy.... hanging out with people that didn't have my best interests at heart.

Sometimes we need life to give us a kick up the pants to put us on a path thats in line with our true self. When you are true to you, life gets very groovy.

Hanison, Xenia and Touristy like this.
  18. BigKahuna

Kate, all power to you if it works for you. I think u can't judge someone until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Dissociation doesn't happen because you only think of the negative. I certainly think meditation is extremely helpful though.

Ambit, Xenia, freyja and 1 other person like this.
  19. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

FEAR can be a motivator

[​IMG]

Azazel, WattleIdo and MTR like this.
  20. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Oh dear.
    Looks like it's still gonna land on him in the water.