Education & Work How many hours a week do you "work"?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Steven Ryan, 9th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

How many hours a week do you work on average?

Poll closed 23rd Jan, 2020.
  1. 0

14 vote(s)
    6.0%
  2. 1-10

9 vote(s)
    3.8%
  3. 11-20

10 vote(s)
    4.3%
  4. 21-30

17 vote(s)
    7.2%
  5. 31-40

59 vote(s)
    25.1%
  6. 41-50

70 vote(s)
    29.8%
  7. 51-60

28 vote(s)
    11.9%
  8. 61-70

10 vote(s)
    4.3%
  9. 71-80

6 vote(s)
    2.6%
  10. 80+

12 vote(s)
    5.1%
  1. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Miami Mice??

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

As with many above - not really sure what is considered "work" any more........
    full time day job + 2 other casual part time jobs + 6 hours Church + share trading + reno work + involved in a start up business with some friends........ hardly ever home!

The Y-man

3. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

37.5 hours a week on the clock..

S.T, orangestreet and WattleIdo like this.
  4. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

@MTR Thank you for sharing your story :) Amazing to see how you have managed through difficult times, and come out stronger!

MTR likes this.
  5. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

@MTR great story Marisa. So much resilience. Adversity builds character. Couldn't have guessed this...your attitude is great!! Very inspiring

MTR likes this.
  6. radson

radson Well-Known Member

Generally about 90 hours a week but only for half the year.

7. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    Typical 9-5 office job, which is pretty laid back. I'm also studying at uni full time externally, which takes up around 20 hours a week in study.

8. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Inspiring story MTR as always. Do you mind sharing how you meet serviceability with the banks to develop if you don't have a steady income apart from the rents from the US (which I'm guessing makes up the majority of your passive income?) Also, do Aussie banks factor in the rent from your Atlanta IPs?

Last edited by a moderator: 28th Nov, 2015
  9. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Whatever it takes, to get the job done.

10. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

My partner has had a day job, but since posting this... is now working part-time and will be retiring after completion of my Melbourne developments. We could both solely live off rental income, but Then developing property came into play and now our end plan is for my daughters to also acquire these skills and hopefully one day this will become their passion.

I don't completely live off US income, we bring part of the money home and some funds remain in US, as I am planning to buy another property in Atlanta.

I use various strategies to increase income/capital, dependent on market, cash available and funding and just keep working at it.

I develop property full-time and turned over/sold 2 projects last year (do a search on Spearwood if you want to view the numbers on this project). I generally inject profits back into development projects. However, my accountant will use part of the profits as income.

I currently hold 7 Australian properties, some development sites. But I trade so the numbers can go up and down.

I also flip property, if I see a spike in the market in a particular pocket I will buy 2-3, whatever I can afford at the time and sell them after 12 months. I did this with 4 properties in the Perth market when it started rising in 2012, I sold out in I think late 2013, those 4 sales made me around $220K, easy money. Developing is long process, sometimes its nice to just take the money and run.

With APRA changes it will clearly get tighter, though I am not too worried, I was an investor when they got rid of low doc/no doc, now its back and I am currently using it for my last 2 projects.

MTR:)

Last edited: 12th Aug, 2015
    Lacrim, Gockie, ellejay and 1 other person like this.
  11. 2FAST4U

I get paid for 37.5 hours a week.
    But honestly I only work for 7 hours a week the rest of the time I just go on the internet read the news, forums, watch youtube videos etc.
    Got my own office so feel like a boss ****.
    Don't know why I'd ever want to retire when I get paid just for turning up in my office 9-5:cool:

12. 2FAST4U

The irony is I used to work in a meat factory 50 hours a week where I'd get my balls busted. It was -4 degrees in the factory and I always had to be doing something and would come home soaking wet and smelling like meat everyday.
    Yet now I work 15% as much and get paid double the price.
    So much for working hard leads to money:p

Observer and MTR like this.
  13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Fantastic.
    Never tell your children to find a good job and work hard, setting them up for failure. Think outside the square

14. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

What are you doing these days to 14 times your old hourly rate, that's a nice multiple.

Nothing wrong with working hard though, imagine what you'd get if you worked even harder than before at what you're doing now.

15. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Private Sector or Government?

16. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Working so few hours though must get tedious after a while? There's only so much nothingness and youtubing you can do I would have thought?

I had a job where I really only needed to do 2 hours of work in an 8 hour day but I got so bored of it quickly. I like having lots to do, feeling productive, not to the extent of work being overwhelming but always something to work on.

17. sammmeee

sammmeee Well-Known Member

I work 25hrs a week but get a full time wage. Love my job, so it doesn't feel like work.

18. 2FAST4U

Yeah it does get tedious at times and the worry for me is we're going through a 're-structure' atm but so far instead of cutting people they've just re-allocated roles. Working hard/smart is important but a lot of jobs just come down to luck. Heck, just being born in a developed country is luck.

19. Doncossack

Doncossack Active Member

I am only working about 10 hrs a week at the moment as it's summer in Russia and most of my students are on holidays. I am doing lots of triathlon training as I have 2 competitions in two weeks.. I love summer here but the winter is terrible...

September will be long days again,luckily I work in a stress free job.

20. lowIQ

lowIQ Member

I have 4 jobs technically and work >80 hours a week.

With these hours and 3 young kids, the challenge for me (I am sure as well for others) is to achieve some sort of work-life balance. Whilst its tempting to give up on the public work (I am a medical profession) but someone has to train those junior doctors as they will be the one that operates on or treat my family someday :)

I do love my work though but property investment is such a good distraction.