How do I find stocks to speculate on?

Discussion in 'Sharemarket News & Market Analysis' started by Frank Manno, 15th Feb, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

Frank as an example ALU yields about 1%, today alone , I made 200% on first tranche 5 years , I sold down 30% in august after report when prices hit about $29.00 as I was getting vey overweight, bought back another small tranche at about $20 a few months ago as with the price drop my weighting dropped relative to lower conviction stocks. To-day I was up 30% on the ones I bought 3 months ago. So was overweight again so sold the small tranche again this morning at $33,00 on the irrational exhuberance of the report released yesterday but still had a 30% higher holding than I had before I bought the last tranche. It is important to specify which tranche you are selling for tax purposes other wise the first bought ones will be used to calculate tax meaning tax would be paid on $31 instead of $13. I also had 3% gains to-day with WTC and APX. With some of the profits I bought ELO a little risky but has good growth prospects and it was down a little to-day. I suspect there maybe a run up in price on that on speculation of a good report in 2 weeks. If there is no run on price before the report, it might have one after if the report is good. If you buy dividend shares usually the price drops by the amount of the dividend and you have gained nothing and got tax to pay on top. Often for higher paying dividend stocks the dividend is high because of negative growth.

Gypsyblood likes this.
  2. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

another good day ELO up 10%, APX up 18%, APT up 19.3% NEA up 6% APX has given me 150% return just to-day on my original purchase price..

Gypsyblood likes this.
  3. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I ended up selling APT today. I don't know why it jumped 19% but I was happy to take the profit. I decided the idea of the business its in isn't something I want to invest in long term.
    Edit: The reason for the jump is that APT won't be subject to the national credit code, which is good for their business.

Last edited: 26th Feb, 2019
    Gypsyblood, Alex Straker and willair like this.
  4. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

i hold same as u apart from NEA and APT.

APT im at 120%.

i also hold a2m.. 600% todate.

Gypsyblood likes this.
  5. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

It jumped in anticipation of a good report but it overshoot a little, the report was good, rapid scaling in the USA even faster up take than Australia, about to launch into the UK. possible new products including savings accounts,. Critics silenced with a reduction in late fees. It could be a good idea to take some profits, I expect their may be opportunities to get back in, it may have a bumpy road, this could go anywhere but the potential is high. I haven't taken any profit on this one yet but I don't have a high weighting yet.

6. Zenith Chaos

Zenith Chaos Well-Known Member

When you say speculate do you have a specific return in mind and an associated risk tolerance? Are you looking for some research that highlights value - e.g. P/E, beta, alpha, competitive advantage, moat to competitor entry? A hunch on upcoming news - e.g. franking credit changes may decrease price in LICs? Insider trading tip - e.g. I overheard two investment bankers at a bar who mentioned their boss's cousins friend said CBA has a good yield at the moment wink wink? Blue-chip companies that are less likely to fail based on critical mass? Otherwise you can use a dartboard to select stocks.

This is only a thought experiment to help you to understand what you seek, which should help you find it.

Gypsyblood, sharon, willair and 3 others like this.
  7. Islay

Islay Well-Known Member

It is an interesting fact that according to stock market folklore blue chip companies were so called after the blue chips (highest value) of poker games.

Zenith Chaos and willair like this.
  8. Frank Manno

Frank Manno Well-Known Member

I was just looking for 'tips'. Just stocks I could research and decide if I want to buy. Main purpose would be to not hold for a long time.. Maybe 1 year at the very most,. Buy cheap and sell for a profit. Just for something to do.. Not for large amounts of money either.

Fargo has provided a bunch of stocks that I can look into..

I suppose I could read HotCopper and this forum and see what others are speculating on.. I liked the 'Whats looking good on the ASX' thread.

But other than all this, I was just after ways to find stocks myself.

-Frank

9. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

10. Silverson

Silverson Well-Known Member

Some of the returns some posters are getting make Warren Buffet look like me.
    Either we have the smartest investing minds in the world on this forum or I along with the other 92%(I think that's the quoted amount) of professional money managers and investors that fail to beat the market need to stop and read more of pc forum

Greedo and Big A like this.
  11. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

Yes I find that very strange as well. Majority of funds managers with teams of very smart people can’t seem to pick a bunch of stocks that outperform the market. But online there seems to always be plenty of individuals that can single handily pick the winners.

Got me stumped. I’m going to try a new stock picking method. Get a dart board and stick a bunch of stock names up on the board. Then I will throw darts and which ever stock the darts land on I will buy. That will probably be the best chance I will have of outperforming the market by picking individual stocks. :D

Silverson and Froxy like this.
  12. SatayKing

Back off. I've already patented that method. Royalties please.

BPay 007 007
    CRN: 10987654321

Greedo, Big A and Froxy like this.
  13. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

I will send half of all my wins using this method your way. :D

Since you have claimed ownership of this strategy, if it fails do I get to share my loss with u? :rolleyes:

Nodrog likes this.
  14. Leeroy93

Leeroy93 Well-Known Member

Few people are up-front about their losses. There are some great traders out there, however most claiming to have an edge can often justify it in their own mind regardless of whether they got lucky. I still invest in speculative penny stocks and growth orientated investments to keep the mind sharp and have a generally high risk tolerance. If I keep doing it consistently on average Ill learn alot about how these stocks track and should end up with a few bolters I can brag about at parties ;) The key for me is to ensure I have things in place that make it hard for me to lose discipline in long run (ie a balanced, diversified portfolio + 10% allocation to high conviction risky plays).

wombat777 likes this.
  15. Silverson

Silverson Well-Known Member

You gotta lift your game mate

Big A likes this.
  16. SatayKing

No need for that my friend. Merely keep on paying me the royalties. Then I continue to win whether or not you do.

Big A likes this.
  17. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

I go to www.hotcopper.com.au and look for the active threads to find something to punt on

Price Accounting provide investor + developer tax services world and Australia wide for your property and all tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI below for our new client pack and quoted pricing + client portal access. Trusts, Co and SMSF are our specialty.