How are the regionals doing?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by TMNT, 22nd Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

2. Cmelderis

Cmelderis Well-Known Member

Toon likes this.
  3. Brisbane04

Brisbane04 Well-Known Member

Just my 2 cents. Vacancy rate in Bendigo is very low you will have no problem renting an investment property here. I believe it’s a combination of a number of factors. Population growth, APRAS squeeze on investors has driven a lot of investors out of the market either by making it much to difficult to get finances or by banks increasing their interest rates to investors or getting rid of IO loans. This has led to I believe a reduction in rental properties in Bendigo.

Toon and Xiao Hui like this.
  4. Xiao Hui

Xiao Hui Well-Known Member

Compared to 2 years ago, Bendigo's housing stock has certainly reduced substantially. It's very easy to rent out an investment property now - a real plus for any property investor.

Bendigo looks likely to do well in the near future and deservingly so as it has suffered stagnation in house prices for years.

To those who have missed out buying in Geelong and is feeling harder to buy in Ballarat, Bendigo offer the next best alternative. I feel the next 6 months will be the last opportunity to buy before price starts to really shoot up.

Last edited: 12th Jul, 2018
    Toon likes this.
  5. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    As readers would know I'm a big fan of regionals...especially large NSW regionals such as Orange and Bathurst and Dubbo.

Good sized blocks with low land costs so you can hold multiple properties and stay well under the NSW land tax threshold of 629K
    Granny flats allowed under NSWAHSEPP. No council approval required. Private Certifier only.
    Prices are up @10% in the last 12 months
    Rents are up @ 8% in the last 12 months
    Just great going, all around.

So whats happening?
    Besides the fact larger regionals are defying the trends of net migration losses that hurt smaller regionals , and have been seeing net increase to population for the best part of the last 5,6,7 years, I believe there is a clear trend forming around affordability and lifestyle . Young families priced out of big cities are looking elsewhere and the first generation of wealthy retirees cashing out of the bigger cities are looking to move elsewhere.

The main beneficiaries are coastal of course. Port macquarie, Coffs Harbour, South Coast, Gold Coast, Noosa, etc etc etc....there are certainly more sea changers than tree changers, but the trend is still material enough to drive stable growth and rental growth in the larger inland regionals

For example - I know that they have been building over 200 new homes in Orange each year for the past 2-3 years, yet rents are climbing and rental vacancies are falling. So it's clearly not investors buying there - its young families and tree changers. During that period Orange has seen population growth averaging @ 1% per annum. Doesnt sound like much but thats the same as 50,000 new residents in Sydney or Melbourne ...

and I suspect as traffic congestion gets worse and worse in our big cities, more treechangers will make the move.

Same trends will be whats driving Bendigo.

if only the Govt allowed granny flats in VIC :)

Now...if they ever get high speed rail going - watch what happens to Goulburn, Wagga, Shepparton etc...

albanga, DW13, C-mac and 2 others like this.
  6. regionalpropertynsw.com

regionalpropertynsw.com Member

I'm also invested in Orange, Bathurst and Central West NSW. We are seeing some pretty low vacancy rates, significant capital growth, and as euro73 stated, a significant growth in population.
    How long do people think this growth can be sustained?

The next big thing?

7. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Parkes is doing well. It's sitting there between Orange and Dubbo but is doing well in its own right, having the inland rail work going on atm. As it's the hub of the action, I predict :rolleyes: that it will continue to have modest but on-going growth for a while. Low vacancy and healthy rents are back.

ellejay likes this.
  8. JamesP

JamesP Well-Known Member

Warragul and Drouin have moved semi in-line with Melbourne. But Traralgon, Moe, Morwell, Neerim etc haven't moved in a decade. Circa 230k for an established brick home on 800sqm block. If anything they were 250-260k a couple years ago.

9. strongy1986

strongy1986 Well-Known Member

moe and Morwell are too far from melbourne to get the proce boost and theres mo money coming from outside of the towns. Yields arnt that spectacular either so I'm not thinking much growth coming either
    a lot of people from drouin and warragul work on the outskirts of Melbourne
    Interestingly Moe bu the sea - Wonthaggi has been doing well the past 12 months which may have something to do with all the surrounding areas (all popular weekend spots) being quite expensive now.

Inverloch, Island, Kilcunda, Dalyston, Criminella etc

I wouldn't give up on Traralgon though it has potential

10. euro73

Toon likes this.
  11. euro73

12. Coastal

Coastal Well-Known Member

Surely there would be some sort of ripple form Melbourne if going by history. I know the area is Shh.. hole but prices have stabilised. When that plant shut down there were 3 bedders in morwell, the crap part of town $100 to 110 k now that are $120k plus

13. strongy1986

it's fine to say there is a ripple but there still needs to be a reason for someone to buy
    coastal towns - cashed up city dwellers buying weekenders and retirees
    largish regional centers- young people moving there as priced out of city suburbs
    welfare towns - ? ? , only thing I can think is investors buying for rental yield. Once the rental yield gets too low where it is deemed not worth investing then prices wont go up any further
    morwell and moe yield is both around 7% so at what point do investors stop investing in such a location.
    For myself it would be 10% but I think 6% for most is ok.
    so I'm thinking it's got 10-15% growth in it based on current supply and demand factors

I could be wrong but unless these towns suddenly become desirable alternatives to younger people then I don't see much action

14. strongy1986

Also I remember round about 5 - 7 years ago you could pick up a house in morwell fof around 70-80k
    so it's actually done ok already

15. Xiao Hui

Xiao Hui Well-Known Member

Morwell is 150km from Melbourne centre, 90km from Pakenham and just 50km from Warragul.

Any reasonable house and land in Warragul would cost at least $400,000 Now but once you enter into Morwell/Moe area, you can buy something half or less than half this price. The disparity is huge.

I know Morwell/Moe has a bad reputation of being places with little jobs and many migrants etc.. But as towns nearer to Melbourne gets more and more expensive, won't Morwell also experience a bit of the spill over effect? Honesty, where else can you buy houses at $120,000 to $180,000 on 600sqm land, in a reasonably sized town, surrounded by nice scenery, and just 150km away from Melbourne?

Last edited: 28th Jul, 2018
  16. Coastal

Coastal Well-Known Member

How bad is the cheaper part of town?

17. strongy1986

potentially will be interesting to see what happens

18. euro73

19. Cousinit

Cousinit Well-Known Member

Yeah better than nothing . I'm currently looking at Colac too and agree about the dual carriageway. The commute into Geelong and Melbourne will be a heap better . I've watched the town grow for years . There is also quite a bit of industry there now as well .

Warrnambool however is becoming a hole with rising numbers of beneficiaries etc and the problem of being in a safe conservative electorate where not much govt spend happens . Own 1 property there , two in Mortlake and three near Camperdown . Ive only seen modest capital growth but good rental growth . Recently we had an open day for prospective tenants one morning and had 9 different parties look . Very few vacancies.

20. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Got rid of mine in Warrnambool after holding it for about 4 to 5 yrs

10k rise on mine.

Minus agent fees and stamp duty, and any profit was gone

kingstreet75 likes this.