How much is that doggie...

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Heinz57, 26th Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

my tenants have breached their lease by bringing home a dog - lease is no pets. Just wondered what the average dollar difference in rent would be for allowing pets?

Thanks for your input!

2. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

There's not really a specific rule that I know of. I assume you'd get what you can - which comes down to supply and demand in the area. I can't back this up in any way but $20 per week sounds reasonable to me.

Cheers

Jamie

Heinz57 likes this.
  3. Lil Skater

Lil Skater Well-Known Member

As per what Jamie said.

However, some other things to consider...
    • Does the tenant have a fixed lease?
    • How much notice do you have to give of a rent increase?
    • What is the market rent?
    • Where is the property located?
    You can usually negotiate all the above (except location of course), but the reason to point it out is because in some states you cannot breach tenants for pets, so even if they decide not to negotiate - you can't kick them out.

4. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

Thank you Samantha. Yes a fixed lease in Qld and the PM has issued a breach. Paying market rent currently $340 / week.

Long term tenant, quite grubby with children who have caused a lot of damage. Because of the state of the place already I imagine the dog can't do much worse.

OTmg likes this.
  5. Lil Skater

Lil Skater Well-Known Member

No expert in QLD legislation with pets.. @Andrew Hancock?

If they're not great at keeping the property, then I suppose there's not much further "risk" to the property - but might as well try to recoup some $ for the work you will eventually need to do to it.

Last edited by a moderator: 14th May, 2018
    MyPropertyPro and Heinz57 like this.
  6. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Pet bond?

7. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

Ahh, that would mean your lease has no "vacating clauses" related to pets? Like pest control treatment etc... don't forget about that if you let them keep the pet.

@Joynz no you can't impose pet bond in Qld

8. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

Agree with points above - QLD legislation wont allow a pet bond and you cannot increase the rent either during a fixed term tenancy even if you decided you will allow the dog. Agent can (and has done so I believe) issue a breach, if breach is not remedied then yes a Notice to Leave can be issued however then obviously you have the costs involved and possible vacancy (even though technically you can actually claim any loss of rent incurred if this happened as the loss was caused by a tenant breach).

As stated above if you decide to allow the dog then certainly have your agent draft a document stating that the tenants will agree to pay any damage that the dog may cause and also have pest control carried out when they vacate and have them sign it.
    Jodi

Lil Skater and Heinz57 like this.