Technology & Social Media Hotmail/Outlook - emails gone.

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Owlet, 14th Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Owlet

Owlet Well-Known Member

Hi - dummy question
    Hoping someone IT savvy can shed some light on what has happened here. I've have a hotmail account for 17 years. It had something like 55000 emails in it. Logged on recently and I have 15000 emails. I did not delete any. I believe Hotmail changed to Outlook a few years ago - this disappearance of emails has only happened in the last 2 months.

Where did they go? Why would I not have been notified that I would have x date to reduce emails by or back them up? I have lost all my correspondance from PMs. If I did not delete - who accessed my account and did?
    ???? TIA

2. Owlet

Owlet Well-Known Member

Particulalry an issue when one decides to go paperless bills too.

3. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Bills should be downloaded. How do you do your tax return?

WestOz likes this.
  4. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

What happens when you go to deleted items > recover deleted items?

The Y-man

5. The Y-man

How do you access your mail account? Is it only ever through a browser? Have you ever set up an email application (mail, outlook desktop version, or mobile phone)? It sounds like a pop3 set up with you mail account has been set up somewhere.

The Y-man

6. Owlet

Owlet Well-Known Member

I go to ninemsn homepage and then click outlook. (The direct outlook icon on my homescreen takes me direct to my work outlook account). I type in username and password.
    There are only 18 items in my deleted folder when I did as you suggested.

On my phone I press the envelope icon and this goes direct to my hotmail/outlook account. There have been times when some emails would be on my computer but not show up on my phone.

7. Owlet

Owlet Well-Known Member

Assuming it is all lost.
    What is best moving forward? I guess Google and I get acquainted while I learn how to back up my emails and save them to a hard drive.

8. The Y-man

1. If you do a search on an old email that has gone missing, does it appear? (maybe in a filtered view mode)
    2. Does the same issue exist in the sent items folder?

The Y-man

9. Owlet

Owlet Well-Known Member

Y-man thanks for helping. I may have figured it out? I sorted emails from old to new and some from 2008 came up which is good. When you said look at the sent ones - I see it had a number 2 - then I recall a work colleague telling me the number in bold is the number of emails not read. So I potentiallt have 15000 unread emails but my other 40000 may still be there. Anyways I guess I better start sorting through them and backing up.
    Any tips on saving emails? I have a 1TB external harddrive and was going to sort, file and save.

Perthguy likes this.
  10. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Phew! @Owlet. Stress attack!

I also have hotmail/outlook and I have some important emails in there. For anything tax, I download, save and back up. But there are others not backed up. If you find out how to do it, could you please post?

Owlet likes this.
  11. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

Stepping back - it is important to note that if you have "free" email there are ultimately no expectations on retention. There is also a real risk that a small issue could mean your data is gone.

The second thing is to remember that email is not an archival solution, many people use it this way but unless you go out of your way - it is not suitable for this. It isn't suitable at work and certainly not at home.

That being said, I do use my home email as an archive but I do back up archives (in my case by year) to different backup locations.

So, in short, don't rely on it.

12. datto

datto Well-Known Member

You the terradata thing that all ISPs and telcos have to keep copies of your data etc Maybe, you can retrieve lost emails through them? Just a guess.

13. The Y-man

Easier for those of us with MS Office Outlook (i.e. desktop version), by using the archiving rules and pst files.

For those without MS Office, I suggest a mail app like Thunderbird, which can create msf files on your PC/laptop which you can then backup onto removable drives (or cloud if you trust the security)

You can set up Thunderbird, connect it to your mail service

Thunderbird and Hotmail | Thunderbird Help

then follow the instrucitons on the link below:

Archiving emails in Mozilla Thunderbird | PagePlay

The Y-man

mikey7 and Perthguy like this.
  14. Perthguy

I have office with outlook @The Y-man. I mever set it up with hotmail though. Sounds like maybe I should. Thanks for the info.

15. Liberator

Liberator Member

Not sure if this will help but when you are viewing Hotmail via the browser, go to the Inbox screen & check whether it is split into "Focused" and "Other". If it is, and you don't want it split up like this, go to the down arrow next to "Filter" and uncheck "Show Focused Inbox".

Also yes as per another post in this thread the number in bold next to "Inbox" is usually the number of unread emails, not the total number of emails.

Perthguy likes this.
  16. Owlet

Owlet Well-Known Member

Thanks - that tip helped. I wondered why it did the focussed /other thing.
    Perthguy - haven't worked out an easy way yet.

Perthguy and Liberator like this.
  17. Liberator

Liberator Member

Glad to hear it! :)
    I guess the folks at Microsoft thought it would be a useful feature to foist onto everyone haha.

18. Perthguy

I hate it and switched it off immediately.

19. Liberator

Liberator Member

Maybe I should have put quotes around "useful"...

Perthguy likes this.