Hot water not consistent

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by ATANG, 9th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. ATANG

ATANG Well-Known Member

i have a bosch hot water system and always have had the issue of hot water being not consistent. That is when we turn on hot water, it just became so hot that we have to turn cold bigger but once we done that, hot water get lost very quickly. And this includes shower where the warm water stays only a minute or so then suddenly cold water cames in and have to turn both tap off and return on again. It used to be not that crazy but lately it's been happening more frequently. Does anyone know what could be the reason?

I checked the machine and it had the output as the lowest end at the left, so I pulled it to the right where it says more output... After that I checked it seems as more hot water flow in kitchen but the bathroom water temperature issue still remains.

I checked YouTube (how to remove the water saver from a shower head) and it says some shower head had the water restriction thing so I took off the shower head and no, there's no such thing in there....

Attached Files:

Last edited: 9th Jan, 2016
  2. rhinsor

rhinsor Well-Known Member

I had this problem over the past few months in the place I am renting.
    The water would go cold in a few minutes or hot then cold and back and forward.
    Recently the hot water just stopped working.

The landlord fixed it by removing the water restriction. No idea where is it located.
    It was something about how the hot water system works by measuring water pressure.

3. LifesGood

LifesGood Well-Known Member

How old is the hot water system? Could be time for a new one.

Elives likes this.
  4. ATANG

ATANG Well-Known Member

5. rhinsor

exact same as mine.

6. Random Username

Random Username Well-Known Member

These Hot water units need a certain amount of flow to operate, water saving shower heads restrict this flow.

The second pic shows the restrictor, there will be a rubber washer in the end of the thread, carefully take that out.

Then remove the black colored X part, put the washer back in, teflon tape the male thread then screw it back on.

This should fix it, if not, I'm not sure what else it could be.

ATANG likes this.
  7. ATANG

ATANG Well-Known Member

I took out the washer but there's nothing else that i can take out.... the X thing is steel built in there....

8. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I'd suggest getting a different type of shower head.

If the hot water works fine in normal taps (kitchen, bathroom) and it's just the shower then it will be your shower head.

Buy one that the water flow restrictor can be taken out.

9. Random Username

Get a pair of pointy nosed pliers or suitable sized screwdriver, and remove the X part and the rubber restrictor will fall out.

It is only held in by spring tension.

20160109_180825.jpg

ATANG likes this.
  10. ATANG

ATANG Well-Known Member

You are right!!! I didn't realize I had to do it that rough, lol. Finally got it taken out and yes!! That solved all the problem!!! Although I realize the water flow is now super strong, I assume that will bump up the water bill? Any idea how I can make it lower? I went to the main tap outside the house and turn it off and turned it back on but just a round. Hopefully that won't make too much increase of the water bill...

11. ATANG

ATANG Well-Known Member

Another question regarding the hot water machine, is it normal that the pipe around it to be hot? I accidentally touched one and wow, that was ironing hot.

12. rhinsor

If you touched the one with the hot water then yes it will be hot. It is not insulated.

13. ATANG

ATANG Well-Known Member

Thanks. Just want to make sure there's nothing wrong of it. :)

14. rhinsor

Happy showering! :D

Gockie likes this.
  15. Random Username

Only if you turn the taps on!

Yes, reverse the instructions I gave above!

You should still be able to control the flow from the shower taps (so as not to use too much water) and still have it all operate correctly.

16. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

You'll find that you can have quicker showers now that water comes out freely and you aren't playing the the temp all the time/

17. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

They work on flow, you either do not have enough flow or a valve/s are not operating properly.

If you have a later version that is restricted to 50 odd degrees, you should have nearly no cold water turned on, if you did turn it on fast, or opened another tap nearby, it could drop the flow enough to cut the gas.

Get someone who knows that system well to look at it for you if it is not just your use of the taps causing the problem.