How has COVID-19 affected you personally?

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Simon Hampel, 14th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. standtall

standtall Well-Known Member

I made a ‘stupid’ choice to attend the BBL game at SCG on Saturday.

Monday started with a bit of brain fog which developed into lethargy later in the day and I even took a nap in the afternoon which is very unusual for me. I did a RAT which came out negative. On Tuesday, I had a bit of runny nose on waking up but still a negative RAT. By the afternoon, I started having a headache and decided to do another RAT and this time it came positive with a faint line which is still a positive. I did it twice to be sure.

I registered the resultonline and was deemed low risk by automated risk assessment tool. Wife and kids have tested negative and we are all isolating for 7 days. I tested again today and result has come negative this time despite headache most of the day. My faith in rapid tests is a bit shaken at the moment and will be isolating for 7 days regardless.

So far what I have learnt:

- Symptoms are much more reliable way to know you have Covid than antigen tests. I have tested negative, positive, positive, negative in a span of 36 hours. Fortunately we were able to find and afford enough tests but I feel for an average family having to burn $200 worth of tests and still not getting reliable results. Apparently rapid tests are only useful when you are 3-4 days into the infection and have sufficient amount of virus in your system to trigger a positive result. This makes their usefulness very limited.

- Stock up on essentials - when the whole family has to isolate for 7 days, you need a full fridge and well stocked pantry to get through.

- I was able to procure antiseptic lozenges (not just strepsils), vitamin c, iodine gargles, codral (sleeping pill version) and lot of Panadol which are absolutely essential to have around with covid. Just using antiseptic lozenges regularly has possibly cut my symptoms by a long way.

And last but not the least, make sure your Netflix, prime, foxtel subscription are all in good order if you were to get covid at some stage (kind of becoming inevitable).

Good luck to everyone dealing with covid!

spoon, Observer, Sackie and 5 others like this.
  2. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Hubby and I got it during Christmas break despite being quite careful - it started with very very mild sore throat. Our initial RAT was his positive and mine negative. We went for PCR which confirm the same.

As he recovered, my sore throat got worse and RAT went positive a few days later - didn't bother to get PCR hubby was positive, so I most likely have it too.

His symptoms was cold-like - sore throat, stuffy nose, dizzyness, muscle ache and fatigue. My symptoms is mainly sore throat, cough and worse than usual back pain. Even after I recovered, dry throat leading to coughing and excess phlegm linger for many days which apparently common post-Covid.

Some of my friends hit much harder with fever etc, so I count myself lucky.

My tips to them is similar to @standtall :
    - Stock up on lozenges, like a lot of them. My sore throat was pretty painful that I probably ate 1-2 packs of lozenges a day.
    - Get the sore throat spray to help at night + water
    - Have Panadol and cold tablets handy
    Bonus:
    - always have emergency toilet paper in stock :rolleyes: because there are limited stock, not because of symptoms (although apparently diarrhea is also common for Omicron)

3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I thought you were supposed to hug the big packs to feel better? :D

The Y-man

4. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

You would mentally feel better, though probably do nothing much physically :D

Joynz and The Y-man like this.
  5. standtall

standtall Well-Known Member

Day 6 of my covid - PCR came out negative while a RAT was positive in the morning. Called NSW health and they think either my virus level is too low (true negative phase) or simply a wrong PCR. They asked me to do another PCR to be sure.

In my experience, Right Sign test is the most sensitive and possibly PCRs now have reduced sensitivity given widespread Covid. Earlier ones used to give positives for months after Covid and same sensitivity now would result in extremely high positive rates.

6. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

RAT says no - body says "maybe"

Dull headache, feeling lethargic, stuffy nose, dry cough ... or it could simply be change of season, to much red wine, poor sleep ...

Last edited: 24th Apr, 2022
  7. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

You’re vaxed so if you do have it I hope these mild symptoms are as bad as it gets. Good luck!

8. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Triple vaxxed - went to Bunnings for some more vege seeds and flower plants - feel much better.

Yes, I did mask and distance

jaybean likes this.
  9. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

Has everyone stopped wearing masks now they're not mandatory? I started a poll to see who's still wearing or stopped wearing masks, but wasn't allowed to publish it

Looks like most people are over Covid now and have moved on to other news including Russia. I don't see anyone wearing masks in my area. Even at the GP it's not required anymore

10. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I have stopped wearing masks. I'd only wear them on public transport.

11. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

And yet ...
    Screenshot_2022-04-24-20-05-38-57_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

SatayKing likes this.
  12. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

I still carry mine around- only wear it if in a crowded space, otherwise it’s usually off.
    For work, I wear it all the time (I frequent hospitals, gp surgeries and other healthcare settings). I’m surprised you don’t require it at the GPs. In my experience, half of the healthcare professionals are still very covid conscious and still prefer telehealth.

13. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

I still wear them in shops and transport, and on the street sometimes. In Spain though, hard habit to drop after two years, only ended 5 days ago. If staff aren't wearing them i might not, but they usually are.

Not many countries as mask compliant as Spain. Tourists are back, they behave differently.

14. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Still a few wearing masks when I go too the shops -but most are unmasked ..
    I still wear one just in case as there seems to be so many people coughing when we go out..

15. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I still wear a mask at the supermarket, hairdressers, and wore one to the optometrist the other day too. I’m triple vaxxed.

The Y-man likes this.
  16. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Yes @geoffw. From 17 April to 24 April a total of 244 deaths and 212 in the seven days before that. 456 people died in two weeks but it now seems to be of no consequence to many - apart from their families of course.

17. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

Unless everybody is an anti-masker, it would appear that most people were wearing them purely for social conformity. Now that they're no longer required in Australia, I'm sensing most people have also stopped wearing them even though the science still says they can save millions of lives.

18. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

They are still required in WA. Though there are rumours that it might be for not much longer - not sure who is pushing that rumours- seems to be news/clickbait as a magic solution to get people back in the office/city. I am hoping the mask mandate will continue for quite a bit longer.
    I'll be travelling to QLD in a couple of weeks and probably will continue mask wearing there especially at the stadium sport events we will be attending.

19. skater

skater Well-Known Member

We're not currently wearing them when we go out, however we don't usually go anywhere there is a large congregation of people. We had a day out yesterday with friends to a restaurant in Balmain. Small restaurant & we were the only ones there. It was pretty pointless making up.