How do you find quality contractors

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by GeorgeStrathos, 3rd Jun, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. GeorgeStrathos

GeorgeStrathos Member

Hi everyone,

This is a question for mainly PMs, but also landlords.

How do you find quality contractors to follow up on your tenants maintainence requests?

It seems my PM can never find anyone reliable to do the agreed upon job at the agreed upon time.

So I’m wondering if others ever have the same issue, and how they get around it.

Thanks so much!

2. Lil Skater

Lil Skater Well-Known Member

For me it’s mostly word of mouth, in saying that though I have difficulty with some particular trades in general - worst offenders seem to be fencing contractors, even the recommended ones take forever to get quotes back and works completed!

I’ve also met a handful at events or even just needed a new company and have googled for reviews.

In all circumstances though I’ll normally start with small works or quotes to see what they’re like to work with, quality of job, time frame, cost etc. all going well I continue to give work.

I have some main trades that have been with me a number of years - but I do tend to need to cycle anyway as for whatever reason they can get less reliable as the years roll on. It’s always worth having at least a few to spread the load, and/or to assign more work to if your number 1 tradie goes MIA.

Your agent also needs to make sure they’re looking after their tradespeople - if they’re not good at paying, constantly ask for quotes but don’t give work, send ambiguous work orders, have a bad reputation etc. they may have more difficulty than others.

3. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

What area of Sydney are you in George?