How much to build this?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Mizlong, 13th Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Mizlong

Mizlong Member

Hi can anyone please help

I want to build a 40 square single story brick Home just a standard build Home in shepparton Victoria

My block has nearly zero fill and it is facing the north and there is easy access to the estate only convenants is at the back fence line where the sewage pipes are

3 wet areas - “ensuite , “bathroom “laundry

Lounge room

Billiard room

4 bedrooms

Cinema room

Living area

Study room

i want to use a house company and do my own custom plan Home there are a hand full

Of house company’s in my area that allow this which also allow to use your own tradies

I have my own house tiler and I have my own concreter so hopefully I’ll save some money there

My block is 24.29 wide and 46.45 long

House prices are a lot cheaper in my area compared to Melbourne and Sydney
    For example for a 1132sqm2 block was 165,000$

what would the rough price be to build this exclude tiling and concrete thank you

Attached Files:

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Volume home builders are usually the cheapest way to go however you have to sift through the hundreds of different schemes & plans to match up with something suitable.

You would be able to get them to delete the tiling from their scope but unlikely to have much luck with structural elements like the house slab as the builder will provide its warranties over the building. The builder will duck for cover blaming the concretor for any structural defects if you took on these works.

You could get your concretor for the external works like paths and driveways.

Brady and Mizlong like this.
  3. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

I doubt any reputable builder would allow you to pour your own slab. Builders have to supply a warranty on their work, and will not want to take responsibility should a problem arise as a result of a faulty slab.
    Marg

Joynz and Mizlong like this.
  4. Mizlong

Mizlong Member

Thanks guys , any rough ideas on a rough price for what we want to build? Hoping to not pay anymore then 12,000 a square
    I won’t know for sure till the day comes I get all
    My quotes just trying to get some
    Background knowledge

5. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Well-Known Member

Go to a Display Village and talk to some sales people. That will give you a pretty decent idea. Plenty of plans out there that fit what you want. The cheapest way would be to pick a volume build plan that fits or is close to fitting what you want and then make minor changes.

You won't get much of a discount for doing things such as cancelling out tiles etc though.

Mizlong and Marg4000 like this.
  6. Mizlong

Mizlong Member

7. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

It usually costs between $1200 to $1500 per m2

Mizlong likes this.
  8. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Most volume builders would not have a 40 sq home.

But you should be able to get something in place for 10k per sq...so long as you don't go overboard.

Mizlong likes this.
  9. Mizlong

Mizlong Member

Awsome thank you , 10k a square would be amazing

10. Mizlong

Mizlong Member

Any other advice?

11. John Fish

John Fish Active Member

We are in qld but our 32sq home is $9K per square. We shopped around hard. Our builder has been building homes in the area for 30 years, well known and respected. He built homes for friends of ours. The volume builders weren't interested in accommodating some of our requirements i.e. Slab type/height thickness, Wool insulation and not fibreglass, fill, stump removal, we wanted a specific brick not a choice of 6, patio slab to be poured with the house. etc

Ours is 5 bed, 2 bath and 2 garage. (our own design)

Price Includes:
    Tree stump removal (I have to drop the trees and remove)
    85m3 of fill
    We are in a cyclone area which apparently adds approx. $5-$7K
    2550mm ceilings not 2400 ($3K)
    Stone bench tops ($5K)
    Tiles throughout except media room and bedrooms (builders range) 400X400
    Carpet to media and bedrooms (builders range)
    A/C To main bedroom
    Concrete to driveway
    Timber look garage door
    Double oven
    250m2 of turf
    LED down lighting

Things we plan on doing not included:
    Fencing (doing this myself) $4K
    Window coverings $1500
    Solar electricity $8K (8kw)
    Tiles all the way to the ceiling in ensuite and bathroom ($1K? guess)
    Stacked stone around portico ($2K guess?)
    Shed 14X7.5 $30K (thicker slab to accommodate hoist)
    We will supply a number of pendant lights ($1K)
    Driveway to shed 40m ($no idea most likely will be dirt for a long while)
    Water tanks $4K
    Water bore $2K

Things we would have liked but couldn't get in the budget:
    600X600 rectified edge tiles. The tiles are around $30m2 extra plus the tiler wants an extra $30m2 to lay them. Roughly $6-$7K
    Better carpet $4K

I hope some of this info helps.

