How to hold cash for a few years

Discussion in 'Financial Planning' started by Angel, 7th Feb, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

We suddenly have more cash than I know what to do with. I was going to put it into Super, but now thinking that buying a block of regional land might get better growth in the next 3-5 years. I am concerned about Super dropping in value and the potential for banks/super funds/gov to take it before we get to use it. What do you think?

2. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

Depends on what your super invests in I guess and when you need the cash

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I've had a small chunk of cash from an inheritance sitting in an e-saver (earning a pittance) since mid November.

We'd planned to drop it into super, having used most of it to finish our townhouse build. But I didn't do that while our balance was falling and I sat it in an e-saver.

This weekend I got off the fence and moved it into super (defensive area) after it started to rise again last week.

We even considered reducing our loans with the money, but the lure of the tax advantages of super won over the warm and fuzzy feeling of reducing some debt.

If we need cash, we draw it out and it hits our account within two days. If the market drops we can move to cash within two days, or draw it out in the same timeframe.

Until we knew we would need it to finish the build, we'd always had it sitting in "aggressive" and never blinked when the market rose or fell, but once I knew we needed to keep it safe, I moved much of it to cash.

We missed some growth for sure, but had things gone bad, we would have been in a very bad situation, unable to pay the builder.

Sackie likes this.
  4. tk421

tk421 Well-Known Member

Government bonds indexed to inflation?

5. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Do you have any loans where the offsets aren’t fully chocked?

If not, I would suggest Super as one can control the risk.

For me, regional land is risky, no income unknown/unpredictable growth, no tax advantages and one can’t control the risk.

Sackie and Beano like this.
  6. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Waterproof military grade bumbag? :D

The Y-man

datto likes this.
  7. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

That's what a rellie said a few months back and I can't get that idea out of my head.

The Y-man likes this.
  8. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

David_SYD likes this.
  9. Zyzz

Zyzz Well-Known Member

I would just buy CBA shares and sit on them. Easy peasy. Note this is not financial advice.

10. standtall

standtall Well-Known Member

Transactions costs would wipe out any growth in regional land if invested for 3-5 years plus regional land could get extremely hard to sell in a soft market.

Easiest thing to do would be to put your money into an index fund like VDHG. It’s an index fund with diversified investments so any downside is fairly low.

Another option would be to buy equal amounts of shares in Big 4 + Macquarie bank and keep reinvesting dividends.

11. noomi_nooma

noomi_nooma Well-Known Member

I’m sorry but how can anyone advocate holding shares for 3-5 years as a safe option????

Anne11 likes this.
  12. kierank

I am thinking of Gladstone, for example.

13. kierank

What would you suggest:- cash?? property???

14. standtall

standtall Well-Known Member

ETFs are very different to just ‘shares’, funds like VDHG have very low downside due to built in diversification. Most people who retire early leave every single penny they own in the ETFs.

15. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

I have rarely run into anyone that have invested long-term into the banks for above 25 years that complain once you add compounding and never sell if they go down 75% as you just buy more ..
    Every 3-5 years in equities markets the dominoes fall and some property and financial entertainment gurus are saying as people become un-linked from social media a few companies linked may be in for a hard time..

16. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

When you look at the below one percent that's paid for money sitting in the bank ,you might as well with something like CBA just buy the shares in the company --Even with the dips in the market as they are never very large over a 25 year span..

Swing trading - Wikipedia

17. kierank

Total returns of 9% pa for the last 5 years is bloody awful (… and one has to add back in dividend imputation to even increase the after tax return) :eek:.

Last 2 years is even worse at 10.4% (without adding back dividend imputation) :p.

I bought CBA 11 years ago - total returns of 10.5% pa (without adding back dividend imputation). What a shocker!!!

I could never convince my MIL to take some of her money out of the bank and buy shares in that bank. Too risky she said :rolleyes:.

willair, Sackie and apk like this.
  18. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Buying into market highs is a capital risk as a share market correction hasnt been evident for some time. During the GFC markets fell 30% approx. The MIL has a reasonable concern if she seeks capital preservation.

A insurance bond could be a option. Its also tax paid. No CGT, no income tax. Doesnt pay any income. BUT a long term requirement to hold it.

19. kierank

We had a correction last month and a bigger correction in February/March 2020.

Have you forgotten about these? :rolleyes:

20. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Paul is discussing "correction" risk.