Cars & Motorbikes How much to do up old car?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by LifesGood, 13th Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. LifesGood

LifesGood Well-Known Member

Hi all, I've been looking at some old Australian muscle cars and was wondering if anyone has ever refurbed an old Valiant, Monaro , Ford GT etc?

I'd love to know what to expect regarding costs to take an all original 1970s car and rebuild it.

Cheers!

2. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

You wont get change out of 50k

Johnny Cashflow and LifesGood like this.
  3. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

How longs a piece of string?
    Do you want to do it to your taste or just want to be a hoon? If hooning look for one already done, they go for cheaper than if you were to put the work in ;)

LifesGood and Bran like this.
  4. LifesGood

LifesGood Well-Known Member

A bit of both, but I'm not so sure they go cheaper than buying an old bomb and doing it up. They may not be selling, but a lot of them are advertised with a heap of "sentimental value" included in the price tag!

5. Johnny Cashflow

Johnny Cashflow Well-Known Member

If I were you I would try and find one where somebody else has done the work and needs to sell. Could get something good for 60k

Biz likes this.
  6. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

I've done an LH Torana. Nothing flash. Ran out of money, patience and energy.

bob shovel likes this.
  7. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

I've done a few cars.
    My next one will be one someone else has done their dough on.. It will cost you double to do it yourself.

Johnny Cashflow, Bran and Biz like this.
  8. Daniel007

Daniel007 Well-Known Member

Depends how much you can do yourself, body condition etc

If you're paying someone to do everything, i'd say MINIMUM 50k but easily 70k + if you want a hot motor (you can easily spend 10-20k just on this).

Like everyone else has said, buy someone else's project as it will save a lot of money and effort.

9. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Take the end value of the car, then triple it. Thats how much you will spend.

10. bob shovel

Brother!
    I had an lx. Got some gear on then got a work car, once you get a fuel card that's what matters in life!

Bran likes this.
  11. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Um, what kind of car is it?

12. Joshwaaaa

Joshwaaaa Well-Known Member

Bodywork is where the time and dollars can really stack up, so can really depend on what condition the car your starting with is in also.

I have had mates spend $40k+ on little old datsuns. Currently a mate is doing a kingswood he picked clean original condition and has put way over $50k in motor trans, diff, tubs without even looking at the body/looks side of things

13. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Ha. Mine was completely original when I bought it. Bench seat, column shift. Had a 174 from memory. Got as far as the body work done and resprayed, had some dragways and was working on a 350 chev when I gave it up

Daniel007 likes this.
  14. bob shovel

Nice!
    Mine was my grandfathers, 150km straight as. 202, 350 holley, extractors, lowered. Started looking at rb30 (Nissan turbo but Couldn't part with the cash
    One day I'll get one again, or a kingswood, station wagon!

Daniel007 likes this.
  15. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I live with 4 other mistresses which are MrWestminster's cars. They are very expensive and time consuming women. There is a Torana, '48 Chevy ute, a HT Monaro (will be re-restored next year as it's been in a shed for 20yrs) and his '98 WRX.
    Aussie muscle cars aren't as expensive as they were about 5yrs ago but they can be still up there, depends on what you want.
    You can easily spend $20k refurbing but it depends on the condition it's in and how authentic you want it to be. I have a vintage car and when it's motor dies I won't be replacing with anything genuine but will put in a Subaru EJ20 motor and probably 5sp transmission. I love the car and it's about looks not authenticity for me.
    Whatever you spend on the car you will probably never see again but it's an experience owning one and if it makes you happy then go for it. I know that MrWestminster can't afford a real girlfriend as his cars take up all his time and money.

Blacky and LifesGood like this.
  16. Joshwaaaa

Joshwaaaa Well-Known Member

I have an old 1984 skyline I spent heaps on through my apprenticeship and after, havent touched it in over 10 years. "one day" I keep telling myself don't know if that day will ever come

17. drg86

drg86 Well-Known Member

I'd say if you're not after the experience of doing up a car DIY and to your own tastes just buy one done.

I had a HG Kingswood I picked up cheap a few years ago. The time and dollars involved is something I have to decided to leave to retirement.

18. Johnny Cashflow

Johnny Cashflow Well-Known Member

No wonder drug dealers always seem to have a restoration project car lol