How to get rid o

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Ali, 23rd Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ali

Ali Member

Guys & Girls; I need your help again. 3 months ago I rented a unit in Melbourne for my self and my gf. It's on the 2nd floor. During inspection, property was in fairly good condition. The day I moved in the property, there were insects crawling in the kitchen and washroom. I sprayed the usual insect killer spray on the floor. Couple of days later, insects came again. I again sprayed thoroughly in the kitchen. But to no avail. Insects came back again and again after spraying many times. And their quantity is increasing day by day. It's almost 3 months now.

When I moved in the property, I reported this issue to property manager and told her that if sprayed won't help, I have to request her for proper insect cleaning.

I am not sure it's the termite or it's some other insects. I tried to insert photo of insect but couldn't figure out how to insert.

From the looks of kitchen, it seems that before I moved in, there was new wood work inside kitchen. Does this insects have to do something with woodwork in the kitchen?

How I can get rid of these insects? Do I need to arrange professional insect cleaner? Or I need to inform property manager to take care of this issue? Or simply I need to change brand of insect killer spray?

The last thing I want to listen are screams of my gf when she spots one of these in the kitchen or in living room.

2. Ali

Ali Member

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

That's a bog standard Aussie roach.

4. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

Cockroach. The stuff you buy from the supermarket isn't going to do much. You need a pest guy to do a proper job. It's going to be a couple of hundred dollars.

5. Ali

Ali Member

Do you think, I can ask property manager to arrange for pest guy or I as a tenant have to spend money. Just to keep in mind, on my 1st day as tenant I noticed these insects and told property manager that I may request her to arrange for professional insect services

6. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Native Australian animal - protected species.

jim1964 likes this.
  7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Push the property manager as the cockroaches were present day 1 and advised of same.

The Y-man likes this.
  8. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

Just get a priest.

Toon, Colin Rice and Foxdan like this.
  9. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

I learned to live with these in the north, disgusting but hard to get rid of. I can squash the tiny ones but not those big ones yuk. I didn't know they lived in Melbourne?!!

10. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

They are like plucking gray hairs. Every one you kill replicates fourfold.

Toon, Magnet and ellejay like this.
  11. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

You can drop an atomic bomb in your unit and I'll guarantee you a few will still see the light of day. Definitely need the prossionals to do the job right.

12. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

That's a wombat, you need wombat spray from the pet store.

JacM likes this.
  13. Guest

Guest Guest

Worth trying it on (getting landlord to pay). Anything in the lease agreement?

How did you raise the issue on the first day (email/phone)?

Pests and infestations in a rented home - Consumer Affairs Victoria

14. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

Our landlord at the time used to do the annual professional pest treatment as standard but in between we tried basic Bunnings stuff to keep the numbers down. Seemed fair enough, being realistic. They seem pretty much indestructible.

15. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

Hi @Ali

As the others have indicated, this is a roach. These things could survive a nuclear issue.

Send written comms and pics to the PM explicitly requesting a pest exterminator to attend. However do realize that even after they attend, a few of the little blighters will survive. It's annoying, but to some degree, respect to the species for being so darn adaptable to be able to survive just about anything. Insects will be the end of us if they so desire. No worries at all. It wouldn't even be hard for them. It's just part of life on Earth.

16. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

The bad news is that if you have then in winter, Your flat will be Cockroach Heaven in Summer. The best you can do is to keep everything fastidiously clean, floors , kitchen and bathroom.
    Cockroaches love water heaters, so consider 'bombing' the HWS cupboard.
    Mortein cockroach bombs (and other brands,) buy a 3 pack and follow the instructions.
    Use all 3 at once,
    clean up dead bodies.... dispose of them quickly before they drop their eggs...

Pixie and Excalibur1 like this.
  17. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Use cockroach surface spray- lasts about three months and kills any insects that walk over it. Spray on the underside of benches etc.

On the positive side, these big cockroaches are the native cockroaches and not the imported ones.

They live outside naturally and they are not the kind that live in sewers, so comparatively clean.

They look bad, but this is a much better problem to have than the small European cockroaches.

18. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Try cockroach bait from coles (i assume you have bo pets). I lived in apartment infested with European cockroach before and this helps.

The more natural one is using Diatomaceous Earth, but i never tried this back then.

19. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I wonder if some sonic guard pest repellant might work too? Plug into a powerpoint. Check the info and check reviews....

20. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

I live in an old house and have an old attached warehouse, on the top of which is my Airbnb pad. Being conscious that some guests, mostly the ones who aren't Aussies, would freak out at the site of a cockroach, I get the place treated by a pest guy every 6 months. I haven't seen a cockroach in years. The DIY solutions will only be at best a partial and temporary fix.

Pumpkin likes this.