How to find average block size for suburb

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by Realist35, 23rd Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Realist35

Realist35 Well-Known Member

Evening all,

I understand that for CG, the more land the better. However my budget is a limiting factor to this, so I'm trying to buy at least a house that sits on an average block for the suburb.

How do I find what the average block for the suburb is? I tried looking on re.com under sold properties and the blocks vary in size quite a bit. Suburbs I'm looking to buy in are Deer Park, Kings Park, Albanvale, Frankston, Frankston North and Carrum Downs (500k budget).

2. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I do not know, but in mel I see a lot of blocks around the 500-600sqm mark.

Realist35 likes this.
  3. Realist35

Cheers! I've been looking in Deer Park today and the blocks vary between 500-700sqm. I was wondering whether I should avoid 500-550sqm ones...

4. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Check with others, IIRC 600 was needed technically to do a split and new dwelling, but they just changed all this.

Anyway, if you want to develop always better to have more, but a corner block of 550 may be easier for dual occ lets say.

Have to work out what you want, then narrow down on that, normal buy and hold prob more important on things external to the block, such as street, schools etc etc

Perthguy likes this.
  5. Realist35

Cheers dabbler. I think B&H would be the most appropriate strategy for me now. Especially as I need to pay close attention to rental yields; and the bigger the block (which I would need for subdivision etc.) the lower the rental yield..

6. Wendy Chamberlain

Wendy Chamberlain Well-Known Member

Each suburb will have differing rules regarding lot sizes and subdivision. So if this is something that you wish to do down the track with the property you buy, you need to make sure that irrespective of the land size, the council will let you do what you want with it.

Eg: in some suburbs, you need a minimum of 600sqm, as the overlay on the block only allows additional dwellings where each dwelling sits on at least 300sqm.

In other suburbs, a block that is only 550sqm can be subdivided and you can put multiple townhouses on it. It is case by case.