Education & Work How brave are you?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Bayview, 14th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Jobs can be rewarding and enjoyable one week and full of gossips and bullies the next. There are times when I've stuck around when the going got tough and then come out the other side smiling. And times when I've had to move on to greener pastures ... but never an easy decision. Job security is something I haven't had a lot to do with. Not a lot of security with my line of work.
    The last move was 4 years ago and I trusted my gut. When I thought about staying, I felt terrible. When I thought about moving, I felt scared and excited. Often think about moving on again lately but not quite yet.
    Having neutral cashflow at last gives a large degree of freedom.

2. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

@Simon has joined but hasn't posted yet.

3. aussieshorter

aussieshorter Well-Known Member

Understand your point. Let me rephrase my question.

What if you have a well paying job, reasonably secure, and neither hate nor love your job? Do you stay there because of the money/comfort? I'd consider leaving a job like this to be brave, to risk something that is isn't bad, in the pursuit of something better.

Leaving a job you hate (or at least doing something to change it) is just common sense to me. There will always be risks and reasons not to leave, but as a general rule I don't understand why anyone would stay in a job they hate. There are always other options.

Last edited: 14th Jul, 2015
  4. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

i dont know if i would consider staying in a job youre indifferent to to be brave, surely that's the status quo?

having said that the workforce is increasingly mobile and willing to try things

5. aussieshorter

aussieshorter Well-Known Member

Whoops, that's what I meant. Leaving a job like that would brave, not staying put.

I've edited my post for clarity.

6. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I have done it. I was working in IT in Midland and moved to a completely different field working for a local government in Stirling as a project manager. Left that job a year later to work in Pinjarra for a year. Loved it! Best thing I ever did. Only issue was travelling 2 hours a day. I ended up quitting the Pinjarra job because of that.

7. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

I made a career change from teaching to running my own business over a decade ago now. It wasn't because I disliked teaching so much, however I was restless to get out of the classroom (and off the school P&F as parent president :D) and run my own show with my "property hobby" which evolved into House Search. It was certainly brave at the time however I did have the backup of my family and my husband's income as well- I don't think the importance of this can be underestimated. I was fortunate to be in this position however I certainly admire those who go into serious debt or use their life's savings for a new business venture. The first few years can be really tough, and you've still got to be able to live, pay mortgages/rent, feed and school the kids etc. Running a business is also almost always more expensive than your business plan (and accounting software) allows for.... lesson learned early on :D

I'm happier and more settled now in my 40's than I ever have been. Starting my business has been not only one of the better (though riskier) decisions I've made career-wise but very fulfilling, ever interesting (though certainly not unchallenging :eek:) and diverse. I don't want to retire wondering "what if"....

Jess Peletier, skater and geoffw like this.
  8. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

I am braver than I was, and less brave than I will be.

9. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Fantastic ... as hard as it can be ... sometimes it's best to take a step backwards to go forward to bigger and better things ... things happen as they are meant to for a reason - although that reason may not be clear at the time

10. radson

radson Well-Known Member

Ive long ago accepted that I wont find any great satisfaction in paid work.. but I reconcile that fact with only working half the year as a FIFO worker.

11. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

I last went for an outside job interview in around 2000. Was offered the job but decided to stay put - largely due to the travel time that would have been required to get to/from work. Since then I have had a few changes in role and increasing responsibility. There is enough variation in the project work and sideline work to keep me interested.

12. Tillie

Tillie Well-Known Member

Have done it 3 times now. :) The first time was probably riskiest, I left my career, family and friends and moved to other side of the World. The second time 3 years later I took a package from IT company and 6 months later I found myself as a manager running retail back office team.

There I stayed 10 years in different roles,when I finally had enough and resigned without having any plans or even idea what next. 6 months later I landed my current job and so far so good. Knowing myself I'll be bored after 2-3 years and then I might retire. :) But I was planning to retire when I left the previous place and just could not do it (yet)

13. mrdobalina

mrdobalina Well-Known Member

I used to love my work. The variety, the challenge, working on interesting projects, travelling to different countries, working with extremely smart people. Eventually dealing with difficult clients just wore me down. Also the fact I barely saw my family for a few years whilst working overseas, including my new born number 2.

Now I'm content to just focus on property. Spend time with the family. And the thought of putting on a suit and tie and working in a cbd high rise makes me nauseous.

WattleIdo and MTR like this.
  14. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Curious what did you do in your other life?

15. mrdobalina

Consultant.

Last edited: 15th Jul, 2015
  16. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I know how hard it is to do, but you will feel an amazing sense of relief once this is done. Well....I did, all those years ago. Onward & upward, I say.

17. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Ive never really considered myself as being 'brave' though I have moved around a lot.
    I left my city home when I was 16 and moved 2.5hours to the country. Even to this day I cant really explain the decision - I just didn't like the city.
    I moved towns 4times in about 10years - following either work or study and gradually getting closer to the coast.

I then decided it was time for a challenge so looked for work overseas - with my only criteria being I didn't want it to be an 'easy' place. Basically ruling out UK, EU and America (ok - I probably would have considered some of the European countries). And all I knew is that I wouldn't be back for at least 2years.

I settled on Kazakhstan. Ive been here 6years. Ive looked to move again a couple of times but the timing has never worked. I will most likely be here for about 3more years, though I may move the family elsewhere in the near future.

Sounds strange but to me the lifestyle offered exceeds what is on offer in 'Western' Countries - even though the location itself has challenges.

I guess ultimately I have learned to like change. It doesn't scare me, and I actually enjoy and thrive on it.

Blacky

bob shovel likes this.
  18. Mombius Hibachi

Mombius Hibachi Well-Known Member

I moved from Melbourne to Brisbane, not knowing a single person up there, for work.

Best decision I ever made. Wouldn't be where I am today if I hadn't.

For those that have their own businesses, would you consider going back to being a wage slave? The thought of doing so makes me shudder. If the current one doesn't work out, I'll just start another one.

mrdobalina and OC1 like this.
  19. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Cant wait till the day I can pack my stuff and just go home, like my friend did. Honestly, some people in the workplace seem to concentrate more on the politics than the work itself. I even eat lunch at my desk and someone had the nerve to claim I am rarely at my desk.

20. mrdobalina

The thought just made me dry retched.