How to find old surveyors reports on rural blocks in NSW

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Hot8688, 13th Jan, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Hot8688

Hot8688 Member

How do i find surveyors reports for rural blocks in NSW ?

I have searched the NSW Planning Portal Spatial viewer site and while that gives zoning , bushfire ratings , LEP etc i cant find accurate survey links.

Where can i get surveyors reports that should be on file somewhere surely ?

ePlanning Spatial Viewer

i cant seem to post photos here ..
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

What do you mean by "surveyor's reports"?

Deposited Plans/plans of subdivision are available for purchase through online service providers.

Pictures can be uploaded to the gallery & linked.

Hot8688 and bmc like this.
  3. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

@Hot8688
    report can mean many things
    Drainage Report
    Compliance Report
    Tolerance Report
    DA report
    Deformation Report
    etc etc.
    Identification Report ?
    --- Typically not lodged with LRS
    sometimes prepared for a purchaser or sometimes attached to the sales contract. for the exclusive use of the nominated owner. null and void for anyone else.
    might find one left in the linen cupboard or in aunt bessie's sewing cupboard

however if a Surveyor finds irregularities within a Deposited Plan and or difficulties defining a property boundary to be lodged for registration,
    a report is furnished together with the plan to the Title Registra.

see here,

rg-guidelines

Hot8688 and Scott No Mates like this.
  4. Hot8688

Hot8688 Member

thankyou bmc

i think Identification report is what i am after , the property i am looking at is over 400 acres and is unfenced so i want to make sure there are accurate boundary survey pegs and no errors in the contract.

I have a friend who purchased a block after paying a surveyor , then found 3 months later that the surveyor had just ticked off the previous survey without physically checking boundary fences , and the boundary fence was out 20 feet on a 200 metre long fence , it became a big stinking mess and the buyer paid out $ 20 grand in legals and they are still arguing with the original surveyor over liability.

thats what conveyancy and due diligence is for yeah ? :eek:

5. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

i suggest you may need a current and up to date report.
    if you rely on an old report then you could end up in the same mess.
    something could have changed however indistinguishable.
    the adjoining occupiers can move fences and say "its always been like that" and the new owner is none the wiser.

how much is fencing for 200m post and wire - $2500-$3000 ? (rough guess)
    must be more to the story if $20,000 in legals and still in deliberation.

edit:
    just noticed you said your lot is unfenced. in that case definitely suggest getting the boundaries remarked otherwise you will never know what you own. any easements, restrictions, building zones, dams etc etc
    depending on the age of the original subdivision i would think that most of the pegs have probably rotted or been eaten by white ants

Last edited: 13th Jan, 2021
    Hot8688 and Antoni0 like this.
  6. Antoni0

Antoni0 Well-Known Member

Block areas can change multiple times over years for different reasons, whom are you able to sue if you rely on an outdated block report? You'll have no chance of recouping anything.

7. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

Not sure what relevance the cost of 200 metres of fence is., but 200 metres of wire is only $300 and about $100 for posts.

8. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

+ labour.
    why would you spend 20,000 on legal costs and not just rebuild the fence on the boundary line ?

but i assume there is more to the story.

9. K1200

K1200 Active Member

A "report" or even a survey plan wont be much use to you as a new owner as you probably won't be able to relate the descriptions and dimensions to physical locations on the ground.

I'd suggest that you need to get a local cadastral surveyor to do a "re-peg" or identification survey. They will find the old pegs (if they still exist) and place new ones and show you where they are on the ground. You can then maintain them or construct fencing.

Price will be dependent on location, existence of old survey marks and nature of the country, and could be anywhere between $2k-$10k.

Hot8688 likes this.
  10. Hot8688

Hot8688 Member

Yes , There is more to the story . The neighbour refuses to allow the fence to be moved.

The "new surveyor" has produced documented verified proof of where two missing boundary pegs should have been , and has repegged it but the only way the buyer could get their 20 feet of land back was court action because that neighbour dug their heels in and this week they "no speak english" and wont agree to what is clear to everyone else.

messy !

Our clients are global and know we are property tax professionals. Our advisers are qualified and experienced and we don't outsource. We can help with complex CGT, Income Tax, and Developer issues. Property is our speciality incl Trusts, Co and SMSF