Had the 2 chimneys cleaned by a chimney sweep on the weekend. Lots of soot and stuff but only so much that can be removed. The main fireplace still smells terrible! Fortunately, it has been closed off at ceiling height and roofed over. I've tried a salt and detergent paste on the bricks but I can only go so high and so far it doesn't seem to have done much. Other suggestions I've seen on youtube are tartare and water paste, vinegar and ammonia. Haven't tried these yet. But would it be best to seal and use that new cigarette smoke paint on the bricks? If that doesn't work I'd have to get it bricked up. I'd like to put a little heater in there but the smell is very bad atm.