How many more years of pain for the Perth market?

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Citycat88, 12th Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

How many more years of pain for the Perth market?

Poll closed 23rd Jan, 2020.
  1. 1 year

45 vote(s)
    15.3%
  2. 2-3 years

129 vote(s)
    43.9%
  3. 4-7 years

60 vote(s)
    20.4%
  4. 8+ years - similar to the GFC in some other countries

34 vote(s)
    11.6%
  5. Indefinite - a Japan style asset bubble collapse for decades to come

26 vote(s)
    8.8%
  1. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

That would be true if it wasn't already incorrect, the recovery has begun and the worst is over, there is increasing activity and interest across a wider range of the market than before and imo this will continue

charttv, Sackie and Westminster like this.
  2. Ross Forrester

Ross Forrester Well-Known Member

I am getting whiplash views on the property market at the moment.

A mate listed his house In Subiaco. 33 couples on the first viewing and under offer in 2 weeks.

The Reno was awesome but the result is hardly a bear market.

Scaphella, JohnPropChat and sanj like this.
  3. Scaphella

Scaphella Well-Known Member

Gladys, Scott Townsend and Rentvester like this.
  4. Laken

Laken Active Member

For me, PPOR wise, there are good properties with realistic prices out there. Had I been looking for one, I would have had several I would have been interested in. No lowballing needed, would just match asking.

5. Ross Forrester

Ross Forrester Well-Known Member

I think the lowball of guys are not getting much love at the moment - at least not in the western suburbs. Asking price or round abouts if properly priced.

Maybe you can low ball in the outer rim cookie cutter suburbs.

6. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

While I don't agree with the headline, the lessons learned are good:

So what can you learn from all of this? Here are my top 5 lessons learned:

1) Don't rush into the market, do your research and plan for the worst.

2) Understand that value is in the location. It is more than just about great amenities, think about lifestyle and sustainability.

3) Know your options – there are many developers on the market and even more builders. Make comparisons and find a solution that works for you.

4) Look for ways to add value to the build rather than minimising cost. Standard products will lose value over time.

5) Engage a building inspector to ensure the quality of the build is at a high standard.

Scaphella and JohnPropChat like this.
  7. Bonz

Bonz Well-Known Member

There's nothing much wrong with the property market in Perth for a savy investor. You need to pick the right areas, build or buy a home which provides a comfortable livability with low utility costs, close to employment opportunities and transport. Properly researched properties provide capital growth and good rent returns.

The days of simply buying any property believing it will appreciate for no other reason other than it's a piece of real estate are long gone.

8. Jmillar

Jmillar Well-Known Member

Hi guys,
    I own 10 IPs in Sydney and QLD, and am now looking for projects that I can flip. These markets aren't conducive of these sort of deals, so I'm wondering whether Perth might have such deals in the coming 6-12 months. It seems opportunities exist to buy well at the moment in Perth.

I've just read through this thread and a lot of focus seems to be on $1m+ areas. I'm more interested in areas similar to Logan, Ipswich and Western Sydney - ie sub $400k buy in, low to medium socio economic demographics is fine, within reach of a major CBD, and the opportunity to buy larger land components with opportunity to add value. I would also look at areas closer in with smaller land where I could buy neglected homes, reno and sell if there are opportunities there.

Where would be some good areas to start researching, and what is the market sentiment of these areas at present?

I haven't even been to Perth before so I'm in the very early stages of my research. Will probably spend 3-6 mobths researching before I strike :)

propertylad likes this.
  9. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

@Jmillar for bargain talk hop over to the Perth bargain thread
    We talk a lot about $1m+ in this thread as it's had major pain in the last 10 years so it's a recurring theme
    Sub $400k is a massive mortgage belt price and a lot of it is hurting but there is in cookie cutter land (ie far out land estates) where it would be hard to flip for profit.
    There are some areas of note though that you might want to look at - follow the Midland train line from the city for larger places towards the end from Bayswater and beyond.
    For smaller places there are a number of older 2 bedroom duplexes in Perth build in the 60s/70s which are now ripe for renovation or small extension to add a 3rd bedroom - look to Dianella, Osborne Park, Stirling for example 1/359 The Strand Dianella WA 6059 - House for Sale #125604390 - realestate.com.au

10. Scaphella

11. muller23

muller23 Well-Known Member

12. Vassago

Vassago Well-Known Member

Last edited: 14th Aug, 2017
  13. Scaphella

It's in Maranagroo, closer to Madley than Balga :p. There is minimal land to subdivide in Marangaroo, maybe having a triplex site isn't the worst thing in the world...got a survey done today, will see how it goes ;)

14. muller23

muller23 Well-Known Member

all the best :)

Scaphella likes this.
  15. Scaphella

"The owners claim it will create 250 direct jobs and more than 450 indirect jobs during the construction phase, which has begun. The owners claim that once complete, DFO will create 650 direct retail jobs and more than 450 indirect jobs."

DFO to bring cheap shopping to Perth Airport

Perthguy likes this.
  16. Scaphella

17. rhinsor

rhinsor Well-Known Member

All in the golden triangle and the article is without references.

18. Scaphella

ah well i thought it was interesting...

Perthguy likes this.
  19. Alexb

Alexb Member

Yep absolute puff piece, the Western Suburbs weekly reporting 9/10 suburbs are in the Western Suburbs. Shock

20. Scaphella

The actual content of the article regarding information on the surburbs i thought might interest some folk. 99% of the suburbs listed are the ones the developers on this site in Perth mention quite often. (FYI - Their article in May this year listed Craigie, Padbury and Woodvale)

Perthguy and Westminster like this.