How imp is new carpet/vinyl when selling property

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by L3ha7, 4th May, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Will you buy property with some carpet damage?

1. Yes

85.7%
  2. No

14.3%
  1. Closet

Closet Well-Known Member

We were told by carpet companies that general rule of thumb is light if selling dark if keeping- particularly to make attractive to oo

Tom Rivera and GG55 like this.
  2. L3ha7

L3ha7 Well-Known Member

Much appreciated @Closet

The carpet guy owns some ips and he said it will give pie e of mind to investors and OOs just be happy with the dark one.

Personally we prefer light but we are selling so want to put something that can attract more buyers.

3. skater

skater Well-Known Member

When you first said molasses, my reaction was YUCK! But looking at the photo, it doesn't look that dark. I was imagining something a really dark grey, almost black. I quite like the one in the photo. I'm not a fan of really light coloured carpet, although it looks nice, it's hard to keep clean, so as a rental, it's a no-go for me. I'm presuming that the original carpet is the dirty looking beige that can be seen underneath the samples? Imagine how bad that really light carpet would look with that amount of grime on it........

So, if it was my property, I'd go with the molasses. As an investor, it wouldn't put me off, because it will hide some of the tenants grime. As an OO, it still looks nice, but if that was all that was holding me back, I could just replace. No biggie in my mind.

4. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

As @skater said.

There is a big difference between worn carpet that must be replaced quickly, and new carpet in a colour the buyer may not care for and can be replaced when convenient.

When we bought our PPOR I really disliked the tiles in the main bathroom (1970s colourful pattern.). But the house was new, so we lived with them for 15+ years until the shower leaked and the bathroom needed renovating.
    Marg

5. L3ha7

L3ha7 Well-Known Member

Thanks guys.

In my humble opinion the colour of the carpet shouldn't matter to investror bcoz an investor is getting a oroperty with zero$ to spend and tenants can be in straight away after that it comes down to property manager to take pics and make sure tenants are looking after the place and tenants responsibility is to restore the property by steam cleaning etc to protect the bond money.

GG55 likes this.
  6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@L3ha7 - can't comment on colour without knowing the wall colour, lighting, wind direction, room usage, or temperature.

7. L3ha7

L3ha7 Well-Known Member

Whute ceiling, cream/condensed milk/light egg shell kinda walls (i said 3 things just to give an idea as I do not know the exact color terminology)

Plenty natUral light in every room and living room that opens up into back yard.

I don't think I am capable to comment on other things.

8. Marg4000

You must always allow for fair wear and tear. You can’t expect everything to remain pristine. Any attempt to do so will be quickly over-ruled by the Tribunal in the case of a dispute.

A light coloured carpet will mark more readily, and stains are inevitable despite steam cleaning.

As an investor, I always steered clear of very light carpet, or reduced any offer to reflect the necessity to replace it earlier than a more serviceable colour. I always tried to make any IP as easily cared for as possible to broaden its appeal to tenants, particularly if my target market was families.
    Marg

skater likes this.
  9. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Good tenants can turn bad. Property manager's, even the best ones, can't MAKE a tenant look after something in the way you'd like it looked after. Steam cleaning will only do so much, and when it comes down to a claim from the tribunal, you will find that they will depreciate the carpet at a much quicker rate than it's real life expectancy. I can't remember how long....I suspect they give you 10 years. I know from personal experience that a carpet that is looked after will last a lot longer.

This

10. L3ha7

L3ha7 Well-Known Member

I will ask my wife to take wall.and ceiling pics and then go to the carpet shop to match and see.

11. L3ha7

L3ha7 Well-Known Member

Well well well, they do not have light colour in stock because it is not the high usage so we decided to go with the in between of light and dark (pic attached) but when you put next to molessas-tge molessas wins so @skater we are going with Molessas ;)

Attached Files:

skater likes this.
  12. Marg4000

Looks good.
    Marg

L3ha7 likes this.
  13. L3ha7

L3ha7 Well-Known Member

How does it look?(need vaccum I guess)

Attached Files:

skater likes this.
  14. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Looks good.

L3ha7 likes this.
  15. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

Certainly does! :)

DoubleD and L3ha7 like this.
  16. DoubleD

DoubleD Well-Known Member

Great read just in time for my carpet selection :)

L3ha7 likes this.
  17. L3ha7

L3ha7 Well-Known Member

Glad this thread could helo you. I have/am learning alot from pc