Hot water systems.

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by The_good_life, 2nd Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. The_good_life

The_good_life Well-Known Member

Our hot water system has finally given out after over 10 years and we need to replace it asap. We have a Rheem outdoor storage system at the moment.

I'm after suggestions on energy efficient ones in the market (We've been quoted a price on a Dux about 1400 with installation). As we haven't had to worry about buying one for a while, we're unsure on the latest on what's out there and if Dux is any good?

From what I can tell, Rheem, Rinnai are the most recommended?
    I guess considerations for us are - energy efficiency, timer based heating would be great!

Any suggestions would be very helpful! thank you, this is for our PPOR

Thanks!

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

If it comes with a 10 yr warranty there shouldn't be too many issues to worry about.

DUX has been around forever.

The_good_life likes this.
  3. Stu

Stu Well-Known Member

We have a Dux that is still going strong after 14 years (touch wood). A lot of them are used in the project house market in WA - they are a known brand and seem reliable. I would happily replace with another Dux product.

The_good_life likes this.
  4. The_good_life

The_good_life Well-Known Member

Great. thanks guys.
    Also would you know much about storage gas/continuous flow? I know they cater for different volumes but apart from that any benefits or one over the other?

Thanks again.

5. Scott No Mates

It's outdoor so I assume you're talking gas.

Continuous flow (instantaneous) only heats the water you use, slight delay in getting water to the tap, small wall mounted box.

Storage on ground drum which comes in various sizes to suit number of users. Heats up the whole lot of the water. Has a recovery time (reheat).

6. Davothegreat

Davothegreat Well-Known Member

We changed over from a heat pump to continuous flow gas last week at our PPOR. Biggest difference so far is reclaiming the use of the path along the side of the house as the old tank made it difficult to walk past.

In case anyone's wondering, we ditched the heat pump because we used to spend most of winter running off the 100 litre electric booster as Sydney winters are too cold for the heat pump to do its thing and it also used to break down on average every 18 months or so and any time it was a refrigeration issue it used to take over a month to fix due to a shortage of refrigeration tradies.

7. ross100

ross100 Well-Known Member

which would you prefer storage gas/continuous flow in Melbourne for a family of 4

8. joel

joel Well-Known Member

How much do you generally need to fork out to get one of these fully installed?

9. Davothegreat

The continuous flow 26 litre unit itself cost me $950 but I can't really provide the installation cost as we just had the gas meter installed so the gas lines had to be freshly run for hot water and for the kitchen and the installation part of the bill wasn't itemised.

10. joel

joel Well-Known Member

OK. I see you can get an electric HWS for under 1K from Bunnings/Masters - is there something I'm missing? I thought it'd be circa $3K to replace

11. Davothegreat

To compare electric tanks to continuous flow gas you need to factor in what is already there - if existing is gas and you want electric then in addition to your plumbing connection costs you need to add in the cost of a sparky to run a separate power circuit for the HWS, you'll also want to have your energy company change your meter over to support off peak 1 or 2 depending on your needs.

If existing is electric and you want continuous flow gas then you need a gas meter installed (this was free for us but took 11 weeks to get done), assuming one isn't already there, gas lines run and a sparky to install an outdoor power point for the pilot light.

If you're considering gas and don't already have a gas meter at your property, your first point of call should be your energy company to see if it's available to you or not - it's not available everywhere.

12. joel

joel Well-Known Member

Assuming like-for-like replacement - the cheapest option :)

13. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I would go continuous flow any time over storage gas.

sauber likes this.
  14. Starlite

Starlite Well-Known Member

Hi,

I am about to replace my electrical hot water tank with a continuous flow 26litre... i just got my gas meter installed.. i was wondering how much it cost you to get yours installed? did you use dux from bunnings?. any feedbacks will be appreciated :)

15. markson

markson Well-Known Member

On this note it looks like I will be up for a new hot water system soon. Just purchased an IP and the current hot water system was installed in 1997 :eek::eek::eek::eek:

16. Scott No Mates

Surely Bunnies aren't the cheapest supplier of hws around? Have you looked at Tradelink, Plumbers Supplies etc?

17. Elives

Elives Well-Known Member

bunnings / masters will be the cheapest for the public if you have a trade card / a.b.n plumbing stores may be cheaper.

18. Starlite

Have looked at appliances online.. i have a trade card with bunnings so can get a bit of discount.. jus got my first quote today from a plumber.. rinnai 26l continuous system, removal of old tank, power point, gas from meter for $2.5k

19. Starlite

I saw online that bunnings installation at $299.. thats why i was interested.. they havent given me a quote yet.. prob more since they need to run new pipe.

20. drg86

drg86 Well-Known Member

My gas bill halved after I changed a gas storage system to a gas continuous flow. It's a Dux and was about $800. I sold the old system for $500 so really cost me $300 :cool:

Starlite and Elives like this.