How to invest $200k in property

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by peace, 29th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. peace

peace Member

Hahaha JDP1. I have been reading a number of Brisbane threads and have seen a number of your posts. :)

I assume when you mean slightly negative gear, the costs incurred on the IP should only exceed the income by a small margin.

Also, to clarify, I assume you mean an IP that is likely to achieve capital growth might be more preferable as opposed to one with a higher yield but possibly lower capital growth?

2. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

My posts add value to this forum in ways that cannot be measured. :)

Yes. Your salary makes it a bit tough to go too negative. I would not suggest too negatively geared, despite your excellent savings rate.

Yes, thats exactly what i mean.
    The question i would ask if I were you is where is the growth gonna come from?
    You said it wont likely be from your salary, ok then from where? shares? other investments etc?
    If none of the above, then id look for property to deliver that growth...hence the focus more on growth, balanced by what you can afford.

Sackie likes this.
  3. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Well-Known Member

Don't do anything. Leave the money in the bank for the next three months and spend that time learning. Read books on property investment and ask questions and check in here daily. After three months you will know heaps and with that $200k as a starting point you will do very well.

On your income a cash flow strategy is the way to go, but stay away from units: I'd buy houses with a land component in other major cities and regional areas outside of Melbourne and Sydney, town houses with courtyards can also work. If you must buy in Melbourne I would look at the Western suburbs atm.

4. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

Definitely worth chatting to a broker who will be able to map out what's possible based on your circumstances and integrate that with your investment goals (and probably help you get clearer on those too!).

I get the feeling you'd get the best bang for your buck doing 88% lends on IPs in the $300-$350k range, all returning 6% or more.

Your income and monthly rent expense will be the big limiting factors, so the higher your rent returns on each property, the better.

88% lends will allow you to expand your portfolio further and retain a larger buffer. :)

jefn89, peace and mcarthur like this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia