How old is too old when buying a unit?

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by regalen, 27th Oct, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. regalen

regalen Member

Is there any general rule on buying units that are old? As in at what stage too they become too old?

For example, I am looking at established units in smaller blocks (i.e. nore more than 3-4 storeys) around Penrith (NSW) and most of the blocks are approx 40 years old. One unit in particular is in a 3 storey complex with 15 units, strata is around 800 p/q and the common property appears to be well maintained with recent additions such as solar panels, upgraded security on the ground floor parking etc.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Anything predating Captain Cook wouldn't meet code, so I'd steer clear of those.

As for anything else, very subjective based on maintenance.

Pingu1988 and bmc like this.
  3. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

many established burbs in sydney, strata units are not far off 100 years old

ta
    rolf

4. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Would prefer a 40 year old red brick 3 storey over a 10 year concrete box.

VB King and Firefly99 like this.
  5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Not quite, strata came into existence in qthe 1960's, prior to that there was company title.

bmc likes this.
  6. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

well maintained 3 storey walk-ups are my preference.
    no lifts - no pools - no gyms - minimal fees.

however there is always a risk that there are maintenance issues like replacement of a roof or the old sewer pipes etc.

p.s.
    Strata Subdivision came into force 1 July 1961.
    The first strata titled building in the world was at 189 Liverpool Road, Burwood, Sydney

Gforce, VB King and Scott No Mates like this.
  7. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

For investment or PPoR?

Plenty of great choices in the old buildings, particularly if they are well maintained and funded through the sinking funds. Personally I'd take an older block with a good history than a newer model in most cases given the general standard of modern construction, which appears lacking in a lot of areas.

Ensure that if it's for investment you consider stairs and security. Also, the time of day you visit any opens as older style blocks tend to get VERY hot on the top floor in summer. Pick something that is 8 units max in the block, preferably less. Scarcity is key when investing in the unit market. Plenty of great blocks to choose from so don't be deterred by age.

- Andrew

Realist35 likes this.
  8. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Title of thread should be reworded to 'How new is too new when buying a unit?'

I wouldn't touch anything less than 10 years. Anything over 30 is fair game. Reckon the best blocks were the ones built in the 60s and 70s.

Realist35, Pingu1988, diksy and 2 others like this.
  9. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, I thought the OP was asking about the age of the buyer.... :confused::confused::confused: :D

The Y-man