How to make fake news

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Angel, 27th Sep, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

2. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

And it be done through abysmal reporting about this supposed extreme weather event.

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/na...-off-cliff-by-dust-devil-20190103-p50pi9.html

It's ******** and I haven't even bothered to read the article. The headline implies an extreme weather event on launch caused the paraglider to land 180km away. I'll bet the parasail was caught by a thermal on launch which threw threw the pilot around a bit and who then completed the assigned competition task.

Extreme is the two paragliders caught up in a thunderstorm a few years ago near Parkes I think. Both drawn up into the storm, one killed by lightening and the other spent quite a while unconscious in the death zone (10,000m) but actually was lucky enough to survive with minor frostbite. Now that's extreme.

3. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

There is extreme reporting only by the word "tornado" in the second paragraph IMO.

The video shows an actual column of dust, so it's more than a thermal.

The word "extreme" has only been used in the classification of the article as "extreme weather", not as an extreme event.

The parasail was caught by the dust devil- it looks quite scary- but he did, as you say, then complete his flight.

4. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

Tornado, FFS ! more like a little willy willy

Ewa Wisnierska
    Paraglider survived in storm at 32,000 ft
    increadibly lucky to survive

edit:
    Willy Willy
    From Yindjibarndi (an Aboriginal language of western Australia) or Wemba-wemba (an Aboriginal language of SE Australia).

Last edited: 4th Jan, 2019
  5. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was taught when I was involved in gliding to use a dust devil to mark the thermal. Quite odd to be sweating under the perspex at ground then be freezing at cloud base.

6. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

bmc likes this.
  7. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member