How do you ensure the builder is using material as per tender?

Discussion in 'Development' started by Tenex, 8th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Tenex

Tenex Well-Known Member

This may only apply to custom build and tenders.

I am keen to know once a tender is negotiated, how do you ensure that the builder is using the material as per negotiated and not a cheaper version?

Obviously certain things you can just look at the brand (ie: appliances) but other things such as material, the range of windows and doors etc are harder to know (ie: a sliding door from commercial range of a certain brand vs a sliding door from their residential range).

Is it normal to ask for quotes / invoices from the builder as proof that they are using what has been negotiated? I have done this with one of my builders and they seem to not take it very well and say that this is their confidential information.

2. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Unless it was a negotiated and agreement point in your building contract, I can understand why any builder would not take kindly to being asked for proof.

Generally have a look when the items are delivered and what rubbish is around or arrange that you order and pay for the items yourself (remember though any delivery or items problems will be borne by you).

However, trust at some stage has to come into the relationship.

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Request copies of delivery dockets (not the invoices).

Put it in the contract.

4. Tenex

Tenex Well-Known Member

Good points above.

Is it usual to ask for delivery dockets?

5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

What you put in the contract is what is required to be provided.

You can also put down windows etc as a provisional sum and the builder will then need to show invoices.

Delivery dockets are probably the best option if you don't have provisional sums for the items you are concerned about.

Has something happened to decrease your trust in the builder?

Last edited: 9th Apr, 2016
  6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

If an item has been specified and substitutions not permitted then make it a condition of the contract that delivery dockets for those items are provided.

7. Tenex

Tenex Well-Known Member

In my case the contract has already been negotiated and the build started. For the next contract however I will definitely make it a point that they need to provide written evidence of purchases.

some items are specific without any mention of price (ie: commercial range from xyz brand), other items have provisional sum, (ie: to allow x amount for the kitchen).

There hasnt been anything specific to reduce my trust in the builder but it does come across that they will cut corners where they think they can (which is usual for most builders).

I requested to view quotes / invoices and I even suggested they can cover over the price and just show a certain item has been purchased but they say this is company confidential information something or other.

I cant add a condition to the contract now that we are building because they will simply refuse it (or otherwise we didnt even need to discuss it).

I do need to figure out a way to check things though just to make sure that we avoid being kept in the dark. I suspect they may reject providing delivery documents. I have heard though that when a bank is paying the construction loan, their inspector may request this information in order to approve the payment. Will have to check with my broker.

8. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

They should be building to AS... And as per design, the only thing in the contract or needs attention would be specific requests or some detailed design notes.

It may be worth looking into a certifier or inspector of some kind to monitor on your behalf.
    But if you have a builder that you are worried will try and do the dodge, don't sign with them.if you have them now, seek specific advice.

You can put anything you like in the contract, like chippys to wear pink nailbags on site... But they'll price it accordingly

Sackie likes this.
  9. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Hasn't been the case with my build so far mate. As far as I know they just drove by on the slab down stage, frame stage just needed the verbal OK from me and will send someone on the Practical Completion stage.

Do you have the slab down yet @Tenex ?

10. Tenex

Tenex Well-Known Member

I think its different from bank to bank. Are you using a construction loan to pay them? which bank are you using?

Did you end up doing any engineering / building inspections at different stages?

The slab will hopefully be in by next week or early the week after. After the demo they have started being really quick.

11. Tenex

Tenex Well-Known Member

I am using their PCA to avoid issues and delays but I will be doing my own building inspections which is in the contract. PCA usually doesnt care much what material is used or whether it is according to tender. They are more concerned with BCA.

All I am trying to do is to ensure material and finishes are as per negotiated. Some will be very obvious, others not so much. As you can see above I have requested to see invoice / quote and they have said no. I dont think any specific advise is going to help the situation per say. You just have to figure it out yourself somehow.

12. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Tenex, post: 194899, member: 2640"]I think its different from bank to bank. Are you using a construction loan to pay them? which bank are you using?

Yes mate a construction loan. NAB.

Did you end up doing any engineering / building inspections at different stages?

Building inspector at slab down, will have one on PC stage too to find any flaws to be fixed.

The slab will hopefully be in by next week or early the week after. After the demo they have started being really quick.

Awesome. Good stuff mate. :) How many weeks contract?

13. Tenex

Tenex Well-Known Member

Nice work, I am doing engineering inspections as well as building inspections at different intervals because I will be living there. They tend to have a mind of their own so I have to ensure all is done properly.

Contract is for 36 weeks but they tend to be working on it now so we will see how it goes. I checked your topic, it seems you will be ready to go by around June am I right?

Lemme know if you needed any analysis on the agents in the area.

14. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Hopefully mate. My biggest worry is how long it will take to get all the documents signed off and then sent to LPI to approve the subdivision.

Thanks for offering agents recommendations in the area mate. I will give you a call closer to the time to have a chat.

Do you have a front façade picture of yours?

15. Tenex

Tenex Well-Known Member

Allow for 2 to 3 months for subdivision process.

Yes, I have a facade picture, not sure if we will exactly aim for it but I have posted it on the decorating forum to see if I can get an idea of colors. I am a typical male and not very good with decorating so I am relying on my wife and other people for ideas.

Colors on a modern facade

Feel free to contribute :)

Sackie likes this.
  16. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

hehe typical male here too mate when it comes to colors etc.

I like your front façade design and also the skillion roof. I think what you have is fine mate. Looks good.

For me, I do prefer a little more contrast from the grey colours. I would want to try and use some feature tiles or cladding to mix up the 'dividing column' that you have and also some 'wow' factor on the façade.

upload_2016-4-11_11-21-12.png

To something like this perhaps:

11.PNG

Some external cladding ideas:

Stone Wall Cladding Sydney - Exterior & Interior | Sareen Stone

But at the end of the day I think its just a personal preference that's all, and what you have looks nice. Like the design too.

17. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

@Tenex are you also doing landscaping/driveway separate from the builder mate?

Thanks