How much cash on hand?

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by John Ferguson, 6th Jul, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. John Ferguson

John Ferguson Well-Known Member

Just wandering what percent of their portfolio people are holding in cash at the moment, in the event there is a market correction or fall, which provides some good buying. No one knows when a bull market will turn, but as buffet says it best to have a bucket when it's raining gold.

Cactus likes this.
  2. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

All but a few of our offsets are full and those that aren't are all interest prepaid for 12 months.
    Ready and waiting...

John Ferguson likes this.
  3. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

My cash% target of my liquid holding is 20%. So for every dollar I have in the offset, there are four dollars invested in shares/funds.

It used to be 10%, but I retreated a bit to better position myself in the event of a market correction.

4. Anne11

Anne11 Well-Known Member

50% of my target is in offset, savings put to super. So if there is a correction, offset and savings will be put to purchase shares.

5. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

You guys are good. Im impressed and nowhere near those numbers!

Realist35 likes this.
  6. b0b555

b0b555 Well-Known Member

And if there isn't a correction?

7. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

50% of what target? Portfolio value target? Or cash holding target?
    How do you plan to get your super to help you?
    Is the other 50% in shares already?

8. hobo

hobo Well-Known Member

Not even enough to buy a frozen coke at Hungry Jacks. :(

9. splatters

splatters Well-Known Member

i have around 10% of total portfolio value in cash in the offset

samiam likes this.
  10. Anne11

Anne11 Well-Known Member

I meant portfolio value target, the other 50% in shares already ( I have 3 level targets: must have, should have and nice to have). Our situation makes it more valuable to put money into my partner's super as he can access his super in a couple of years, also to increase our international allocation via super. So the plan is: keep investing regularly via super, if there is a crash, then use funds in offset to buy shares outside of super to reach the must have target.

chylld likes this.
  11. Anne11

Anne11 Well-Known Member

then continue to invest in super, earning 6-7% and in lower tax environment.

12. Alex Straker

Alex Straker Financial Life Coach Business Member

For those with cash set aside.....Not advice, industry POV and general info purpose only.

World's Briefest Market Update :)

High probability ASX200 will retrace to minimum 5400/5500 zone, expect a little violence in the wave down and possibly some news 'event' as a catalyst for a burst of negative market sentiment.

Low pivot imminent late July early August, likely to be long term lows in many stocks in this time zone.

Long term sector view...

Leading the index: Industrials, Information Technology, Consumer Discretionary, Health Care.

Leading index but cut currently weakening: Utilities, Property Trusts, Energy, Gold

Lagging index: Financials (ex property trusts)

Lagging but improving against index: Metals and Mining, Resources, Materials, Emerging Companies, Telecommunications

Gold also looks to have formed major low to end long term retracement and has resumed uptrend.

Commodities in general making comeback, resources, mining, materials likely to have at least minor rebound and if moves in to leading index will become longer term holds, particularly look for gold sector to be strong as longer term play (as it has for previous 6 months with massive outperformance) as gold price continues recovery.

Remember even in a weak market looking for relative strength is always the best edge.

DYOR, again no advice

Last edited: 7th Jul, 2017
    Kat, Spets, Starbright and 2 others like this.
  13. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Lack of volatility in recent times has been disappointing. Happy to see it starting to return again in recent days. Hopefully it will get much worse. Long term bond holders getting a little jumpy.

Having reached our retirement goal I'm really not interested in buying much anymore unless there's blood in the streets.

Nearly a decade since the GFC. Would be nice to see another meltdown. Then again Price is still well off the GFC high. The mother of all mining booms I think inflated the the GFC high. One only has to look at the following chart showing All Resources accumulation to see how strong the mining boom was. That said these are strange times at the moment.

IMG_0303.JPG

14. Alex McDonald

Alex McDonald Active Member

Currently have:
    35% Cash
    20% in AU LICs
    45% in Vanguard International wholesale.

We will be moving cash down to 20% and investing with LICs when there are good buying opportunities to bring it up to a 20,40,40 split.

15. Foxdan

Foxdan Well-Known Member

These posts are great. Helps us beginners in stocks get an understanding of markets, new terms and what to research. Keep em up @Alex Straker

Alex Straker and Chris Au like this.
  16. Spets

Spets Well-Known Member

Sitting on about 90% cash and 10% LICs/shares atm. Slowly feeding into LICs every month, plan to double up purchases if crash occurs.

joel likes this.
  17. Wiz of Aus

Wiz of Aus Active Member

Agree excellent summary

18. Zoolander

Zoolander Well-Known Member

About 10% in cash. All in the offset against my future PPOR to squeeze interest down. Dont see a point putting it anywhere else

Edit: whoops didnt see the "othet asset classes" bit of this thread. Wrong section for this post