NSW House and Land packages in/around Rouse Hills

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by SteffS, 23rd Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. SteffS

SteffS Well-Known Member

We are looking for an investment property ( 4b house) as part of house and land package and can afford to spend till $900k. Initially we thought about this www.championhomes.com.au/pdf/hl/Lot 10 Proposed Road The Ponds.pdf but dropped the plan so back in market for recommendations. Please share any recommendations for House and Land packages in/around Rouse Hills ( trying to avoid riverstone and schofields)

Steff

2. fols

fols Well-Known Member

Hi Steff

What do I think? I think it's a really bad time to be buying an IP in Sydney. Sydney has been through one massive boom- case in point you are looking at spending almost 1 million dollars for a place in woop woop. With the party surely almost coming to an end, and interest rates on the way up, you risk seeing minimal or even zero capital growth over the next few years. At the end of the last big cycle in around 2003, Sydney did bugger all for quite a few years. During this time Brisbane boomed.

Also, I would never spend so much on one property. Diversification is king. For $900K you could buy two IP's in Brisbane/ outer Melbourne/ Adelaide. 3 even, if you went for some cheapies. This way , you would have a better prognosis for capital growth, a stronger yield and some level of diversification.

Some food for thought.

Last edited: 23rd Apr, 2017
    bamp likes this.
  3. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

There are a few marketing/display shopfronts in Rouse Hill Town centre. There is one near JB HiFi. Others are setup outside Woolies. Also from memory there is another next to McGraths and Aussie Home Loans.

Personally I think northern side of Windsor Road will get better capital growth. I heard a rumour yesterday that Westfields have bought land in Box Hill. Unable to confirm it though. Treat that as a rumour for now. Nevertheless a modern town centre is planned as part of the development.

You might have a tough time sourcing something close ( walking distance ) to Cudgegong Road train station. Would think most sites near there would have been sold ( although I could be mistaken).

It might be lower risk to buy an existing property if rates keep rising. Developers price in price increases.

It is better sourcing Land independently of the builder. Gives you more control. Keep in mind.

@ej89 has good knowledge of the area as well.

Also must say that yields are low in Sydney at the moment. You might be better doing a H&L package elsewhere. Just consider all options.

4. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

/fin

Lock thread please.

5. Micko

Micko Well-Known Member

What is lock thread?

6. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Terry Ryder's latest hot spot.

Som and bamp like this.
  7. ej89

ej89 Well-Known Member

Hey steff
    Shoot me a pm. Happy to chat to you about the area privately.. 900k for that small h&l is no good. Its shot up a lot. I got mine for 620k 2 yrs ago when they were 800k and I think you can find better in Sydney under market value if you'd like.. I wouldn't be buying in NW unless you can get Marsden Park under 550k or Box Hill under 620k for 4 bedders

Chintu and rooster123 like this.
  8. wombat777

Adding to @ej89's post you may find it helpful to compare on a $/sqm basis ( of the overall deal ). You also need to take into account the convenience/amenity in the immediate areas you are looking to buy into. If well-located with respect to shopping facilities, transport then be prepared to pay more. If buying in the new areas make sure you carefully loook at facilities that are planned in the future.

If walking distance to the train stations ( e.g. Cudgegong Road ), be prepared to pay much more / sqm.

9. Joker

Joker Active Member

Would that be because it falls under the Baulkham Hills council?

10. SteffS

SteffS Well-Known Member

On side note, current rentals in Rouse Hills house are little bit less than compared to Winston Hills houses. But after trains are in service, do you think the house prices and rentals will go higher than Winston Hills?

11. wombat777

Winston Hills to Macquarie Park bus takes about 45 minutes.

From figures in the below can deduce that metro from Rouse Hill to Macquarie Park will be 30 minutes.

https://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/sites/default/files/b2b/releases/NWR-to-slash-travel-times.pdf

Other major employment centres on the route are St Leonards and Chatswood.

Once the second part of the link from Chatswood to the City opens in 2024 it will be about 50 minutes to the City.

Very important point is that services will be every 4 minutes. We can assume this will be in peak.

12. wombat777

Median prices are higher because the suburbs in Hills Council are generally more desirable. Leafier, more trees, rolling hills and less industrial. Median wages / salaries are also be higher.

Edit - on 2013 stats Median Hills LGA incomes ($55k) are about 10% higher than Median incomes in Blacktown LGA ($50k).

Castle Hill : Region Data Summary

Sydney - Blacktown : Region Data Summary

13. noogie60

noogie60 Well-Known Member

Sorry to be a pedant but its Rouse Hill, not Rouse Hills

As for an IP - the yield at current prices is pretty low. How much of a loss will it be if interest rates went up to 6-7%? Would you be able to stand that even with negative gearing?
    How long would you have to wait until the capital gain made back the losses?

wombat777 likes this.
  14. SteffS

SteffS Well-Known Member

15. wombat777

Unable to provide any comments as there is no information on the builder.

Make sure you do due diligence on the builder. Also check how long it is before land registers and when construction would start. Try and negotiate a fixed-price contract with a time-limit for the construction period once building approval is issued by council.

If land is not already registered, be careful with contract terms. Particularly sunset clauses. It's worth getting legal advice.

16. ej89

ej89 Well-Known Member

To me Box Hill and Riverstone both have amazing value if you can get land under 400k and finish a small home for 230k

17. wombat777

For Riverstone, this is the key document:

http://www.planning.nsw.gov.au/~/me...verstone-precinct-indicative-layout-plan.ashx

( in that scenario, also try to get within 10 minutes walk of the railway station - whether that be Riverstone, the new Vineyard or the Cudgegong Road station if the later is close enough )

18. ej89

ej89 Well-Known Member

Yep and same developers who did rouse hill shops are doing the town centre in riverstone. Looks brilliant

19. SteffS

SteffS Well-Known Member

Thanks guy re above Tallawong Road property land reg will be in Oct 2018 and build completion by mid 2019.

Builder is Noble Group, plz help me to understand where and how to check if this is ok builder or has any issues?

And btw per google,Tallawong Road is in Rouse Hills, rt and not riverstone?

20. ej89

ej89 Well-Known Member

Yeah it's in Rouse Hill. Its a decent price for Rouse Hill but your rental will be $650/week.. I think you should get the smallest and most affordable block and pick your own builder.. always be the cheapest in these expensive areas if you're set on buying in Sydney..

SteffS likes this.