How I should get new customers - your opinion

Discussion in 'Starting & Running a Business' started by budgetbathrooms, 19th Jul, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. budgetbathrooms

budgetbathrooms Member

Hi,

before anyone mentions word of mouth, previous clients, or paid advertising. At the moment i'm unable to do this as I've been handed directorship of a business and am keen to get customers without spending money. Well my first few anyway.

So my question is 1) how would you go about hiring a renovations business?

Also 2) what makes you buy their services?

Ive tried offering free design consultations, but interior designers cost money, I've got myself but I'm currently not 100% qualified but can still do consultations due to my experience in the area of bathrooms and kitchens. I can literally sit with customers and go through design ideas, as well as measure up and draw a plan. I think most companies offer this for free.

Are there any offers i could do that would make you think - 'i would like to try out this business for my renovation'. Currently all i can offer is my time and expertise.

thank you

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

What exactly is your value proposition? What is your answer to ‘why should I use you?’

Propertunity likes this.
  3. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Your not selling Reno's, you're selling trust.

People need to trust you to come into their homes, not leave mess and do a good job.

Base your whole campaign around trust and you'll be away. (Providing you can deliver, of course!)

I'd do the first few jobs at a discount providing that the customer is willing to deliver a testimonial to camera.

Once you have about four or five customers piece together a video for playout on your website and social media. Throw a few $1000 into Facebook and target families with the video.

TMNT likes this.
  4. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I agree with @hammer - but you have to know what your market is. With your business name you're emphasising price rather than quality. It's also a name which can be more difficult to Google.

BTW you shouldn't be using your business name on the forum without being a business member.

Keep on top of reviews. Respond to them positively, even if they are negative. I've seen places with a negative review responding with a lot of hostility - and that isn't a good look for the potential customer reading the review. Imagine Basil Fawlty responding to a review on ProductReview or similar.

wylie and TMNT like this.
  5. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Yep, when reading reviews I see negative reviews by a customer and then the owner replies and replies for ever, even if they are right, it forces people to read the bit first.

Definitely forget your ego, and address it properly and consistently