How many inspections are normal before settlement?

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by robertd, 25th Sep, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. robertd

robertd Member

I recently sold my IP - we exchanged unconditional contracts over 3 weeks ago. The house is vacant and I've been generous allowing the new purchaser to go there with the agent several times to do 'quotes' etc.

They asked several times to do major work prior to settlement and offered me access to the 10% deposit and early settlement. But I said no just in case there are issues- liability caused by injury etc. I decided its not worth the risk.

I asked via the agent and my solicitor if they want to settle early- as it seemed like they were in a rush to do the work. But no... they will stick to the long settlement.

The latest request for access was for a trivial reason and I decided to say no more access until the pre-settlement inspection. Actually I suspect the agent is not telling me the truth (perhaps).

I acknowledge all circumstances are different but what is normal in these situations? How many times should one allow the purchaser access one's property prior to settlement?

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I would think one pre-settlement inspection is normal, unless they've asked for entry for quotes etc in which case it is up to you.

3. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

In which State is the property?

I agree with @wylie. In Queensland, I am sure the standard contract only allows for one inspection. I have added an additional condition which stated both parties agree to visits for quotes, typically limited to one or two.

I would never allow a purchaser to undertake any work on my property prior to settlement.

Sackie likes this.