How are the regionals doing?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by TMNT, 22nd Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Cousinit

Cousinit Well-Known Member

Ten years ago Warrnambool was looking like a great place for investment . Not so much now IMO . Builder friend says there are too many tradesmen and not enough work . More beneficiaries etc .

I don't see that changing .

2. jimmy

jimmy Well-Known Member

I have noticed Traralgon housing is really starting to move now with people moving down and cashing in from Melbourne, the peninsula and even other parts of Gippsland as it’s extremely affordable here at the moment.

The economy seems to be picking up and plenty of projects starting giving the town a lot more ammenities ($50m aquatic centre, 750 seat theatre, bowling alley and cinema with a sports bar, etc).

It’s a great place to raise kids, good ammenities, a great community and also helps that it’s not far from the city, the Bush, the beach and the snow.

I do think the ripple effect will come down here (seems to be happening atm) but can only go so far if the economy doesn’t keep creating jobs and well paid ones at that.

Just some observations from a local amateur!

UNITS4ME and MikeyBallarat like this.
  3. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
  4. Truly Exotic

Truly Exotic Well-Known Member

Have sold out of my one recently

Decided despite holding it for half a cycle with less than 10% growth. I'd get rid of mine

5. Dienst

Dienst Member

Hey guys, any thoughts on Albury and Wodonga? I'm tempted to buy on the Wodonga side if only because it's relatively cheap and is growing at a steady rate (though not as fast as Whitlam had hoped!).

6. yorkie

yorkie Well-Known Member

Hi dienst,
    Ok if you buy older established properties as there is still plenty of land to be developed so will cap your newer house stock.
    Just left the region and have been there for the last 6 yrs.
    Some of the old commission or ex army ones are a good buy in price. Just be careful with termites.
    Good luck

Dienst likes this.
  7. Nisha Singh

Nisha Singh Member

Hi all, i am looking to invest in a house and land package in Armstrong Creek, Achoridge estate,4 bedroom, approx 364m2 block and the turn key package is 437k,land titles next Sept. I would most probably sell the house in 2 to 3 years time.Can I please get some advise and if i am investing in the correct suburb..Thanks.

8. Dienst

Dienst Member

Great. The area near the hospital seems slightly low seifa (not as low as Birrallee) but has solid looking dwellings for reasonable prices. As I'm just starting out, good yield is what I'm seeking.

9. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Well-Known Member

Yep, good spot. I have one in Warralilly Estate and have done well from it.

10. hieund85

hieund85 Well-Known Member

I believe a H&L turnkey package in that estate is from $467k for 4x2x2 19sq home now. So if you can get it for $437k, it is pretty good price. @sash is the expert to ask.

11. Property person

Property person Well-Known Member

If you want to buy in Regionals, buy development blocks. They are more affordable for the average punter, and if the market moves in that area you make more bang for your buck.

12. strongy1986

strongy1986 Well-Known Member

So because you have done well does that make it a good investment for someone to buy in at today's price?

What was your entry price?

Dienst likes this.
  13. Beelzebub

- Land supply is still not keeping up with demand
    - Fundamentals of Geelong itself are still strong
    - Plenty of infrastructure still to go in: No Cookies | Geelong Advertiser

Paid link; text below:

A RE-ELECTED Labor State Government will splash $147 million on duplicating part of Geelong’s rail line, removing level crossings and planning a rail link to Armstrong Creek.

Premier Daniel Andrews is set to make an election commitment to partner with the Federal Government on duplicating 11km of Geelong rail between South Geelong and Waurn Ponds stations.

The funding will account for 20 per cent of the project’s expected $736 million price tag, with the Federal Government expected to provide the remainder.

“Geelong is growing and more people than ever are catching the train,” Mr Andrews said.

“We said we’d do the groundwork for the entire Geelong line to be duplicated to fix this and we have — but there’s more to do.

“Only Labor will finish the job and deliver the massive upgrade the Geelong line needs, giving locals more train services, with boom gates gone for good.”

The funded project will remove level crossings at Fyans St and on the Surf Coast Highway, upgrade South Geelong and Marshall stations and develop a business case to fix a 400m South Geelong tunnel bottleneck.

The State Government also committed to launching planning for the next stage of work on a rail link between Marshall and Geelong’s major growth area of Armstrong Creek.

Completion of the duplication project is expected to allow for trains to run between Waurn Ponds and Melbourne every 10 minutes at peak times, delivering up to 255 extra services from Waurn Ponds, 235 services from Marshall and 45 services from South Geelong each week.

The State Government said works on the funded project would start in 2020 and be completed by 2023, creating about 1300 jobs in that time.

The commitment will be on top of $150 million in Federal Government funding and $10 million of State Government funding announced for the project — most of which was used for stage one.

It is understood $110 million has been allocated to stage one, used for preparatory works and to help secure a future transport corridor to Torquay.

Dave3214 and Toon like this.
  14. Dienst

Dienst Member

All true. Similar upgrades planned for Ballarat. But so too for the La Trobe Valley! And would that be a worthwhile investment? I doubt it.

15. Beelzebub

Nope, wouldn't touch the Latrobe Valley. Fundamentals are not the same. LaTrobe Valley is on the decline, Ballarat and Geelong are experiencing strong economic growth and population growth etc.

Toon likes this.
  16. euro73

Last edited: 22nd Aug, 2018
    Toon likes this.
  17. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

My mother in law is looking to take a sea change and move to Indented Heads to be closer to family. Not an investment for myself but just throwing it out there to see if anyone knew anything about the property market out that way.
    Seems to be a lot of construction going on with new lots popping up everywhere around the place. The housing being newer is much nicer than the eyesores down at PortArlington

18. euro73

19. Beelzebub

Portarlington would be a better bet. There's nothing in Indented Head except for a general store. Portarlington on the other hand has been going well with a Safeway opening and a new petrol station (the town was without one for nearly a decade). I have also noticed lots of small scale developments have started over the past three years and the estate, which had a slow start, suddenly took off and I believe is now sold out. The place seems undervalued to me. If you have a look at the value of properties up on the hill with $million views. There's also the Drysdale Bypass that is about to go ahead which will have a significant impact on travel times to Geelong and Ocean Grove.

In short, if the budget allows for Portarlington, go Portarlington. St Leonards would also be better than Indented Head. Not that Indented Head is necessarily a bad idea, but I'd say it would be the least successful of all the towns on the Ballarine over the next decade.

albanga likes this.
  20. euro73