Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

FAQ How can I stop content from being auto-linked?

How to stop a URL or email address from being auto-linked in post or signature content

1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Simon Hampel submitted a new resource:

How can I stop a link from being auto-linked? - How can I stop a link from being auto-linked?

Read more about this resource...

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I also understand that you can "hack" a autolink to multiply the outcome. BUT if you try to fake it you get smashed by the algo if it thinks you are a fake.

eg a URL that is relevant to a thread can be botted by google / youtube etc and then it is discounted and multiple counts increase outcomes. Google do this to ensure their own threads dont get eliminated. The algos are extremely complex and rely on issue like conversational use and also third parties who quote you in well "regarded" threads that algos mark up. PChas a awesome strngth for property, tax and finance (some)

I have a google adviser (Ex Google / Microsoft) who reckons PC marks threads up based on user referred algo strength but Invested at the same time for similar comments marks it way down. So a single comment or opinion is good but said twice i tw places the same way is real bad. We arent sure why but think its a self promotion algo thing. I no longer go near such sites and data seem to confirm it. My analytics seem good but its a bit voodoo and hard to prove. I'm close to a second stream to multiply algo strength and testing shows it seems to work using a second data mechanism eg YouTube. Think Google dont want to harm themself :)

Last edited: 14th Mar, 2017
  3. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Not exactly sure what you mean by "hack a autolink"?

You mean keyword stuffing? Such as filling the link text with keywords to try and game the algorithm into giving more weight to a link?

The "autolink" mechanism the forum software uses simply queries the destination page and grabs the page title and uses that as the link text. You can use your own link text (just like any web page can) and I think it's perfectly reasonable to do so - but obviously you can abuse that too.

FWIW, links posted on the forums (including in signature blocks) should all be "nofollow" so shouldn't really affect Google rankings anyway. Previous software didn't do this though - so Somersoft prior to upgrading the software and InvestEd prior to the rebrand to InvestChat didn't automatically nofollow links, which was a problem.