How to get tenant to tidy for home open ? Unit looks a mess!

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Alex P Keaton, 9th Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Alex P Keaton

Alex P Keaton Well-Known Member

thanks for all your help guys! :) I'll let you all know how it goes

2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I find these types of people extremely frustrating to stand. In my head I actually have very violent thoughts when I come across such people....and I'm not a violent person at all.

3. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Fixed that for you ;) (always remember to include the ladies)
    Its always great to have feed back :cool:

Joynz and Alex P Keaton like this.
  4. Alex P Keaton

haha, ok.... I usually say the word guys for both genders. I call my female friends guys :p :)

Yeah its great to brainstorm some ideas, and get feedback. It helped with my stress levels (coming on here), getting some help. I really appreciate it, thanks everyone! I think i'll become a regular again here :) pass on my help to others too where I can as I've a bit of experience over the past 10 years. Made some mistakes lol :D did good too. I used to visit on somersoft for a few years.

craigc and Stoffo like this.
  5. fols

fols Well-Known Member

I don’t think I would ever sell a property with a tenant in it, nor would I sell without staging. Sorry probably not that useful advice to the OP- unless sale can be delayed?

6. 3k_Alan

3k_Alan Well-Known Member

I agree with Simon, they have every right to be messy it's their house that they are renting.

You need to incentivize the tenant, say if you help tidy up and also put a good word in about the property and the location and it managers to be sold then I will give you XYZ.

Alex P Keaton, Simon Moore and Jacque like this.
  7. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Frustrating and I feel your pain- been there done that with a few tenants now :rolleyes: Incentives can work but another strategy is to ensure your agent is educating buyers (giving them the spiel about the tenancy situation) BEFORE they inspect the property. Prospective buyers can then be more empathetic to your situation and be ready for mess prior to entering the place. Even saying something akin to "Look, the owner is fastidious and has kept the property well maintained but the tenant is a bit untidy so please just be aware and imagine the place de-cluttered as you look through...." Prospective buyers understand and especially when there's an unhappy tenant who is looking at having to probably move out if an owner buys. Best of luck with it all :)

Perthguy and Alex P Keaton like this.
  8. Alex P Keaton

Great news. My tenant made it nice and tidy for the home open. So all will be ok.

9. Alex P Keaton

Thanks for your thoughts.

Jacque likes this.
  10. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

IIRC you've tried to sell this place before. Are you going to be realistic this time?

11. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

being messy is ok but look at this -- another helping of biryani anyone?

before (1 year ago)
    upload_2018-1-16_13-50-9.png

after (normally in reno pics in looks different lol)
    upload_2018-1-16_13-49-43.png

12. Kat

Kat Well-Known Member

I really don't understand how anyone could live in such a mess...

jim1964 likes this.
  13. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We had a tenant leave once and I slid open the grill tray on an upright stove like that, less than one year old. I lifted off the long cold cooked chop he'd forgotten to eat, then lifted the flat part of the grill tray and the whole depth of the grill tray was full of fat.

He'd been grilling chops and goodness knows what else and never cleaned the drip tray. It was ready to overflow. :eek:

14. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Eeww.

I stayed in an airbnb in Adelaide and there were a couple of things that I thought could be better. The three basic main things:
    1. Overflowing bin
    2. Cluttered bathroom - too many bottles
    3. Kitchen stove as per pic. I didn't use the stove, but as it was a fairly small apartment, the living room faced the kitchen so you couldn't help but see it even from the living space.

They also had a few other issues which werent ideal but these factors are ones they should have had under control.

15. Michael_Gilbert

Michael_Gilbert Member

Wow that stove is horrible!

@Alex P Keaton you are lucky your tenant wasn't this messy.

Alex P Keaton and Jacque like this.
  16. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

there are rails for these lol - but who am I to say how one lives as long as rent is paid (eyes close)

upload_2018-1-17_15-55-16.png

17. Michael_Gilbert

Michael_Gilbert Member

Now that's creative. I don't even want to think about how the rest of the place looks.

melbournian likes this.
  18. Graeme

Graeme Well-Known Member

Just before I moved out to Australia, I was renting an apartment in London.

I was in the middle of packing everything to ship over here, and had gone out for a couple of hours to do something. The place was a mess, with boxes and papers scattered all over the floor.

At which point the lettings agent gave me a call: "I know we're meant to give you 24 hours to do an inspection, but can we do one this morning?"

I pointed out that it wasn't a good time, but they insisted. I relented, and felt really bad that I might be costing the owner a tenant.

Surprisingly, the couple who viewed the property liked it despite the mess (it was a great place), and signed up for a two year tenancy.

19. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

This is clean compared to my mates bathroom. I went over to his place to build a 6 foot fence on his 45 degree angled backyard. I felt cleaner not having a shower for 2 days, than stepping in his bathroom. Glad I took my own sleeping bag and pillow too :eek:

Michael_Gilbert likes this.
  20. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't all the burnt stuff on the foil lining they have put around the burners?

The Y-man