How to know if has separate water meter?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by ATANG, 26th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. ATANG

ATANG Well-Known Member

I get water bills every quarter and there's water service charges and sewerage charge. It's a one bedroom apartment in the city. Does that mean it's got its own separate meter and I could ask tenant to pay?

2. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Maybe just ask your Accountant about who pays for what and when,with the water metre next time you drive by if you can just walkin and find the service area ,even old fibro 2 level flats have separate metres set up if not it can be a very costly to change from one for the entire complex,into standalone separate set-up,big $$$$$..

3. ATANG

ATANG Well-Known Member

Hm... I think it should have own meter right? Otherwise how the city west work out the usage fee... I think I;d just direct it to my tenant. :)

4. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Depends on the age of the building and the water authority. Usually unit blocks have one main meter and each unit pays their share.
    Newer build are starting to have individual meters so that it's fair.
    As for the bill let the pm take care of it! they should pay what they use, you pay the connections rates

5. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

How many apartments vs how much your individual charges (personal usage) are may give an idea?

6. drg86

drg86 Well-Known Member

Does the bill actually state "water usage charges" and an amount?

There will be a number of categories to make up the total. Many apartments pay only the service charge and sewerage charge, not the actual usage charge as that is paid by your body corp.

7. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

If it is a shared meter on the bill it should say, Your percentage of main meter water use is x%, your proportion of water use is $x.

8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I once had a unit where we got hot water bills as this was a common hws with individual meters inside the unit. Cold water was common area billing.

9. Lil Skater

Lil Skater Well-Known Member

Check the bill or depending on the water authority, you might be able to find out on their website.

I can't remember if it's South East or City West, but basically you go to the moving section, tick estate agent, enter the property details and bam it'll tell you whether it's separately metered or not (okay, it will let you continue if it is and will come up with an error if it's not).

If you tick owner it won't tell you, and if you tick tenant it will say it's the agents responsibility to connect.