Mizlong likes this.
  12. Mizlong

Mizlong Member

Wow 9k a square is unreal , you guys Defently got a good deal , I Defently will be shopping around and try to find the best price for quality as I can, I will be more than happy if I can find a builder that will do what we want done for ever 10k a square Lol
    Well done and thanks for the reply appreciate it

13. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Best just to get quotes in your area as costs vary between locations.

Mizlong likes this.
  14. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Can't give specific recommendations as I'm not from the state let alone area but just some thoughts, feel free to consider or entirely ignore

- have you done research on potential value completed? I've seen many an instance where someone has been tempted by the cheaper land in an area at fringes of or just outside the metro area and then used the savings achieved to funnel more into.the house build, only to.find themselves at the end with a house that is worth significantly less than what it cost them.

In.this case, if land was 165k by the time you pay for all costs to complete the home and garden, pay for all consultants, various local and state govt fees, holding costs and allow for a decent contingency, it's not in any way inconceivable that you end up.with a large and well appointed but ultimately cookie cutter-ish home that cost you close to.800k. Does the area support these sort of values for similar homes/properties?

- using.your own tiler won't be too hard, just be mindful of how your contract is.written up and on.What terms etc you're supplying your own trades. Often you'll find you end up supplying the tiles too and.unless you have access to trade prices you may end up paying more than it.would have cost to get them through a builder, even with their margin included. Also,.if.there's any damage or.theft on-site you likely won't be covered by the builders insurance.

Concrete is a definite no go for slab, best you can hope.for is to have your recommended concreter be allowed to quote for the job

- if you're looking to use your contacts or just generally be creative in.terms of value etc, a volume builder isn't.going to be the way to.go but.unfortunately that also means you'll likely pay more per sqm. Ultimately I think if you paid more attention.to the design and materials you'd end.up with a better result both in terms of.end product as well as value.for.money, than going the current path and you could get a better home with everything you want in maybe 320Sqm instead of 400 or whatever the weird square measurement is in Sqm.

- as an extension of above points, your floor plan as it stands has significant amount of wasted dead walkways, no noticeable consideration of Sun orientation and is likely to be considered by some people to.be a plan reminiscent of a ten year old home despite being brand new and that will definitely be an.issue should you.need to sell in the future.

If you consider the pros and cons of each approach and the different builder options then tailor your requests or attempts to save some cash accordingly and you'll have a better chance of making it.work not just during the quoting stage but ultimately during the build which is when the.real work starts.

Last edited: 16th Jan, 2018
    charttv and Mizlong like this.
  15. Knights of Ni

Knights of Ni Well-Known Member

You'll be a nightmare client..... any builder worth his salt won't want to deal with you. It's nothing personal....but you're trying too hard to cut corners. Getting builders to build to 'lock up' used to be worth doing, if you were a tradie or handy builder yourself...but unless you are going to do some of the work, the project managing and trying to coordinate all your mates and friends to do some work ends up being a pain and financially it's doubtful you'll save much. There are financing considerations and getting stages signed off by local council... just hire a reputable low cost builder and be done with it.

Brady, Marg4000 and Ed Barton like this.
  16. Mizlong

Mizlong Member

Thanks yeh I understand so other words owner builder is better? I know people who can help me with that department

17. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

The last words in his post were literally recommending you hire a low cost builder and get them to do all the work, how did you read his post as recommending going the owner builder route?

Brady, Joynz and Marg4000 like this.
  18. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I think you need the input of a decent building designer.

For example, the laundry is separated from the bathroom by a bedroom. Generally more efficient to put these 'wet' rooms together. Also the bedroom will have a better outlook.

Which way is north?

The alfresco seems tiny compared to the rest of the house. Why a 5m x 5m ensuite? Seems larger than really needed?

Most importantly what is your max. budget for the build including driveway etc?

Ed Barton likes this.
  19. Mizlong

Mizlong Member

Yes it’s just a rough drawing just putting it out there for some ideas mainly on the size not the rooms , I’ve done another draft since then and have changed stuff up and will finalise it when the professional designer jumps in

North is at the front of the house

Max budget is 550,000

20. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I'd have to agree re: design. Maybe see what the volume builders have? I'd suggest the rooms you won't spend much time in, put them to the west because that side of the house would be hottest in summer. Eg. Garage, laundry, bathrooms. I'd also consider putting the cinema room there (because it will essentially be windowless), but I guess it depends on how much time you'd spend there.

I'd consider making the rear accessible by vehicle - so leave a few metres for side access.

People often like to put a combined living, dining and kitchen at the rear of the house - for the outlook over the backyard.

Last edited: 16th Jan, 2018