Housing slump "worst in decades"

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Pete Arendt, 24th Aug, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. JohnPropChat

JohnPropChat Well-Known Member

Infrastructure planning is a thing. 200k people/year in one city versus 40k people/year in each city. Infrastructure cycles tend to be much longer so it'll align with that.

2. JohnPropChat

3. Duck1234

Duck1234 Well-Known Member

Rate hike from Westpac

Dark Phoenix likes this.
  4. C-mac

C-mac Well-Known Member

Imagine the other 3 major banks to follow suit...

5. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Doesn't matter if he's just warning the seat for Bill Shorten.

6. Duck1234

Just a matter of time. Otherwise shareholders won’t be happy.

Let’s see whether this is it or there will be a second round.

7. scienceman

scienceman Well-Known Member

It's more a case of 200K a year in two cities. I still don't see how it will work. How will you force people to stay in smaller cities when the pull is so strong towards Sydney and Melb where their relatives/ compatriots and jobs are?

8. Duck1234

Maybe being able to work from home more would help

gman65 likes this.
  9. radson

radson Well-Known Member

yeah comparing Australia to Japan is as useful as comparing Austria to Jamaica.

Sackie and Perthguy like this.
  10. JohnPropChat

A two-step permanent visa where the second stage eligibility depends on fulfilling residency requirements.

wilso8948 likes this.
  11. ollidrac nosaj

ollidrac nosaj Well-Known Member

Australia’s property turnover hits level not seen since 1990

The percentage of Australian properties being bought or sold has fallen to a 28-year low as owners become unwilling to test an increasingly "thin" market.

"New data released in Westpac's August 2018 Housing Pulse reveals housing turnover – that is the number of properties currently being sold relative to all dwelling stock – has fallen to just over 4 percent. This figure represents the lowest point the housing turnover has been since 1990."

Perthguy likes this.
  12. johnmteliza

johnmteliza Well-Known Member

Australia's housing downturn could turn into the 'longest and deepest in modern history'

Randall likes this.
  13. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

“But with the full effect of the tightening in credit criteria and recent hikes in mortgage rates yet to be felt, we suspect this downturn will end up being both the longest and deepest with prices falling by 12% over four years.”

Sounds reasonable to me. Certainly far from the economic armageddon we have been hearing about for years.

johnmteliza likes this.
  14. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

Its actually going to take a lot longer than 4 years untill untill you see any sort of restrictions lifted on housing loans , because a lot of household debt needs to dissappear, that means paying of the principle of the loan.
    In the first 5 years of any loan the principal is hardly touched and most of it goes into interest payments.
    For many loans that are interest only it compounds the problem as the principal is never paid and more and more money needs to be sourced by the banks.
    Or we all get really big pay rises, but in the era of globalization and remaining competitive, that probably wont happen.
    Especially if many have to cut back on discretionary spending as interest rates rise.

15. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

Has the reserve bank (or whichever govt authority) actually said that? that they want levels of household debt to disappear before they recommend APRA loosen up? Makes sense just wondering what the official position was.

16. Perthguy

That assumes everyone is at max borrowing capacity right now. In reality, very few people are. This is a highly speculative position supported by nothing really.

17. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

As reported in yesterdays AFR , Aussie banks are becoming top heavy with residential mortgage loans when compared with how much money is borrowed to business.
    The other issue is that high levels of household indebtedness can actually act as a drag on economic growth , according to the bank of international settlements.
    Clearing up some of that debt can be done two different ways , nice and orderly like whats happening in Australia or we can do it the fast way ,Ireland and the U.S are a good example of this happening , but unfortunately can be quite devastating to some .

Last edited by a moderator: 13th Sep, 2018
    Whitecat likes this.
  18. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

I get the impression a lot that count are ie working home buying families Hence the mortgage stress figures constantly reported and the fact that many got loans they wouldn't get now. Many that aren't at maximum are not necessarily at a stage where they have to or want to buy eg they would only be doing it a an investment But i would like to see the stats You may be right

19. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

"Be fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful. Time and again, the value investor has used this philosophy to pounce on opportunities". Warren Buffett.

Personally I am extremely excited for bigger corrections in OZ. I am not seeing massive opportunities yet. Only some fair ones. I'm gonna be super greedy when the fear gets to its max. I am setting myself up right now to benefit from any large correction in OZ in good areas.

Very exciting times.

Hayden94 likes this.
  20. Perthguy

I don't disagree with any of that but nothing you have stated is evidence that any of this will take longer than 4 years as claimed.