How has COVID-19 impacted on your Airbnb property?

Discussion in 'Airbnb & Short Term Letting' started by thydzik, 14th Feb, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. thydzik

thydzik Well-Known Member

Has anyone noticed a reduction in bookings due to the coronavirus?

I've only just started with Airbnb again, so I can't really tell, but definitely feels slow on the bookings.

I'm thinking of bringing another apartment onto Airbnb next week, wondering if I should just stick with long term leases till this blows over.

Perthguy likes this.
  2. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I am having one of my biggest months ever this month. March only has 2 bookings and April has none at this stage.

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I wonder if that is because (like us), people are choosing to holiday close to home until the scale of the problem and overseas travel is clearer?

Marg4000 and The Y-man like this.
  4. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

There may be bookings affected by the fire situation, even by the smoke, which was affecting many cities.

And now "flow on" effects from the floods.

5. thydzik

6. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Anyone else stopping Airbnb right now? I'm assuming most people are not getting many bookings.

What will you do with your property?

Hopefully we're past the worst within 6 months or so - can people hold on that long without any bookings?

7. moridog

moridog Well-Known Member

I just posted on another thread, haven't had a booking at our airbnb since the outbreak, we had a really good Easter booking and already had a group in there on a longish booking. Our Easter booking cancelled as they have had to cancel their wedding, the house is actually for sale but if not sold we will put it on the rental market and re assess in a year or two.

8. S1mon

S1mon Well-Known Member

yeh im taking a hit for sure. got a few guests from overseas that have obviously cancelled and yeh less bookings. thinking i might up the weekly discount to something fairly substantial for a while. there must still be some local demand. people travelling to visit sick family or as you suggest Simon. Maybe a few 14 day bookings but don't really want to be cleaning such bookings :)

9. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Someone posted this on an Airbnb facebook group.

If anybody wanted a mini getaway.
    Screenshot_20200317-122241_Samsung Internet.jpg

10. thydzik

I've surprisingly had pretty good utilisation. all last minute bookings, some overseas some local.

try the other channels as well to further improve bookings. i.e. stayz, booking.com, trip adviser.

Gockie likes this.
  11. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I've just had a friend ask if we know of anyone who has a self-contained area for his daughter's friend to self-isolate after arriving into the country from South Africa. I said we could not risk having her in our downstairs area because of hubby's risk factors, and he would have her stay with them but his wife is immune compromised.

I suggested he may find some cheap AirBNB places but he says they are all putting prices up because of the need for self-isolation for those flying in.

Gockie likes this.
  12. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Update: the March bookings got cancelled.

New booking for March/April for 2 weeks for self-isolation for people returning to Perth from overseas. Special offer of $2,750 accepted. That will make March less painful.

thydzik and Gockie like this.
  13. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Airbnb hosts forced to lock up loo paper as coronavirus wreaks havoc

Airbnb hosts are watching their incomes nosedive as guests — who are also being asked to bring their own toilet paper — cancel bookings amid coronavirus fears.

Holiday cancellations have ramped up since the Federal Government announced that people arriving from overseas must isolate for 14 days

... read more
    Statement from Airbnb about COVID-19: Extenuating Circumstances Policy for the Coronavirus (COVID-19) | Airbnb Help Centre

14. S1mon

S1mon Well-Known Member

air bnb did email this morning which included

"First and foremost, we are going to get through this crisis as partners—our success is dependent on the success of you, our hosts. We are working day and night on a plan of action that will help you get through this extremely difficult time. We will share this with you as soon as possible in the coming weeks."

so sounds like they might throw a few bob hosts way?

15. CSDS

CSDS Well-Known Member

Im not an AirBnb host but I am a frequent user. Have just cancelled my booking on the Mornington Peninsula for this weekend as a friends wedding has been cancelled and overseas guest arriving will face quarantine.

16. James Bond

James Bond Well-Known Member

We have guests leaving on Wednesday and then no bookings at all. We did have a 5 week booking from Hong Kong who naturally cancelled. Fortunately this is a granny flat and we don't rely on the income. I feel for people who need their AirBnB income to pay off mortgages etc.

17. thydzik

I had my 5 week company booking cancelled. It was on Homeaway so the cancellation policy was pretty much none back to the guest. But I said I would give him future credit.

I have already listed the property for long term lease. Some interest which is good.

Pretty bad for short term at the moment.

18. Proprieta

Proprieta Member

If you have an AirBnB at the moment I would definitely put it up for long term rent for at least 12 months.

This is going to take 12 months or more before we see any people movement back to normal levels, and potentially longer if you rely on international travelers.

Yes people will bounce back and travel again as soon as the borders are open, but in mass a lot of individuals and businesses are going to take awhile to repair balance sheets and confidence again before they move around at levels seen before.

This is going to be a significant economic event which will take awhile to recover from. And it will be a bumpy road as well.

19. S1mon

S1mon Well-Known Member

i note yesterday air bnb said the following. not great for me as i have a 'moderate' cancellation policy and most guests cancelled > 5 days out..might get a few hundred out of many thousands lost. I will apply for relief if they invite me to.

"
    We will pay $250 million to hosts to help cover the cost of COVID-19 cancellations.
    When a guest cancels an accommodation reservation due to a COVID-19 related circumstance, with a check-in between March 14 and May 31, we will pay you 25% of what you would normally receive through your cancellation policy. This applies retroactively to all COVID-19 related cancellations during this period. This cost will be covered entirely by Airbnb. These payments will begin to be issued in April. Guests with reservations booked on or before March 14 will still be able to cancel and receive a standard refund or travel credit equivalent for 100% of what they paid. You can go to airbnb.com/250Msupport for more details.

We are creating a $10 million Superhost Relief Fund.
    This is designed for Superhosts who rent out their own home and need help paying their rent or mortgage, plus long-tenured Experience hosts trying to make ends meet. Our employees started this fund with $1 million in donations out of their own pockets, and Joe, Nate and I are personally contributing the remaining $9 million. Starting in April, hosts can apply for grants for up to $5,000 that don't need to be paid back. You can go to airbnb.com/superhostrelief for more details.

We are making it easy for your previous guests to send financial support directly to you.
    We have heard from countless guests who are incredibly grateful for the flexibility of Airbnb hosts and are interested in supporting you financially. We are creating a way for guests to send a note along with a contribution to any of the hosts who they’ve previously stayed with. We expect this to go live in April. We know that even a little goes a long way during this challenging time.
    "

20. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I think strict used to something like no refunds at all, then at least 14 days out with 50% refund (I think!), then very recently without really telling anybody they made it only 7 days. So I think there is hardly any difference between moderate and strict.
    I could be wrong though.