How long to fix interested rate for investment property

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by Esma, 26th Jul, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Esma

Esma Well-Known Member

How long are you fixing interest rate on investment property? 3 or 5 years? What after the Interest only period expires?

2. Tony Xia

Tony Xia Structured Loan Advisor Business Member

Theres probably a 0.3% to 0.5% difference between 2 rates, investment loans are generally a set and forget loan, by saying that 3 years is good.

After IO finishes you can either refinance to extend the IO again or it will revert to principle and interest.

3. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

How long is a bit of string ?

fixed last ones for 5 years, but had a bunch also on variable, even though rates dropped, the rate negotiated still stayed competitive & it meant the outgoing for x years on those loans was known.

This is my reasoning for fixing, but there are many things too consider, such as needing too sell, refinance, etc etc, needs proper thought, no hope for me to tell you what is good for you :)

4. skater

skater Well-Known Member

As @dabbler said, selling could be a risk. For me I've just fixed one for 12 months only as it's one I might sell. Others I've fixed for longer.

5. Esma

Esma Well-Known Member

Thank you all for replies. I think 3 years sounds fine for the beginning.

Samj likes this.

Do you need help with investment strategies, don’t want to buy the wrong stocks, or you just need a regular income stream? We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.