How to convert my owner occupier property into investment property

Discussion in 'Property Experts' started by Ian fitzgerald, 3rd Oct, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sunny8888

Sunny8888 Active Member

Not planning fraud, it might sounded that way tho. I work FIFO and want to buy the 1st property , got FHBSSS deposit and the FHOG to use. Working in Qld but most likely be in WA I ntge next 12 months again. So,probably get a PPOR in Brisbane now and another one in Perth next yr & sell the Brissy one in 6 yrs CGT free and pay off the Perth one ....rough plan atm

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

in that case you might want to live in it for the first 12 months, without renting, then move out and rent it and then sell CGT free within 6 years.
    Putting a flat mate in there with you in the first 12 months could result in say 50% of it being subject to CGT

Sunny8888 likes this.
  3. Sunny8888

Sunny8888 Active Member

It is not a bad idea however I am hardly ever home and don't like the idea of a whole house just to myself for 12 months.Will be buying entry level so wont have lifestyle factor for a single person either in the 25-30k radius of Brisbane CBD. I'm used to short term / hostels living on my breaks from FIFO

Might just buy it as an IP and let go of the grants .Any thoughts ?
    Cheers

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

That allows you to know you are not doing anything wrong. Sleep at night factor = priceless.

Sunny8888 likes this.