How long to give a BA

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Nervous, 10th Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

Sometimes waiting is better - it may just mean they're more selective in their process.

By the sounds of it they're already doing that (via comments on links already provided to them).
    I'd be happy that they're seeking something they really believe in, rather than trying to sell you something quicker because your itchy to get it done. Purchasing property in general can take a bit of time. We have some clients looking for 12 months for the right property (obviously we're not BA's and its usually without assistance).

Putting too much pressure may mean you get yourself a quicker deal, but less optimal. A friendly call with a question or two may help get an update.

Nervous and JacM like this.
  2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

If it were that easy to source a property with restrictive parameters, why would anyone engage a BA? as @Corey Batt points out, progress is not linear, it's not a fixed process - it's a moving target.

Communicating that nothing which has come across their desk isn't much of a report but until there's movement, there's nothing to report (other than the sites which have been excluded/discounted).

Nervous and JacM like this.
  3. Nervous

Nervous Well-Known Member

Thank you everyone. You are an amazing bunch of people. I think I’ll just let them be for couple weeks. Not particularly in rush and don’t want to be a pest. If I don’t hear anything in two weeks will pick up the phone and give them a call.

4. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

For what it's worth, my Brisbane purchase took 4 months, but I'm very happy with the result.

Nervous and Noobieboy like this.
  5. Nervous

Thank you. Yes I thought so too. I think if I don’t hear back by end of the week I’ll just give them a quick call on Monday. To say hello and see how they are tracking. Thank you for feedback.

I wish everyone used WhatsApp. It is so convenient!

6. Nervous

Wow 4 months? I hope it will take much less than that. I have a full approval from bank (subject to valuation) and it expires in 23 days :oops:

7. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Yeah, my pre-approval expired too but it's not a big deal. One of the purposes of a pre-approval is to verify that you'll get the finance. If it's done properly and nothing changes, then you'll still get the finance after it's expired.

Propertunity likes this.
  8. Nervous

Thank you. I hope that is the case. If anything my situation should become better. I will be outside my probation period by the time it expires.

9. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Thats a conditional approval :)

ta

rolf

Nervous likes this.
  10. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

No longer reporting to your parole officer?

Nervous likes this.
  11. Nervous

lol. Same parole officer only with less power ...;)

Technically that’s true. But I doubt valuation is a problem. Issue could be serviceability for any future applications as far as I read on these forums.

12. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Yep, I only mention it for clarity, since many new people will read this an make assumptions

Typically a proper conditional approval is fine - literally subject to a val AND update of data if the pre approval is 4 to 6 weeks old or older.

Two things here

1. a 90 day or 180 day pre approval DOES need new data verification like pays outgoings and deposits etc if the pre approval is converted to a full outside of the lenders support docs period - typically thats 4 to 6 weeks

2. Many conditionals arent much use and can not be relied upon, especially if they are 80 % or less. Many lenders do a low level system approval, or a "fly over" human approval. Typically, a proper pre approval needs to have gone to credit.

Which is why one should always confirm what type of approval one has IF going to an auction or doing an unconditional offer.

Loans aint Loans

ta
    rolf

13. Nervous

Thank you @Rolf Latham you are a star. If we ever buy second property would love to chat with you.

Yay. Got an email from the BA. They put an offer on 2 properties (have no clue which property or where it’s located). They said they will send details if/when offer is accepted. Apparently they lowballed and can’t guarantee any response will be received. I’ll update here if anything comes up.

Will post property details as well for your feedback.