How much detail should a builder be providing in a quote

Discussion in 'Development' started by Keentolearn77, 23rd Nov, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Keentolearn77

Keentolearn77 Well-Known Member

Hi

I have a few builders quoting me for a small townhouse development.

I've had a quote come back with my requested upgrades detailed. The main base quote is little more than a few lines, with reference to their standard inclusions list brochure.

I've asked for a more detailed cover off quote to help me come to a decision (ie: full specification, which I have by and large received from other builders). This builder has advised they do not provide those extra details until such time as a small deposit & drawing up a building contract.
    Should I be expecting a little more from them, or is this pretty standard....

2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Did you provide the specification for the tender?
    If you did then normally they would sign a declaration stating "this price includes all items as described in the tender or to equivalent value"
    If they are using their own specification do you consider it comparable to what you are looking for?

3. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

If you've received more detail from other builders, why do you think the lack of detail this builder is offering might be the usual?

I would have said perhaps you were looking at details that didn't pertain to the price (and therefore weren't relevant at a pre-deposit stage) but it sounds like you have previous experience and are making a comparison that isn't adding up?

4. Keentolearn77

Keentolearn77 Well-Known Member

I guess, for the fact other builders have gone to trouble to provide specifics and details of the quote, having had 3-4 weeks to compile it. I would have expected a little more detail from the builder.
    It’s making it easier for me to discount them, based on the detail and attention the other builders quotes have in them.

I did provide specific extra requests for inclusion, of which they quoted for, but with the base quote which is 7 figures +, I would of expected more, or at least reference to quote being based on working drawings dated ..... engineering drawings dated.... 6 star energy report dated..... etc,
    From a volume builder, i’m Surprised and disappointed,

Just was’nt sure if it’s the norm to provide basic limited quote, leaves too many questions I want answered. As the dragons say - i’m Out

5. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I have had less on a quote and accepted it but it was because I provided all the specification and they declared it met the spec.

However shortlist your top 3 and get them one by one in a room and talk through the quote, ask them if there is anything they'd recommend changing (interior or spec wise) and go from there.

Tufan Chakir likes this.
  6. JHC

JHC Member

When requesting a quote you should provide the builders with a template of the line item details you require so they are clear about how you want your quotes received.

Sounds like in this case the builder is being lazy which isn't a great sign to begin with