How to find my exact land area? - NSW

Discussion in 'Property Information Resources & Tools' started by davewastech, 27th May, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. davewastech

davewastech Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

I've looked at my NSW Valuer General - Land Value Search. It says my block is 15.24 x 45.72m.
    And my Property Area is "696.77 sqm (calculated)". Indeed if I multiply 15.24 x 45.72 I get 696.77.

But perhaps my block may not be a perfect rectangle(?). If I look at a nearby house it has the exact same numbers. But I have heard from the owner that his block is actually 701sqm, and onthehouse confirms that. So how do I find the exact dimensions and land area of my block?

These blocks are in Willoughby LGA, NSW

Thanks,
    Dave

2. ff3

ff3 Well-Known Member

Get a survey done

3. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

beg, borrow, buy or steal a copy of the deposited plan

Scott No Mates likes this.
  4. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

I would favour the VGs area calculation over "onthehouse" as oth are only using other peoples data. I suspect the difference is due to rounding in the calculation by oth. If you round up 15.24 to 15.3 and 45.72 to 45.8 and then multiply you get 700.74 - close enough to 701.

If the property shape was a parallelogram rather than a rectangle then the area would be smaller - can't be larger assuming the dimensions are boundary lengths. The only shape with 4 sides that can have an area larger than a rectangle is a trapezium and if this is the case then one or more boundaries are longer than detailed.

5. davewastech

Would the dimensions be somewhere in the Contract perhaps? (from when we bought the place)

6. davewastech

What is a "deposited plan"? and where is it kept so that I can beg, borrow, buy or steal it? (I don't have a mortgage)

7. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

was a copy of the DP attached ?
    the DP will show the bearings, distances and an area.
    some old DP's will be in feet & inches, areas shown in acres, roods and perches.
    but there is usually a conversion table in-case you can't convert to metric.

a plan can be ordered via a broker or LRS. cost about $20-$25
    you will need the lot folio identifier number

davewastech likes this.
  8. davewastech

I had a look at the old contract - the DP has a survey map dated 1901 and shows the block to be 50 feet x 150 feet. Converted to metric that is exactly the same as the current data (15.24m x 45.72m = 696.77sqm). The map shows the other short side to also be 50 feet. It gives the area as 27.5 perch which converts to 695.6sqm (I assume 27.5 perch was rounded to just three figures, so that can be ignored).

So after reading that I can probably assume that our block really is 696.77sqm

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.