How much profit will I walk away with if I sell?

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Gu42, 2nd Dec, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Gu42

Gu42 Active Member

I'm considering selling a property I purchased 2 years ago, I'm trying to get my head around how much profit there will be, if any.

I purchased the property for for $535,000
    The loan I have is $570,000
    Real estate fees are $5000 plus 2% commission
    If I sell it for $650,000
    And if my income was $100,000 for the year

How much would I walk away with after paying out the loan?

2. KBHV

KBHV Active Member

Never mind - I don’t know sorry. Hopefully someone else can help.

Last edited: 2nd Dec, 2021
  3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Not enough info. You need to deduct the purchase price and all sales and aquisitions costs from the sale price.
    Working out the CGT is slightly different

4. Terry_w

what about the stamp duty and adding back depreciation? Does a CGT exemption apply? 3rd element cost base expenses?

craigc likes this.
  5. KBHV

KBHV Active Member

Yes ok sorry ignore my calculations, I have no idea really just giving it a go. Luckily I work in health not accounting lol.

gman65 likes this.
  6. Gu42

Gu42 Active Member

What more info do you need? Im just trying to work out a rough figure

7. Terry_w

add up all of the costs related to the property that you have not otherwise claimed.

8. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Go see your accountant - :)

wylie and Scott No Mates like this.
  9. Gu42

Gu42 Active Member

I asked my accountant and it went from $50,000 profit to $15,000 profit and he didn't seem to have time to tell explain it to me how he worked it out. I'm not sure if he's just giving me random figures with out working it out. I know I need a new accountant but this place goes up for auction very soon and if I'm only going to end up with $15,000 I won't sell it.

10. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Pay your accountant for an hours time and they can calculate it for you.

The word 'profit' doesn't mean anything here. Have you been living in it? Renting it out? Claimed depreciation?

If your decision to sell depends on the amount of the proceeds, you are probably selling for the wrong reason.

What do you mean it goes up for auction soon? Have you already listed it? If so it's a little late to be thinking about this.

11. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

"How much profit will I make" is the wrong question. You may want to know

How much cash will be left after I sell, pay selling costs, discharge the loan and pay tax. This is the most useful number as it will be your final equity sitting in the bank that can be used for other decisions. To address this you need to consider:

1. What is the expected selling price
    2. Deduct the expected selling costs incl marketing, auction, agent and staging and legals etc
    3. Deduct the loan discharge value
    4. Deduct the expected tax on the taxable element of the capital gain. You may need assistance for that part.

Note that many people self calculate gains incorrectly and ignore the "reduced costbase" which occurs when depreciation and cap allowances have been claimed. These past deductions increase the CGT amount. But only 50% of that increase is usually subject to tax. But over a long period the number does accumulate.

Sometimes people get very excited and think they are going to walk with far more than they will and the merits of selling are negligible. We regularly do pre-sale CGT estimates. Often there is no compelling purpose to sell as the equity is small and the cost to hold the property is minor. Agents dont care.

12. Gu42

Gu42 Active Member

Original purchase price $535,000
    Stampduty $28,623
    The loan also has $6000 (the $6000 has already been claimed) on it that was used to fix the place up when I bought it
    Bringing the loan to $569,623

Sales fees are:
    $4000 for advertsing / auction fees
    $1000 for the section 32
    $13000 is the 2% commision if it sold for $650,000

Ive owned it for over 12 months so its eligable for the cgt deduction

So $650,000 take the sales fees of $18,000 is $632,000. Take the original purchase price, stamp duty and $6000 I spent on the place originally birings the profit down to $62,377. Acording to an online cgt calculator I would pay $22,425 in cgt bringing the profit down to $39,952. Then if my income tax is paid at 32.5% thats another $12,984.

Leaving me with a total profit of $26,968. Is this roughly correct or am I still missing something?
    Are the real estate fees tax deductible?
    Is the stamp duty tax deductable or would that all ready of been claimed?

13. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Your tax calc is wrong. You ignored the cg discount and you double taxed yourself. Suppose its better to be conservative if its this sort of back of the envelope with a chainsaw type calculation.

rksing and The Y-man like this.
  14. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

I paid my accountant to work it out. He came back with ‘xxxx dollars will be added to each of your incomes this year.’ Much simpler for me to understand!

Paul@PAS and rksing like this.
  15. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

@Gu42 With the CG tax thing, you basically add half the proceeds of your profit onto that year's pay. Then figure out the tax for the whole year's worth of "pay".

AFAIK if you make $30k of profit on the sale of the property AND you can get the discount, then $15k gets added to your $100k of worked (and rental?) earning. You get taxed as if you earned $115k for the year.

Was there anything else you spent on the property that was not claimed against your rental income?

The Y-man

16. Paul@PAS

You dont know what you dont know. I recently came accross someone who checked their "seems high" CGT calc. Unfortunately it was two weeks out of time to amend.

17. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

18. Paul@PAS

Yes I get told that a lot. Carry the decimal point one place ?