How do I locate underground pipes?

Discussion in 'Development' started by albanga, 23rd Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

As the subject says how do I go about locating any pipes running underground through to my easement (drainage and sewerage).
    Slightly complicated but developing at the rear of my property and I just want to ensure any existing pipes are running along the boundary as opposed to directly under the new dwelling.
    I imagine something would have had to been lodged with some authority when they were originally laid?
    Dial before you dig only lists the assets of the drainage and water which I already know.

2. 380

380 Well-Known Member

@albanga

as you mentioned, dial before you dig

and

possibly sewerage diagram!

3. albanga

Hey Developer,
    The dial before you dig as far as I cpipdxtell only showed me the main lines for drainage and sewerage which run in the easement. They do not show the pipes running from the dwelling into the easement though.

The sewerage diagram you mentioned, who would have this? The water company?

4. Jeffb

Jeffb Well-Known Member

Depending on your water company, some have an online asset map. In Melbourne if you are in the SEW area or YVW area it can be accessed online.

5. HD_ACE

HD_ACE Game-Changer

You'll wan't the as-con drawings. Should be lodged with your council or service provider.

6. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

Or if older and not lodged you get a services location company, they come out with their little machine and can of paint and will mark everything, draw a plan too if you want.

www.scantekgroup.com.au/

7. 380

380 Well-Known Member

8. albanga

Thanks all.
    City West Water are the supplier of sewerage and I just found the application through a 3rd party (Casey Plumbing Compliance). It is only $27.70 so all good.

Now to try and get storm water which I think will be impossible. Our council amalgamated about 15 years ago and I have been told that a lot of records went missing in this time.

9. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

What storm water? Small downpipe drainage or something substantial?

10. albanga

Hey Bob,
    Just small downpipe drainage.

11. bob shovel

Guess work! Where the pipe goes into the ground it goes somewhere inside your property to the street!
    usually the shortest route but you never know.
    how many down pipes and where, there may be 2 on each side if house then tee in middle of prop then go to outlet.

Is it a gutter outlet?

12. bob shovel

Look for all the downpipes going under ground.
    And also where the outlet or storm water pit is.
    It's then connect dots! And look for signs of where it goes, eg around trees

storm water is the least loved service so it's slapped in where ever it suits at the time, new builds should be reported to pipe welfare groups!
    You can get a plumber and camera to check it out, but still may not get while story depending lengths

Last edited: 23rd Jul, 2015
  13. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Just have someone come out a put a camera down the entry points,you have to be very carefull with this because even with all the plans new or old are not always in the place they seem,i had a phone call from a tenant a few weekend ago where as the people behind want to build a pool right next too the back fence,and wanted to run the camera through the inspection points on our property problem is the previous title holder put a driveway over that area,and they thought they could just trespass on the property fire up the compressor and dig the driveway up,lucky I got there in time, because the reason they were on the property is because many years ago before the new title holders moved in the covered the main man hole with 500 mill of fill on the place they intend to build the pool,some people are good talkers till you tell them you have 5 minutes to pack all your gear up and ####off before you learn about the simple law of trespass..

14. bob shovel

They were going to dig up a driveway to look for man hole!? That's keen, normally just find the next one or something to avoid any digging!

15. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

That's the problem when new people buy into inner city old areas,i had a talk to them gave them my personal number if they have any more problems,and told them about the covered up one metre inspection manhole, and told them up front all the lines in this section come into your yard and the manhole is right in that section,and if the lines back up as they have done prior,the urban utilities in Brisbane will come on your property to clean all the pipes out where ever it is blocked,and all the fences gates will be a real problem and very costly if they have to bring any small large machinery down the side of your property and as manholes only work when they have good ventilation then it's only a matter of time..

16. Geelong Cable Locations

Geelong Cable Locations Member

Hi @albanga if it is just down pipes then I wouldn't be too concerned, you can easily replace the pipe going from them to the drain.

You can pay professional locators like myself to come out and tell you exactly where they are, but for the time and effort and cost involved then most of the time its not worth the hassle. If you had to locate other services onsite then while the locator was there you would ask them to locate the stormwater from the downpipes as well, but if are happy you know where everything else is then just allow a bit extra in your budget to replace them when they get damaged during your development.

Regards
    Ben

17. bob shovel

Gday @Geelong Cable Locations

How do you find residential storm water - 90/100mm pvc? Do you use push rods and a receiver/sender for a signal to the wand?

18. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

19. bob shovel

Depending what info your after you could be just paying them for a free dial before you dig search.
    If you need titles and lot specifics it would be useful

Sackie likes this.
  20. Geelong Cable Locations

Geelong Cable Locations Member

Yeah spot in Bob.
    The big issue we have though is actually getting access to the pipe to put the push rod in. If the plumber has done a good job then the pipe will all sealed so trying to find somewhere to get the push rod in is a pain.

We do use ground penetrating radar as well and sometimes that works fine, but you need to have good clear access, and a lot of the times there will be gardens next to the building so you can't get in with the GPR.