How can I make sure my tenants don't do Air BnB?

Discussion in 'Airbnb & Short Term Letting' started by The Gambler, 16th Feb, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. The Gambler

The Gambler Well-Known Member

FYI: I have a couple of IPs on the Goldie.
    One in an absolutely prime position the other in a solid position. Not really concerned about the latter, but starting to become concerned about the former with the Comm Games next year.

I'm guess I should first contact my BCs and PM and see what the situation is and if it's allowed in my two complexes. I'm hoping it's not and that will be that for now.

I'm pretty sure the contracts my tenants' signed state they aren't allowed to rent it out, but how would you stop it? They could just say it's their mate from overseas staying. And it's impossible to see if you're place is up on Air BnB it seems???

I'm also thinking basic LL insurance doesn't cover any Air BnB visitors???

Does anybody have any tips on how I can check if my place is up on Air BnB before I contact my PM and BCs?

Thanks.

2. dmb1978

dmb1978 Well-Known Member

Hi there, not sure you can really stop tenants doing anything, only deal with the fall out if anything happens. We have a tenant that airbnb's a self contained flat in our property.

We managed to get insurance from Terri Scheer who were of the opinion because there was a lease in place with the main tenant if they airbnb any part they will responsible the same as if it is a normal visiting guest. Any damage etc will be the responsibilty of the main tenant.

As far as checking, check the airbnbs on the web. It's actually fun reading peoples comments about your place and seeing pictures.

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Why do you say you can't see your place on Air BnB? When we booked New York and Paris, we had photos of the inside of the apartments.

In New York between booking and arriving, the owner told us New York was cracking down on Air BnB and anyone who asked us about it needed to be told we were relatives of his partner. That included other owners, other guests we might meet in the hallway and the nail salon on the first level who saw us arrive and leave daily.

We went knowing it could transpire that when we landed in New York (six weeks after leaving Australia) we might quickly need to find alternative accommodation, but it all worked out well.

4. wylie

After posting, I read @dmb1978's post. Maybe Terri Scheer is the insurer you need.

The Gambler likes this.
  5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Have lots of random maintenance tasks arranged. Looks like 1 bathroom is going to be out of order for the duration of the games ;)

The Gambler likes this.
  6. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

You can search Airbnb by location on maps.
    Keep an eye on the addresses of your IPs if you are concerned.
    Marg

The Gambler likes this.
  7. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

As far as I can see, Airbnb ads show a neighbourhood and not a specific address.

8. wylie

We didn't get the address until we negotiated the stay, and had committed.

But if you search the neighbourhood generally, you'll see your own place in the photos.

The Gambler likes this.
  9. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Searching by the map, I found you could enlarge the map to get a very good idea of the immediate vicinity. Certainly not the actual address.
    Marg

The Gambler and wylie like this.
  10. The Gambler

Thanks for the replies. I am with Terri Sheer, so I will have to look into that.

I'm against Airbnb for residential areas or apartment complexes because I've seen what it has done to my friend's apartment complex. The residents hate it.

Marg, thanks for the tip re using the map. I didn't realise that and just checked it out. That makes it a million times quicker and easier.

11. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

What's it done to your friend's apartment complex and why do the residents hate it?

12. The Gambler

Nambis said: "What's it done to your friend's apartment complex and why do the residents hate it?"

Here are some of his complaints that I remember we talked about just a few weeks ago.

- More unknown people coming in and out of the secure building
    - Bicycles have gone missing
    - Loud noises after 10pm on weeknights
    - Trash not recycled properly or just thrown anywhere and put out on the incorrect days
    - Smoking on balconies even though it's against apartment regulations

A Residential Apartment Complex is not a Hotel. If you pay in good faith to live in a residential complex, you should not be subjected to living with hotel-like guests.

EDIT: I somehow stuffed up the quote function...

13. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I owned in a normal complex (normal tenants on normal leases) in suburban Sydney (most residents not born in Australia) and this happened all the time!

Recyclables were always thrown in the recycling bin in plastic bags. No one seemed to know or care... :(

14. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

I'd let your PM know of your concern - hopefully they'll be extra diligent due to it.

Every Air BnB place I've booked has contained pics - so you might be able to identify your places online if they were being rented out via air bnb.

Cheers

Jamie

15. Scott No Mates

It can be difficult as many apartments in the same building have the same floor plan.

16. geoffw

A bright purple wall or a pink spotted carpet would ensure that your apartment stood out in photos.

17. Gockie

Would have to go with the wall then, as most properties don't get leased furnished...

18. geoffw

Is carpet regarded as furnishing?

I guess you wouldn't want carpet in the Goldie. It's essential in Canberra.

19. Gockie

Ahhh... I thought rug. (Wooden floors or vinyl planks are best!) :)
    A pink spotted carpet would turn everybody off.

20. Scott No Mates

@geoffw -
    I didn't know that you sported a rug.